Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
On Twitter @liamkfisher

Default Shipping Container Bunker

Advertise Here

Found this drawing in FM 5-103. The idea is to use a shipping container as a shelter, half-buried, put placed in the hole upside down.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LiamFisher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up

I am looking at buying three 40foot containers and making a BOL.

The Following User Says Thank You to major9985 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,193 Times in 4,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
Found this drawing in FM 5-103. The idea is to use a shipping container as a shelter, half-buried, put placed in the hole upside down.
This has been written about here at SB extensively in the last year +.

Members who have experience with this say the problems with a shipping container bunker are:

Water leaks ... needs massive waterproofing.

Roof of container is not engineered for heavy soil loads above. Needs massive reinforcing.

From what I've read of member's personal experiences, you are better off building a poured concrete underground shelter, buying one ready-made including large pre-cast concrete culverts and drain pipes, or buying a ready-made waterproofed steel shelter.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
On Twitter @liamkfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelguy View Post
This has been written about here at SB extensively in the last year +.
A couple of points:
1. The containers are waterproof -- they ride on an open ocean deck for years. If you punch holes in them, or buy one with holes in it, that's a different matter. Most underground steel shelters use an epoxy coating, which you buy at Sherman Williams for about $100. It lasts for 30+ years and should be tarbrushed on. It's the same coating used on all steel in locks and dams, platforms, etc. So if I built one of these, I'd epoxy it first.
2. The bunker listed in the Army FM is turned upside down, meaning the load bearing "floor" is used for the roof of the bunker. That's not something I've read about before here, and I suspect it's why these other container experiments have failed.
3. I have also seen FEMA books mentioning half-burying shipping containers for bunkers, so there is a way to do it.

This is simply the first place where I have seen this specifically mentioned. Considering you could get one of these small containers for cheap (perhaps even free) and epoxy and bury it for little or nothing, it seemed worth posting here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LiamFisher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,414 Times in 617 Posts

See Temu's thread he burried one.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,518 Times in 6,090 Posts

someone had some great pics of one they had similar to your drawing. Should try to find it - was very nice.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Doc

If its not concrete, iron and rebar then I wouldnt trust it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,398 Times in 32,604 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've always wondered, instead of shipping containers, why not use 18 wheeler box trailers? I see them for sale used, dirt cheap, in rolling condition, all over the place. I doubt they'd take being burried without some reinforcement. But I see bonuses too, like they're aluminum and stainless steel, so rust isn't a worry. They are larger than shipping containers. And they have their own wheels, allowing them to be put in place without a crane. You could back them into a dug out area, put them up on blocks if needed, and remove the wheels.

I know there's got to be a downside that I have overlooked. Anyone have any ideas what it would be?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Spunky Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,809 Times in 659 Posts

Trailers are not designed to be stacked, they don't have nearly the structural strength, I don't think you could bury them without completely re-engineering the walls and roof. If you want strength you can drive into the hole and bury, buy a school bus.

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/...t/photocon.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot907 View Post
If its not concrete, iron and rebar then I wouldnt trust it.
Not only do I trust it, I don't see how I could ever be without it now!
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=63219

Easy to do, and has surpassed my expectations.

Arisinwind and Mtmn. Mike are pioneers in this field as well. Check out their threads.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,987 Times in 3,509 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

The bunker thread alert system activated and so I Must post.
Any thread with the word bunker, even storm or fallout shelter should have this "Everything about a bunker" thread in it. Kidding, sorta.

I would have had a shipping container IF I could have gotten one up on my remote mtn place and steep mtnside, easily and without costing so awful much.

I did what I think is even better, although it took me off and on for ten years, even more since 1995 to build my bunker, where I show in detail how I did it in several posts > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

Others also tell and show some about their shelters, even a good root cellar in the link above.

