Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Looking for help with 275 gallon IBC totes...

Advertise Here

Recently purchased (3) 275 gallon IBC totes that were used with a bladder for baby food ingredients (food safe). Members of our prep group are going to use these to supplement our water storage and we need to figure out some type of outlet valve. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because every other IBC tote I've ever seen has a 2" NPT threaded discharge coming off the the outlet valve. The tanks we picked up have what appears to be a 3.5" buttress threaded tube coming out of the butterfly valve. Our problem is that I can't even find a reference to anything 3.5" on an IBC tote. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with the various fittings/valves which is why I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction. Basically, I'm looking for some type of connection to go from 3.5" buttress thread down to a 2" NPT thread (or some other size NPT thread) so that I can install a hose spigot and hose to the water tank (makes periodic draining/refilling MUCH easier). Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

Tanks -

Valve -

Measurement of valve (sorry for crappy cell phone pics)

Thanks in advance for any help or input. My last option is to drill out the cap that is currently in place and fabricate something of my own - just trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM

can't really tell from the pick, is it grooved for a cam-lock type coupling? If so you can go to a vac-truck supply wholesaler and pick up a reducer. If not you can find the valve you want at a poly tank manufacturer and drill the right size hole in the bottom. You sould be able to get a valve with a flange and rubber gasket on both sides of the tank and they tighten together. Hope that helps a little.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savagelh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the input savagelh. It is not a cam-lock coupling. My research leads me to believe it is called a "buttress" thread. Hopefully I can find some type of screw on coupling that will get me to NPT threads. If I'm able to get to NPT threads I'm gtg. If not, I like your idea of a new valve with the rubber gasket and replacing the whole thing (if it's not cost prohibitive). Right now I'm going to keep searching for the correct coupling
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
This is a great survival

Thanked 1,050 Times in 314 Posts

you could get one of the flexible rubber connectors and clamp it to the valve and the other end to pvc that is the size you need
Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,472 Times in 32,613 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've seen several different fittings on the IBC tanks. I went to a local pipe and irrigation store and they had all the fittings and adapters. It's a standard size, but I couldn't tell you what.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,833 Times in 815 Posts

Sounds to me like you need a male threaded fitting to go on the container itself , then a reducer [which you'll probably have to glue on] and then fittings to get you to the hose end; shouldn't be too many pieces altogether. Another way to do it might be to get a plug and drill the proper size hole in it and use something that you screw to the plug on the inside.

You also need someone who can explain how to use the glue on the fittings if you aren't already familiar with how to, and don't sand/abrade the plastic - it leaves the joint more prone to leaks.

If you can't find a fitting that will do, you might want to see if you can find a plumber who could cut the threads in one.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,450 Posts

try looking around the internet about fitting for the unit ..the way i know to clean them out is use a couple gallons of beach in the water and let set them rinse them out ..
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,450 Posts

try this place called us plastic company ..the website is ..www.usplastic.com or just google the name if the link does not work
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Default i think i have the one like that

i have been dealing with this guy, and these look like the ones that i have, maybe he can get you what you need?

i found him just on google, try ibc totes, or fittings, i think he should come up.

i don't have time to look up the number right know.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Default oh

thats why i always get all me stuff for anything at the same store!!!! lol sorry had to say it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to veggie girl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM

The last IBC totes I bought had Banjo fittings and I ordered some adapters from jmesales.com. They seem to have about any size and style fitting there is for IBC totes. Maybe try them.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Pipes are sized by their inside diameter. That looks like a standard 3" pipe thread from here.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,662 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany...IBC-Totes.html

Take a look at the bottom of the page.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM

You think there'd be an industry standard on these things, but they seem to vary.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 PM

I'd like one to pump water into from a creek. can't find any near memphis.