Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids

Thanked 1,122 Times in 618 Posts
Default Bunkers for Sale in the Los Angeles Area

Advertise Here

It's tough to imagine the end of the world from Steve Kramer's peaceful hilltop home in San Pedro, with its views of lush palm trees and red-tile roofs above a turquoise sea.

The 55-year-old respiratory therapist does it anyway. Terror attacks, civil unrest, dirty bombs, earthquakes, 2012 Kramer believes he must be ready to face them all. That's why he's plunked down $12,500 to reserve spots for himself and his family in an underground concrete shelter near Barstow.

The 56-year-old salesman agreed to take a reporter to the site on the condition that the location would not be revealed; if the End Times come, he says, he doesn't want freeloaders clamoring to gain entry.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...258,full.story
The Following User Says Thank You to riorust For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,766 Times in 32,479 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorust View Post
if the End Times come, he says, he doesn't want freeloaders clamoring to gain entry.

They will be anyway. How many people do you know that can actually keep a secret?

The last place I'd want to be during a crisis, is locked up with a bunch of spoilt city types that have no idea how to do anything for themselves.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,451 Times in 1,997 Posts

Anyone that buys into the luxury bunk in the former commo center is going to be one sorry sonofabitch if they ever have to get down there because that dude is going to be in his own safe place and none of that money is ever going to renovate that place as he described in the promotional materials.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
barking at the moon

If he's in lush bueatiful San Pedro (ha ha joke, I live there) he better move to his bunker in Barstow right now, If shtf there is no way he's ever gonna be able to drive to barstow from here. Its two + hours away on five major freeways, not gonna happen , he'll be outa gas before he gets anywhere close, that is if he can even get to the freeway. As there are only 3 main roads out of town and they get blocked up every day at rush hour.

Ed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickdog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts

for 50K it better be earthquake proof
Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
for 50K it better be earthquake proof
earthquake proof- yes!
fool proof- no!
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Left SB 2/28/2010 :)

Agreed that the desert will be unfriendly to any assailant pursuing peaceful people, but joining a community where lethal self-defense gets you kicked out is simply stupid.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
11B3P

Better off using the 12k to start digging your own.

Sucker.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Austin Milbarge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Spunky Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,800 Times in 658 Posts

I totally agree with that. For $12K I can have 3 8x40' shipping containers welded together underground with solar lighting and a sanitary pit. Probably do a lot of stocking it with the money left over, and have 900 sq feet for just my family.

Not much of a choice, really.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Hunter

Does anyone here live in one of the old Minuteman Missile Silos that the Govenment was selling about 2 decades ago? No? Could that be because they are cold, dank and dangerous? How comfortable would you be inside when somebody outside decides to weld your big metal door shut to spite you? Dig your way out through the secret emergency tunnel? In the dark with the air running out? Sounds like lots of fun!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,962 Times in 3,508 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Milbarge View Post
Better off using the 12k to start digging your own.

Sucker.
Definitely agree about that.

I have spent around $14,000 since 1987 building my remote mtn survival retreat which includes the price of the land - 3 and 1/2 acres surrounded by a million plus acre national forest in WY and 3 sheds And a well stocked bunker / storm shelter as seen in several posts here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

I tell about my mtn place with the bunker mainly to show what can be done with little money. Others can build it much faster If they have people to help them and more money than I had though.

My mtn retreat is also an excellent and beautiful camping area to practice, do and Live survival and a good vacation area for anyone who wishes to escape the rat race. And even If nothing bad Ever happens uh-huh, I can just use the bunker like a root cellar / storage area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,463 Times in 1,743 Posts

The first earthquake and they're all toast with someone laughing all the way to the bank. Can you imagine what it would be like to live with a bunch of people you don't know? You don't even know how they behave on a good day, let alone in a disaster. I'd also like to know how long they think it'd take to get to Barstow from their present location? What a waste of resources, sheesh.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

if the shtf I want to be:
1- with people I know
2- have my bug out in a place I can get too
3- be able to take care of myself afterwards.

