Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,832 Times in 815 Posts
Default Storing diesel fuel

Advertise Here

Angeryamerican was relating how he found a good deal on an 85 Suburban diesel and it got me to thinking - how does one store diesel? Does it have the same limited lifespan that regular gasoline does? Can you put it into a 'gas' can, or do you need something different?

Not asking because we have anything diesel, but I bet Angeryamerican and anybody with a diesel something-or-other would like to know.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,084 Times in 4,510 Posts

Diesel does not degrade the same as gasoline. However, it does support microbe growth if contaminated with moisture. mix in a diesel additive and it will keep for many years.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Hiker

+10 to what hick said. there are a few good products on the market to stabalize for long term storage. at my old job we used a product called diesal 911 they had it in stabalizer form and then they had the "oh **** the fuel line is froze" version.
also another popular one is Pri D
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Trapper

Get a good underground/aboveground (but camoflauged) tank and use the additives, Diesel will store for 10+ years easy.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM
RIP America 1776-2012

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,000 Posts

Though there will be variances due to the means in which they are stored, gasoline with stabilizers only keeps for about two years while diesel with stabilizers will keep for about ten.

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -
Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,299 Times in 31,231 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Diesel has a much longer storage life than gas. Same with kerosene. There are preservatives you can add to extend that life. The more common ones are Stabil and PRI. PRI outperforms Stabil by enough of a margin that I'm surprised more people don't use it. It also allows for retreatment. You can get 10 years or more easily with diesel using PRI-D.

The big downside to diesel is that it can absorb moisture and get bacteria growth. Minimizing exposure to air is probably the best way to prevent this. A bladder tank is good because it always rides the surface of the fuel, rather than just allowing more headspace in the tank as the fuel level goes down. There are additives to help prevent this also, but it's something to consider when planning out storage. Down here in the dry desert, I just use 55 gallon drums. I probably won't get as long of storage life as if I used a bladder, but it works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: