Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Default how to build roof on hillside bunker????

Advertise Here

how are you guys/girls building the roofs on your hillside bunkers, to hold the weight of the dirt that you put on top to conceal bunker..........im building my bunker into a hillside, and once i constructed it im wanting to recover all materials used with dirt to blend in....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hossxxx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

24 in of rebar reinforced concreat is my plan im saving up to build a barn and were thinking about possibly burrying two shipping containers with the main hatch inside the barn
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossxxx View Post
how are you guys/girls building the roofs on your hillside bunkers, to hold the weight of the dirt that you put on top to conceal bunker..........im building my bunker into a hillside, and once i constructed it im wanting to recover all materials used with dirt to blend in....
Here's how I did mine.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=63219

Check out arisinwind as well as Mtn Mike as well.

Dirt...especially wet dirt, is freakin' heavy!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,719 Times in 3,476 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Good question for I guess it is difficult to find the info on this vast survivalistboards.

I also would like to know If any girls have built a bunker. I think I heard of one once upon a time.

But here is a long thread with Many pics that tells about everything one would want to know about bunkers, underground shelters, root cellars etc. I show pics exactly how I did this and I might even show and tell much more so people won't have to keep messaging me for info. >> http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

Although I go back up to my mtn paradise and work on the bunker as well as a hundred other things by mid June until Nov or later.

And since possibly many will not look at my pic thread above or even the 4 other pic threads here are the details just about the roof >

These plans below are one of the "secrets" for they have been nuke tested and survived at 53 pounds per sq. inch of blast overpressure, only one pole got cracked. And the nuke blast would flatten above ground structures.

I also used 3 layers of logs for my roof which I believe even a tank could drive over it and the roof would easily survive. The roof to my bunker has survived 12 winters with up to 12 feet of snow pack.

I also used 5 sheets of plywood on the roof as well as chicken wire and rebar in the concrete.

I used the small pole shelter plans from this book: http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

Roof of the bunker showing layers. This roof is made of 3 layers of logs, cardboard on top, layer of sawdust, sheets of plastic, layer of newspapers to protect the plastic then layer of dirt, then heavy tarp, more newspapers, much more dirt and rocks, soil on top and I have 4 kinds of grasses, raspberry bushes etc. growing on top >

Showing finished roof with grass on top with a dead tree also for more camo, stovepipe, plywood covered window etc. >

Close-up of concrete roof and stovepipe >

Back trap door showing 3 foot thick rock and concrete roof. Took 250 eighty pound bags of concrete mix to make the concrete roof. >

Showing the 3 layer log roof >

The ceiling of the main room of the bunker with ladder and bunk bed on the right >

IF anyone ever builds something similar to what I have built please message or even email me, for I would like to hear about it. Even just doing a roof such as I have for I believe it is the strongest roof for the least amount of money that can Ever be built!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
LOST!!!!

Mountainman Mike

Question for you; Have you ever lived in your mountain retreat during the winter when it is covered with snow?
The Following User Says Thank You to dustyrock For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

the problem with a hillside shelters is the drainage around the bottom and the sides of the shelter and that where the major issuse of waterproof coatings comes into play along with the french drain around the shelter .

but the french drain around the base the shelter in a U shaped unit along with the trench should be at least 12 to 18.inchs wide-x-18.inchs deep trench lined with diff size pea gravel base for about 3.inchs deep then covered the rest of the was in 1/4.sized pea gravel rocks up to the lip of the trench around the base for really wet weather that you you might have in the area..

the trench in the back of the shelter faceing the hill should have the widest part of the trench -x-18.inchs wide for that where a major protion of the water is going to be comeing into the ground from the top soil in that area..

coating are another thing ..use two diff coating to insure that you are double up on your chances to stop a leaks before it happens ..
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM

that was my plan,couple layers of logs,plastic/tarp,more logs,dirt,plant shrubs....this is gonna be more of a shelter in the hillside....guess is Shoudln't have used the term BUNKER!!!! I am going to use my backhoe to dig out a spot in the hillside,and i am going to build the shelter into the hillside, and recover with dirt,shrubs,ect...once im done only visable part should be the door,then even then i am going to plant shrubs to camo. the entrance....
The Following User Says Thank You to hossxxx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,719 Times in 3,476 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrock View Post
Mountainman Mike

Question for you; Have you ever lived in your mountain retreat during the winter when it is covered with snow?
I just answered your question only not in this thread, so as not to hijack it or be off topic.

My mega pic bunker thread is the best thread to ask anything about my bunker although I also have 4 more about my retreat with many pics as well as my homepage which shows and tells much.

Here is the link to the answer to your question > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ost1576373=#94
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Default warning the bakers in the ground close to see level

Initial analysis of sea-floor cores near Scott Base suggest the Ross Ice Shelf had collapsed in the past and had probably done so suddenly. by the way rose ice shelf around three km high

The team's co-chief scientist, Tim Naish, told The Press newspaper the sediment record was important because it provided crucial evidence about how the Ross Ice Shelf would react to climate change, with potential to dramatically increase sea levels.

"If the past is any indication of the future, then the ice shelf will collapse,"
mean time rose ice shelf's back caps getting weaken with global warming there many holes in connection part of the massive ice shelf melting rapidly
I think we should build unsinkable shelter
best
qf
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I Dig My Gold

Thanked 4,474 Times in 1,866 Posts

Since you have a backhoe you can move around heavy stuff easily. Go to your local state and county roads dept yards and see if they have any old large culvert sections they pulled out. If you are nice and bring them a few pounds of coffee and a box of donuts even if they currently don't have any you may be remembered when they pull some. Another item I always ask for is the ground up pavement they haul off when replacing road sections. It good for patching potholes or spreading on dirt roads. A few years ago I scored a nice pile of 10 & 12' dia pieces. I cut them to size and bolted them in place for a roof over my ground sheltered fuel tanks. I used the leftovers for water tanks.

When you see the contractors or road dept crews replacing the wood guardrail posts stop & ask about the posts. They are good for many uses and most times free or very cheap.

Bunker builders may find these materials useful.

Red

Quote:
that was my plan,couple layers of logs,plastic/tarp,more logs,dirt,plant shrubs....this is gonna be more of a shelter in the hillside....guess is Shoudln't have used the term BUNKER!!!! I am going to use my backhoe to dig out a spot in the hillside,and i am going to build the shelter into the hillside, and recover with dirt,shrubs,ect...once im done only visable part should be the door,then even then i am going to plant shrubs to camo. the entrance....