Do these people not think about what happens when they open the door after a year? How will they survive then? Do they have any garden seeds? What's the medical set up? Can they go visit their "bunker" ahead of time?

I guess it's better than nothing and offers less sheeply-sheeple a sort of peace of mind, but still....
Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Bowties are cool...

Thanked 3,489 Times in 382 Posts

Not harping but wondering if this is going to come up every couple of months or so...

It was one of the first posts I remember reading and weighing in on when I first joined back in March but it was more like $50k/person.

The one and only good thing I can see coming out of this is more people taking precautions on their own because it's getting out there via the MSM. Frankly, if even one person reads the article and takes a look at their life, the current politics, etc, etc, etc and decides to become a prepper or a survivalist or both (that was a friendly nose thumb at another thread ) then we had a journalist who may have done his/her job, however accidentally it might have gotten accomplished.

--DL
Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Hiker

I agree with just digging your own bunker for $12k. "Fallout-shelter culture "creates a society of fear, a society obsessed with its own survival," he said. "I don't think that's any way to live a life" says Kenneth Rose, author of "One Nation Underground: The Fallout Shelter in American Culture." I hate these type of people. They just see one side, how is a society obsessed with its own survival a bad thing? I understand that people may become a little cold hearted but i feel it would bring people together, the thing is who is coming together. Its its neighbors and friends then okay, but if its gangs and criminals then thats a problem, however this would be reflective of the society beforehand. And a society will only live in fear if they allow themselves to, i understand that some people have no choice (dictators, martial law, Police state) but damn it this is the USA, fear can turn itself into vigilance and preparedness, allowing people to once again come together and focus on improving communities, government, and to focus on real problems, not problems that come about via technicalities and b*llsh*t caused by people that cant think rationally/think all situations are the same or that find anothers way of life not up to standard with theirs.

Wow, had to let that out. But the point is, people need to view things from all sides of the table, and when people like this are portraid as experts when they cant step back as look at the situation, it leads to mass ignorance, even by those wishing to learn and better themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to th3boy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
If he's in lush bueatiful San Pedro (ha ha joke, I live there) he better move to his bunker in Barstow right now, If shtf there is no way he's ever gonna be able to drive to barstow from here. Its two + hours away on five major freeways, not gonna happen , he'll be outa gas before he gets anywhere close, that is if he can even get to the freeway. As there are only 3 main roads out of town and they get blocked up every day at rush hour.

Ed
Yeah, I've been looking into this Vivo's crap for the last month.Just out of principle I'de love to see this guy go down in flames. In every article about Vivos luxury shelters they have always mentioned this Steve Kramer guy. I looked into him and got his number and address off of MSN white pages. I was half tempted to give him a call but getting his name and number seemed a little too easy . I f you feel like checking into him or talking to the dude shoot me a PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

Buying into someone else's spot is the surest way of saying "But I have a ticket", while they lock you out and eat your food.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorust View Post
It's tough to imagine the end of the world from Steve Kramer's peaceful hilltop home in San Pedro, with its views of lush palm trees and red-tile roofs above a turquoise sea.

The 55-year-old respiratory therapist does it anyway. Terror attacks, civil unrest, dirty bombs, earthquakes, 2012 Kramer believes he must be ready to face them all. That's why he's plunked down $12,500 to reserve spots for himself and his family in an underground concrete shelter near Barstow.

The 56-year-old salesman agreed to take a reporter to the site on the condition that the location would not be revealed; if the End Times come, he says, he doesn't want freeloaders clamoring to gain entry.

The location isnt secret. I punked his arse out at the beginning of the month. I spent some time with google Earth and looked for roads that had High power electric lines crossing, then matched up the hills in the video . PSHTF you shud be able to find some luxury cars parked outside ripe for the picking and draining, just sniff around for the smell of rotting copses coming out of a ventilation shaft.