Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Default FoodSaver - good or bad idea?

Advertise Here

Does anyone have any experience with vacuum sealers - the FoodSaver brand in particular?

My wife and I were planning on getting one but after doing some reading on the internet I am a little hesitant. The overwhelming majority of posts from consumers on product review web sites were negative. The major problems seem to be that the units quit working after a few uses, or the heating strip burns out and is non-replaceable, or the vacuum motor will run but the unit will not remove the air. FoodSaver also got very bad reviews for customer service and not allowing returns.

Before I change my mind on buying one I wanted to see if anyone had positive/negative recomendations.

We mainly plan on using it to seal meat for the freezer and vacuum sealing mason jars of dehydrated foods. I have also seen videos on You-Tube showing how to vacuum seal Maylar bags to eliminate the need for O2 absorbers.

thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Br'er Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,521 Times in 13,352 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I have one. It's about 11 years old. It still works. The bags are the issue. They seal fine, buy within hours, air can creep in. The site www.dehydrate2store.com suggests thicker bags and she uses a commercial unit for long term. That's my nest processing equipment buy.

The teflon strip over the hearing element on mine has started tro come loose, It's the same length as the ones in use, I measured them. Customer Service says there is no way to re-attach and parts are no longer available. But the good news is they will sell me a new one.

I wouldn't buy another one. Mind didn't get that much use except in the last 2 years.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,409 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

I have a FoodSaver that I have used for YEARS without any problems. I bought it as "factory reconditioned" at a BIG discount, and have NEVER had any problems with it, and I use it a LOT. use it to vacuum-seal meats for the freezer, and bags of flour, sugar, dried beans, grains, boxes of salt, baking soda, etc. for my storage room...basically anything that's NOT in cans or jars, so that I can seal out moisture, bugs, air, etc and extend the storage life.

When you are going to be sealing a large amount of stuff in one session, then you might need to open it up and let the sealing strip cool down a bit for a few minutes every so often, otherwise it can melt the plastic on the bags too much. I just use that time to put the stuff I've already sealed into tote bags to take down to my storage area later.

Also, I've found that double sealing each end helps to prevent seal "failures". That, and make sure when you are sealing, that the bag ends are straight, as wrinkles will prevent it from sealing properly.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM

I've had one for at least 8 years, the same machine, and it works fine. I've used the heck out of it. It's great for saving money by buying meats in bulk. I'll load up on sales item and store it in my chest freezer. I've opened steaks and chicken after a year in the deep freeze and it tastes like you bought it a week ago!
Also, it's great for vacuum sealing seeds, etc. and items for the BOB! Also it makes for easier, compact storage of these items by removing the air.
I find that I don't buy the pre made bags. I buy the cut to length rolls (their cheaper). I can tailor them as small or as big as needed. To reduce the likelihood of a deflation, I double seal the bottom of the bag, then fill it with, whatever, then vacuum and seal away!

Get one; great tool, great investment!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM

I have sealed up many a deer with mine. The only gripe that I have with mine is that the heating element will overheat if sealing many bags repeatedly (as when butchering an animal) but with use you learn to seal a few, then go back to cutting, then back to sealing. When it overheats, it just goes into a cool down mode for a few minutes and won't do anything. I personally would not be without one. They do take a little practice to perfect the art of sealing, especially with anything wet, but I am really surprised at how durable mine has been. I have eaten venison that was two years old (got lost in the bottom of the freezer) that was perfectly fine, no freezer burn or off taste. I also use it to store mozzarella cheese and pepperoni that I buy in 5 lb packs at Sam's and it works perfectly (not to mention peppers from the garden, last a long, long, time).
Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Trapper

I have the old Dazey Seal A Meal from when it came in a box with a beehive-haired woman on it. I was able to use FoodSaver bags with it despite the bag holder nubs. I had to clean it off and you have to wait no longer than several minutes. But if you do it right you don't have a caramel effect nor do you have an improper seal. I find it wonderful for mix packets or oatmeal. It isn't rodent-proof so a metal box is necessary. Eventually I'd love to stick in some oxygen absorbers.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,223 Times in 1,570 Posts