I will Never understand why those who would call themselves survivalists do not have a bunker or at Least a good storm / fallout shelter. Especially if they own land or have a backyard.
Or at Least these plans to build one quickly and cheaply, if / when necessary > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

My wish is for Everyone who wants to and has the wisdom to build a good storm / fallout shelter, is that they will build it soon, before they wish that they had one and their last thought would be "If we only had an underground shelter instead of dying now, from this tornado, attack etc... "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,898 Times in 17,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
The bunker thread alert system activated and so I Must post.
Any thread with the word bunker, even storm or fallout shelter should have this "Everything about a bunker" thread in it. Kidding, sorta.

I would have had a shipping container IF I could have gotten one up on my remote mtn place and steep mtnside, easily and without costing so awful much.

I did what I think is even better, although it took me off and on for ten years, even more since 1995 to build my bunker, where I show in detail how I did it in several posts > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

Others also tell and show some about their shelters, even a good root cellar in the link above.

I will Never understand why those who would call themselves survivalists do not have a bunker or at Least a good storm / fallout shelter. Especially if they own land or have a backyard.
Or at Least these plans to build one quickly and cheaply, if / when necessary > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

My wish is that for Everyone who wants to and has the wisdom to build a good storm / fallout shelter, is that they will build it soon, before they wish that they had one and their last thought would be "If we only had an underground shelter instead of dying now, from this tornado, attack etc... "
LOL...the bunker alert system seems to be working just fine Mike!!!

I wish I had one, I would like a secret door in my basement that would leading down 40 steps into one. I have the prefect design for a multi-level bunker with blast doors. This is a huge wish that won't ever happen but you can't blame me for dreaming

You got the right idea Mike, the cool thing is you get the beauitful scenery to boot!

June 1st will be here before you know it...I sure hope you can make some trips to the library and let us know how you doing after you get home!
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,987 Times in 3,509 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
LOL...the bunker alert system seems to be working just fine Mike!!!

I wish I had one, I would like a secret door in my basement that would leading down 40 steps into one. I have the prefect design for a multi-level bunker with blast doors. This is a huge wish that won't ever happen but you can't blame me for dreaming

You got the right idea Mike, the cool thing is you get the beauitful scenery to boot!

June 1st will be here before you know it...I sure hope you can make some trips to the library and let us know how you doing after you get home!
June 1st is coming fast and May is also going fast after a Very looong winter. Most of the people up there that have cabins drive at least 200 miles, some even much further. One guy drives his family of 7 in a van with a large German Shepherd in a large van from Anaheim, CA to southern Wyoming about a mile from my place.
Which shows how good my mtn area is if people would drive so far. They stay at least 3 weeks anyway.

And I Hope to get up there, shortly after June 1st but the main problem is that it is Still snowing up there! 2 more feet of snow last week.
But it is supposed to be 80 here in Greeley starting next weekend which means it should be 60 up there. And then the snow pack should start melting fast.

It was June 19th last year before I got up there and stayed until Nov.

I will post from the small town library which is around 12 miles downhill. Probably post in one of my pic threads like I did last summer and give updates on anything interesting going on, which I think happens everyday up there.
Some, possibly many city people etc. might think it boring but I think the Wild is fascinating and like another world. The opposite of cities in about every way.

Also I don't post in Every bunker or underground shelter thread. There are too many lately and don't want anyone to think that I am fanatical about bunkers...

But glad to hear that you at Least have a good basement Ohioman.
So in case of a tornado you and your family should survive. I think under the stairs is the safest place in the basement.
I had a house about 25 years ago that had a door and a good storage area under the basement stairs.

A bunker and underground fallout shelter is more advanced than a simple basement storm shelter which is why I keep posting the link to this book, which I used to "cheaply" build my bunker = shelter > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

And to get back on the topic of shipping containers is people should look at temu's pic thread, If they insist on using a shipping container. I think temu is the Only one, at least whom I have heard about on this SB, who has actually used one to build his underground shelter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,398 Times in 32,604 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusis View Post
Trailers are not designed to be stacked, they don't have nearly the structural strength, I don't think you could bury them without completely re-engineering the walls and roof. If you want strength you can drive into the hole and bury, buy a school bus.

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/...t/photocon.htm
I've seen school buses used but they seem like more trouble than they're worth with the windows and all that. I knew people were shoring up the interiors of the containers, so I figured why not do the same with a trailer and roll it in place.