Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default Spikes Tactical AR review (preliminary inspection)



Advertise Here

I recenttly ordered a Spikes full 16'" mid-length complete upper from Aimsurplus ( $479 even) and a Spikes complete lower ( retractable stock) from Brownells ($249 + S&H) . I'm a long time happy AIM customer, but this was my first experience with Brownells. Thumbs up to both operations for good products and fast shipping.
I went to my FFL earlier today to pick up the lower, and UPS delivered the upper an hour ago.
I gave both a full inspection, with flashlight, reading glasses and my ever trusty jumbo Tasco magnifying glass.
The rifle came well oiled,internally, and looks and smells like it had been test fired ( presumably,satisfactorily).
The finish on both upper and lower was absolutely perfect. No inconsistencies whatsoever. There were no machining marks anywhere, inside or out ( someone on this or another forum had mentioned some light machining marks inside the lower reciever, but this one is smooth as glass).There are no rough edges,burrs,sharp corners, nothing.
All lettering is perfectly clear,level and evenly spaced.
I inserted and released an old mil-spec Adventure Line, a C-Products and a P-Mag magazine, several times. All fit perfectly,with very little play, and all dropped free as expected.
The feed ramps look,to my eye, to be perfectly machined, evenly spaced and identical.
The trigger has a very tiny bit of creep,then a crisp release. I've definately had worse.
All functions seem normal, bolt catch,bolt release,mag release,safety,etc.
The stock seems to be the (now) standard synthetic 5-position unit, and functions normally.
The heavier barrel makes this a tiny bit more front heavy than my old Colt
SP1 carbine, but it's really barely noticable.
I'm still deciding between iron sights or scoping it., but I already ordered a fixed Daniel Defense rear sight from Brownells, which I expect by the week-end ( fingers crossed),but even if it doesn't arrive by then, I may still take it out for at least a shoot-from-the-hip reliability test ( how could I not ?)
Anyway,without having fired it, I am VERY satidfied with what I'm seeing as far as the product and quality control go.
Many thanks to all that have chimed in with advice/info during my recent threads concerning this latest toy.We're expecting nasty weather this weekend, but I hope to get out and blast a few and give a follow-up report, and I may be able to get my niece to help me post a few pics, hopefully including a couple quarter-sized ragged holes from 100 yards !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
I recenttly ordered a Spikes full 16'" mid-length complete upper from Aimsurplus ( $479 even) and a Spikes complete lower ( retractable stock) from Brownells ($249 + S&H) . I'm a long time happy AIM customer, but this was my first experience with Brownells. Thumbs up to both operations for good products and fast shipping.
I went to my FFL earlier today to pick up the lower, and UPS delivered the upper an hour ago.
I gave both a full inspection, with flashlight, reading glasses and my ever trusty jumbo Tasco magnifying glass.
The rifle came well oiled,internally, and looks and smells like it had been test fired ( presumably,satisfactorily).
The finish on both upper and lower was absolutely perfect. No inconsistencies whatsoever. There were no machining marks anywhere, inside or out ( someone on this or another forum had mentioned some light machining marks inside the lower reciever, but this one is smooth as glass).There are no rough edges,burrs,sharp corners, nothing.
All lettering is perfectly clear,level and evenly spaced.
I inserted and released an old mil-spec Adventure Line, a C-Products and a P-Mag magazine, several times. All fit perfectly,with very little play, and all dropped free as expected.
The trigger has a very tiny bit of creep,then a crisp release. I've definately had worse.
All functions seem normal, bolt catch,bolt release,mag release,safety,etc.
The stock seems to be the (now) standard synthetic 5-position unit, and functions normally.
The heavier barrel makes this a tiny bit more front heavy than my old Colt
SP1 carbine, but it's really barely noticable.
I'm still deciding between iron sights or scoping it., but I already ordered a fixed Daniel Defense rear sight from Brownells, which I expect by the week-end ( fingers crossed),but even if it doesn't arrive by then, I may still take it out for at least a shoot-from-the-hip reliability test ( how could I not ?)
Anyway,without having fired it, I am VERY satidfied with what I'm seeing as far as the product and quality control go.
Many thanks to all that have chimed in with advice/info during my recent threads concerning this latest toy.We're expecting nasty weather this weekend, but I hope to get out and blast a few and give a follow-up report, and I may be able to get my niece to help me post a few pics, hopefully including a couple quarter-sized ragged holes from 100 yards !!!
Sounds great brother! Can you take some pics of what you have and let us see them?
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
Sounds great brother! Can you take some pics of what you have and let us see them?
Yeah, bro,I hope to, but I'm so computer illterate that I almost threw a party when I learned how to "copy & paste" LOL !!! But, I'll be at my brothers house this week-end, and my niece knows how to do that stuff, I'll see if she can post some for me, maybe I'll even learn something myself .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Norinco982lover Norinco982lover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 98
Thanks: 148
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Is the gas key properly staked? Google for a properly staked one if you don't know what I mean. This is important.

