Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,833 Times in 815 Posts
Default Vertical gardening how-to

Advertise Here

Good for small spaces or for increasing your yield in your existing garden; instructable here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,779 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

I've grown just about every garden vegetable vertically, a great way in Florida to reduce fungus infections. Cukes, beans, squash, tomatoes, even watermelon (I suspended the melons in panyhose.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Yep, vertical is how I do my peas, beans, cukes, vining tomatoes, squash, and most of my melons. If it "vines", it goes vertical, except for the butternut squash or pumpkin that I plant in with my corn and beans in the "three sisters" method. That way, I have the REST of the planting space for my OTHER "crops". (and old pantyhose "hammocks" for melons and larger squash are the BEST!)
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts

Just as an example... back in 2007, I tried an experiment. I took a 55 gal plastic drum, from a Cheese Factory, and cut it in half. I now have 2 half barrels. Connected a nylon square grid trellis to my existing 4 line clothes line. Evenly spaced the 2 half barrels under the 4 line clothes line set-up.

Each 1/2 barrel was planted with 4 seeds. Total of 8 seeds of cantaloupe melon. They trailed up the trellis and took full advantage of the 4 line clothes line as a canopy, of sorts. Used ladies nylons as SLINGS for the growing/riping fruit.

I harvested over 50+ Cantaloupe (8 seeds) from that 1st experiment. I haven't tried it since.... only because I wanted to PROVE it can be done. (cantaloupe was my mother's favorite treat, and she is no longer alive. I did it for her)

I will be the 1st to admit... it was HIGH MAINTENANCE to sling all those fruits with the nylons..... BUT..... each barrel took, MAYBE.... a 2ftx2ft of yard space. Sure did make mowing/weeding a BREEZE!!!!

For those living in a tiny city lot, with very limited space.... THIS WAS PERFECT!!!!