I have a food saver and it's one of the main tools I consider nessesary for food storage. I have never had a bag loss it's seal UNLESS I am packing a sharp product like pasta or dried potatoes. I double bag when I do those items now or use a small mylar bag.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM

I have been thinking of getting one mainly for the purpose of sealing and compacting various items in my first aid kits as well as BOB's and the like. usnerdoc on youtube has a few great videos on it, really sold me on the idea. He recommended getting one of the cheap $20 ones and a separate heat sealer. I have not decided what to do yet. These posts are reassuring that this product is an option. Thanks folks!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Prepared

is there a better brand out there or is FoodSaver about it?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 AM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,016 Times in 973 Posts

I use a food saver for various survival tasks and for preserving food in my freezer from getting freezer burn.

You can shrink things like clothes, documents and matches.

One thing to avoid though, do not vacuum pack straight cased or pitol ammo, it pulls on the bullets and can change OAL. Not suitable method of packing ammunition.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,031 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halkon View Post
I use a food saver for various survival tasks and for preserving food in my freezer from getting freezer burn.

You can shrink things like clothes, documents and matches.

One thing to avoid though, do not vacuum pack straight cased or pitol ammo, it pulls on the bullets and can change OAL. Not suitable method of packing ammunition.
Vacuum pack ammo in the plastic cases (the ones with rounded edges), works perfectly.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

I bought the mid-price-range FoodSaver about a year ago and use it fairly regularly.

Pasta - double bagged, I use a thick "freezer"-style storage bag for the inner bag
Dry Pet Food - double bagged, again thick "freezer" storage bag for the inner bag
Flour, sugar, dried beans, rice, dehydrated foods

I haven't had any problems with mine - but thanks (ya'll) for the heads up on giving the heat strip a chance to cool every so often.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM

looking at getting one too
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,797 Times in 808 Posts

The food saver works great. there are even a series of videos here at the board that show you how to use them in conjunction with mylar bags for extra protection.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,816 Times in 30,675 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

I haven't had any problems with the Food Saver. I probably haven't put as many miles on mine over the years as some folks, but it has worked flawlessly. It won't replace the O2 absorber for some applications though. It removes a lot of the air, but depending on what you're storing, the O2 level can still be high enough to allow degradation.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM

I've been thinking of getting one.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
LASSIE! (I did it again)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
I have sealed up many a deer with mine. The only gripe that I have with mine is that the heating element will overheat if sealing many bags repeatedly (as when butchering an animal) but with use you learn to seal a few, then go back to cutting, then back to sealing. When it overheats, it just goes into a cool down mode for a few minutes and won't do anything. I personally would not be without one. They do take a little practice to perfect the art of sealing, especially with anything wet, but I am really surprised at how durable mine has been. I have eaten venison that was two years old (got lost in the bottom of the freezer) that was perfectly fine, no freezer burn or off taste. I also use it to store mozzarella cheese and pepperoni that I buy in 5 lb packs at Sam's and it works perfectly (not to mention peppers from the garden, last a long, long, time).
Where did you find a bag big enough for a deer?
The Following User Says Thank You to timmyzinthewell For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Default FoodSaver - good or bad idea?

Yeah Dear!!! I am using Food Saver from 20 years........It is instrument which keep your food fresh and flavorful... the food life will be fresh 3 to 5 times more than previous one.....I can not live without my food saver.... i am a bank accountant and always want to eat fresh food........ In my words Eat Healthy............... Live Healthy........that i will always recommend u ...do'nt think Go and Buy
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,643 Times in 6,103 Posts

I use my foodsaver at least 7-10 times a month. I have saved a lot of money on food with it. I also use it numerous times for non-food items such as sealing documents or camping gear. GREAT investment. Look on Craigslist for a used one and test it out first. I got mine for 20$ over a year ago. The bags are costly, but get the "seal a meal" bags that work just as well and are cheaper.