Sounds great.

~Norinco
The Following User Says Thank You to Norinco982lover For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM
SmokeEater2's Avatar
SmokeEater2 SmokeEater2 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 269
Thanks: 156
Thanked 282 Times in 121 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats! The Spike's rifles are some of the best available right now. All mil-spec and priced right!
They are fast gaining a reputation for quality and for good reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmokeEater2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 AM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norinco982lover View Post
Is the gas key properly staked? Google for a properly staked one if you don't know what I mean. This is important.
Yep, like the rest of this rifle, I'd say the staking appears about as perfect as possible, as good, if not even more uniform than in this photo.
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index....sk=view&id=258
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
Congrats! The Spike's rifles are some of the best available right now. All mil-spec and priced right!
They are fast gaining a reputation for quality and for good reason.
I'll second that one bro!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Yep, like the rest of this rifle, I'd say the staking appears about as perfect as possible, as good, if not even more uniform than in this photo.
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index....sk=view&id=258
TOTALLY awesome site bro! Thanks a million for sharing!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Yeah, bro,I hope to, but I'm so computer illterate that I almost threw a party when I learned how to "copy & paste" LOL !!! But, I'll be at my brothers house this week-end, and my niece knows how to do that stuff, I'll see if she can post some for me, maybe I'll even learn something myself .
Awww come on now! Point and click....just like on the shooting range!

A safe and good Memorial Day weekend to you and yours. Let's ALL remember, give thanks, and tip one to ALL who sacrificed ALL their tomorrows so that we may have ours.
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
SgtBooker44's Avatar
SgtBooker44 SgtBooker44 is offline
Ron Swanson 2016
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 31,430
Thanks: 4,364
Thanked 26,192 Times in 13,690 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Congrats,

Can't wait for the range report and the big grin that goes with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Congrats,

Can't wait for the range report and the big grin that goes with it.
For sure we need a range report on this being your first AR platform.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:08 PM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
For sure we need a range report on this being your first AR platform.
LOL,bro, this ain't my first AR, just my most recent !!
My first gun purchase ever was a Colt Sp1 carbine back when stationed at Camp Pendleton in the early '80s. A few years ago, I Sold that for $1000 cash and very nice Fender Stratocaster. Then I put together a Colt tri-guard A1 upper with a RR lower, and traded that for the SP1 back. Later, I again sold the SP1 during the post-election panic for $1800 !!! Then the guy with the Colt/Rock River needed the money,sold it back to me for about what I had in it originally
($800) . THEN, i traded another guitar and amp to a freind of a freind for a S&W M&P 15 with a Eotech 512 and a bunch of ammo and accessories ( I scammed,wholesale !! ). I then traded the Eotech for two slabbed 1/10 ounce Gold Eagles, and sold the S&W and 1/2 the ammo to a work freind for a grand.
Then, fairly recently, I traded the Colt/RR to a good old buddy for his old Hungarian SA-85 AK-47. I really love that rifle, but later regretted letting that AR go, and was unsuccessful trying to trade for it back, which brings me full circle to this latest toy. WHEW !!
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default Spikes AR pic.......

Hey guys, while I seem to have pushed my beloved niece's computer skills to their limits, she pulled it off !! I tossed the rifle into a vintage Telecaster case for contrast, but the fact that she took it with her cell phone limited the clarity just a bit,LOL !!! Anyway,here it is. Added on is the Daniel Defense fixed sight I mentioned earlier.



Click image for larger version

Name:	asdftg.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	31314 ..........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
GoodOlFroathyOne's Avatar
GoodOlFroathyOne GoodOlFroathyOne is offline
11B20 - Status Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Age: 34
Posts: 5,033
Thanks: 3,497
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Hey guys, while I seem to have pushed my beloved niece's computer skills to their limits, she pulled it off !! I tossed the rifle into a vintage Telecaster case for contrast, but the fact that she took it with her cell phone limited the clarity just a bit,LOL !!! Anyway,here it is. Added on is the Daniel Defense fixed sight I mentioned earlier.



Attachment 31314 ..........
you jerk Mil-Dot! lol

I want to pick up one of those cases for my strat
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Hey guys, while I seem to have pushed my beloved niece's computer skills to their limits, she pulled it off !! I tossed the rifle into a vintage Telecaster case for contrast, but the fact that she took it with her cell phone limited the clarity just a bit,LOL !!! Anyway,here it is. Added on is the Daniel Defense fixed sight I mentioned earlier.



