Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Default Can you safely burn denatured alcohol inside?

Advertise Here

Can't really find the info I'm looking for. I'm considering a small stove that burns denatured alcohol to use in emergencies. Just wondering if it's safe to use in a closed up house or if there will be toxic gases associated with burning denatured alcohol. Figure if I can use it in a closed up home that would help reduce cooking smells if I don't want to advertise them.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Hiker

Well not sure but my Granny used to burn rubbing alcohol in a small ceramic bowl in the kitchen to singe the tiny pin feathers off chickens after we killed them. Nobody died there after 50+ years of her doing this.
JMO
Hossmiester
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hossmiester For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,272 Times in 32,089 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Alcohol stoves are designed to be used in the tight quarters of sailboats and ships. Radius Defense designs the kitchens of their underground shelters around an alcohol stove. I'd assume that they're probably the safest choice for indoor use.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,548 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I believe the type of alcohol used, I have used various types of rubbing alcohol indoors and yes some smelled but im not to messed up from it. Denatured is pretty darn clean , I would have no worry at all myself.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Prepared

I've used denatured alcohol many many times inside a closed up house. No problems. It does have it's own distinctive odor, but it's not overpowering, IMO.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I've got a bad feeling...

Generally speaking, if there is adequate ventilation burning alcohols produce only water vapor and carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide (unsafe) is only produced if there is not enough oxygen-supply for complete combustion.
The Following User Says Thank You to trolling4dollars For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I use SLX denatured alcohol and will use it inside if I need to.
I have a couple of small Ultralight stoves that I regularly use. I don't use HEET in my stoves so I don't know about that.
Tom
Old 05-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Hunter

well cant realy speak for denatured alcohol since i dont know the components (chemicaly)
but i know that "fondue" pots are burning alcool usualy ( if i remember its the same stuff as yellow bottle heet methyl alcool )
regardless i would use caution when used inside ( ventilate properly ) most portable stoves are not designed to be used inside .
Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Prepared

The denatured alcohol has a warning label regarding ventalation, always play on the safe side get a carbon monoxide monitor with battery back up, could save your life and your familiys life.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,123 Posts

Ok............ get some alcohol, get a CO detector and a smoke detector, light it up and see if you get any off gassing............. try it for yourself
Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Animis Opibusque Parati

Couple years back, I read an article in field and stream about a homemade survival stove to keep in your car if you get trapped in a blizzard. The stove was a metal coffee can with a roll of TP (without the cardboard tube) jammed in. You poured rubbing alcohol over the TP and lit it. They recommended cracking open the car windows.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 AM
The Original Darkside

Thanked 13,000 Times in 5,814 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I've always found it pretty safe for indoor use, but if you spill it while its burning... you've got a real problem on your hands.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a decent fire extinguisher nearby.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Prepared

Something that may be worth mentioning is that it evaporates VERY quickly.

As with any other stove, when using an alcohol stove it's a good idea to use it on a fireproof surface. If some were to spill and ignite, then there are no worries. It will burn off very quickly.

If you're worried about it, set the stove inside a pie plate or frying pan, or even on top of some aluminum foil with the edges flipped up a tad.

In general, alcohol stoves hold very little fuel to begin with, and are easily smothered out.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Like MacGyver, but w/guns

Well when in doubt, keep a window open. I'm sure you can find a way to ventilate the CO2 or CO properly without letting out the sweet sweet smell of bacon. mmmmm...bacon
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,372 Posts

Alcohol is very safe for indoor use in my experience. It cleans up easily and evaporates quickly if spilled, and does not produce harmful fumes or vapors other than carbon monoxide which any burning fuel produces, easily countered by leaving a window or door open a bit.
there are many alcohol fuel stoves, I really like my Trangia Swede mil surp stoves. Look on eBay for some that are available. You can also maky your own. Check out these sites for starters on plans:
www.stovetec.net
http://wings.interfree.it/
http://zenstoves.net
www.trangia.se
Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,215 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
Couple years back, I read an article in field and stream about a homemade survival stove to keep in your car if you get trapped in a blizzard. The stove was a metal coffee can with a roll of TP (without the cardboard tube) jammed in. You poured rubbing alcohol over the TP and lit it. They recommended cracking open the car windows.

This is actually a pretty great device. Taking it further (like so many of us do here ) I've discovered you can get unused paint type cans, put the TP inside, pour the rubbing alcohol in, and then seal with the paint can lid.

This will keep for years, and it will last for hours as it burns.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Left SB 2/28/2010 :)

Burning anything generates pollution, some of which is poisonous or otherwise noxious. This includes alcohol of ANY kind. Yes, it evaporates when you spill it, but BURNING it creates fumes that will kill you.

Never burn ANY kind of fuel indoors, liquid, solid or gas.

My alcohol stoves run on 90% denatured alcohol, and they go in the fireplace when in use.