Attachment 31314 ..........
WHOA! Nice firestick bro! Even the cell phone clarity ain't too shabby! Range report ASAP please. What barrel twist you sporting on it? 1:7? 8? Or 9? Chrome? Yes? No? Maybe?

Last edited by American ME!; 05-29-2010 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Being nosey
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
LOL,bro, this ain't my first AR, just my most recent !!
My first gun purchase ever was a Colt Sp1 carbine back when stationed at Camp Pendleton in the early '80s. A few years ago, I Sold that for $1000 cash and very nice Fender Stratocaster. Then I put together a Colt tri-guard A1 upper with a RR lower, and traded that for the SP1 back. Later, I again sold the SP1 during the post-election panic for $1800 !!! Then the guy with the Colt/Rock River needed the money,sold it back to me for about what I had in it originally
($800) . THEN, i traded another guitar and amp to a freind of a freind for a S&W M&P 15 with a Eotech 512 and a bunch of ammo and accessories ( I scammed,wholesale !! ). I then traded the Eotech for two slabbed 1/10 ounce Gold Eagles, and sold the S&W and 1/2 the ammo to a work freind for a grand.
Then, fairly recently, I traded the Colt/RR to a good old buddy for his old Hungarian SA-85 AK-47. I really love that rifle, but later regretted letting that AR go, and was unsuccessful trying to trade for it back, which brings me full circle to this latest toy. WHEW !!
'Sounds like me with the "horse trading" I've done in the past with ones I've owned. I'm happy with both of mine and I don't plan trading them, but another purchase of one is not an impossibility either.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
MIL-DOT's Avatar
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
huh......what?
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 11,492
Thanks: 14,775
Thanked 32,067 Times in 7,933 Posts
Default

Yeah, GOFO, that Tele was bought in California about the same time I got that old Colt car-15, but I since had it re-fretted, and later traded.The case somehow has remained with us over the years.
American ME, this rifle has a 1:7 twist. I'd have prefered something a little slower, since nearly all of my ammo is 55 gr., but as I understand, I can still get by OK, but I'll soon be asking for help finding deals on something heavier.
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and bust a few, but we're pretty socked in right now. Still, I hope to at least jump out the back of the truck and blast a quick mag just to do a brief reliability check.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM
American ME!'s Avatar
American ME! American ME! is offline
Don't eat bowls of stupid
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,022
Thanks: 4,869
Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Yeah, GOFO, that Tele was bought in California about the same time I got that old Colt car-15, but I since had it re-fretted, and later traded.The case somehow has remained with us over the years.
American ME, this rifle has a 1:7 twist. I'd have prefered something a little slower, since nearly all of my ammo is 55 gr., but as I understand, I can still get by OK, but I'll soon be asking for help finding deals on something heavier.
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and bust a few, but we're pretty socked in right now. Still, I hope to at least jump out the back of the truck and blast a quick mag just to do a brief reliability check.
All this info I've been gettin lately on barrel twists in these AR's is really getting me curious. Both of mine are 1:9's, a 16" and 20" and both are chrome. I'm really focused on a proper round selection for maximum accuracy. I've no gripes with either the 55gr or 62gr, but I'm open for suggestions, GOFO, jump in anytime on this one bro, although you jump in anyways...HA HA HA!
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Goethic's Avatar
Goethic Goethic is offline
May the Lord be with us
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 7,713
Thanked 8,085 Times in 3,259 Posts
Default

Excellent initial description and the photo looks just fine. Your choice of components was top notch... I''m thinking your range report is going to be outstanding. Again, congratulations on a smart buy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 PM
GoodOlFroathyOne's Avatar
GoodOlFroathyOne GoodOlFroathyOne is offline
11B20 - Status Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Age: 34
Posts: 5,033
Thanks: 3,497
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
All this info I've been gettin lately on barrel twists in these AR's is really getting me curious. Both of mine are 1:9's, a 16" and 20" and both are chrome. I'm really focused on a proper round selection for maximum accuracy. I've no gripes with either the 55gr or 62gr, but I'm open for suggestions, GOFO, jump in anytime on this one bro, although you jump in anyways...HA HA HA!
The 1:9 is supposed to be a 'do-it-all' twist. 1:7 was made specifically for the 62gr ammo and more importantly a tracer that has the same ballistics as the ball ammo.

55 was originally intended for a 1:12 barrel.

With a 1:9 the sweet spot should be 60gr but you can zero with just about anything, 55 shoots fine, 62 maybe a little better. Best bet is to experiment with commercial loads to find one that works best (tightest groups) or if you reload you can basically send a turd down range and figure out the right propellant to get good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ar-15, mil-spec ar-15, shtf survival rifle, spikes tactical, spikes tactical ar-15, survival rifle



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net