Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Prepared

Default 100 lbs of rice.

Advertise Here

Just started my long term food supply this weekend. I bought 100lbs of rice at winco. On sale for 7 bucks for 20 lb bags....So for under forty bucks I got 100 lbs. Ive been collecting pickle buckets from burger king, and as soon as my oxygen absorbers get here they are getting put away. You guys think I need to do mylar bags in the buckets, or rice and absorbers right into them? After that Im going for some beans.... Any other ideas?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,025 Times in 3,311 Posts

I would use mylar.
The pickles left a scent in the buckets that you won't be able to wash out.
The bags should be enough to keep you from getting pickle flavored rice.
Toss some O2 absorbers in with the rice and seal the mylar with a clothes iron.
Make sure when you go o seal the bags they don't have and wrinkles in them or the air will leak in.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Target Shooter

Where do you order O2 absorbers or the lids for your 5 gallon buckets? I can get the buckets but not sure where to get lids.

Bobo
Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,025 Times in 3,311 Posts

Hit the google for both.
Gamma seals(if that's what you meant) are to be had at large numbers of places for around $7.
The O2 absorbers come in packets from various places.
You may find some local to you.
I bought some lids at emergency essentials once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Buck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Beans and rice, the food of true heros. Thanks for the storage recommendation
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Local BAMF

Go to the bakery and get buckets from there instead of Burger King. The bakery buckets usually contain things that aren't so heavily scented.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Where do you order O2 absorbers or the lids for your 5 gallon buckets? I can get the buckets but not sure where to get lids.

Bobo
Honeyville grains has the O2 absorbers, as well as lots of other good deals. Check out their product section. Shipping is only $4.49 on any order, anywhere in the lower 48 states.

http://honeyvillegrain.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Txkstew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 AM

When storing wheat with mylar bags, is it enough to just use oxygen absorbers? or do I need to put something else in there (bay leaves, dry ice) etc....
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Old Toot

Josiah922 has several very good Utube movies showing how to store food using mylar bags and 02 absorbers. I'm sure a quick search of Utube will turn them up. I know there's a link here in one of the threads but I don't remember which one.
I just picked up some 5 gallon pickle buckets for additional food storage and this thread is very timely.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
28 Days Later

Thanked 1,126 Times in 588 Posts

dont buy buckets, most grocery stores, baking stores, etc give them away for free, I can get more buckets then I can fill my car with, all are quality food grade buckets that come with lids and i dont pay a single dime for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Question For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,185 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Go to the bakery and get buckets from there instead of Burger King. The bakery buckets usually contain things that aren't so heavily scented.
I just picked up 6 3 1/2 gal. buckets in the bakery section in the grocery store that had frosting in them. They have a light vanilla scent to them, but thats better than pickle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riverrat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozycountrygal View Post
When storing wheat with mylar bags, is it enough to just use oxygen absorbers? or do I need to put something else in there (bay leaves, dry ice) etc....

Try these:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prettypaisley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Prepared

www.alisonspantry.com has the gama lids and a lot of useful stuff.

I go to the Mormon pantry. You do not have to be Mormon to use it. Usually you can find someone that handles the alison's pantry stuff within the LDS church. And I have yet to be preached at!

I picked up 50lbs of rice yesterday for $17. I picked up 25 lbs of sugar and 20 lbs of Mac Noodles, when I was getting my rice from Sam's Club. I have 50 lbs of cracked wheat on order. and another 6 buckets and Gama lids.

Last month TDW(The Dear Wife) and I went to the pantry and got 25 lbs of Rolled Oats and 25 lbs of instant potato's. We put it in #10 cans, when we were there. We spent under $50 and have food stored for the next 10 to 20 years. Not that it will last that long around here.

I do not see the stores running out of food any time soon. What I do see is the cost rising to where I am saving money in the long run, on my food bill. Rice has risen 100% in cost sense last November. 25lbs of sugar has almost doubled in the same amount of time.

Hint: Wally world has 1 lbs Pepperoni sticks for sale for under $6. Great for adding spice to your foods and lasts a long time without being refrigerated.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dilligaf2u2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Question View Post
dont buy buckets, most grocery stores, baking stores, etc give them away for free, I can get more buckets then I can fill my car with, all are quality food grade buckets that come with lids and i dont pay a single dime for them.
Bakeries AND Donut shops are another good source for buckets
pickle flavored rice? Why not- I've tossed just about everythin edible in my rice
talon-out
The Following User Says Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 AM
A friend of the Site

I agree with Talon, i would rather have it in buckets, reguardless of the scent.

Need to be putting food up guy's and gal's. Rice and beans are cheap, throw in some fruit and pickles and spices.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Prepared

I will be using my pickle buckets, but I have some 5 gallon mylar bags on order from online. They will be here soon. I only got 10 for now because they were kinda expensive. But I think If I have 10 five gallon buckets of food stored up for the future I will be happy(for now).... I also bought my oxygen absorbers, they are here already. Im working on what else to put up in my buckets. Proababy some beans, and maybe pasta???? Dont know what else yet. Does pasta store for a long time in sealed mylar bags with absorbers??? I would like to see at least a 10 year shelf life out of all my stuff. Then in 10 years if I havent used it I can rethink my plan, and have more money then(hopefully) to do something different. I think my wife thinks Im crazy. But then I tell her, "have you seen the price of diesel today???" $4.35 a gallon, and its not getting any cheaper. Our economy is tanking big time.... I would rather be sitting in my house with a bowl of rice to eat than nothing
The Following User Says Thank You to splat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Old Toot

Splat
Where did you order from? I just ordered from Frugalsquirrel and was notified by Wendy Mae that the mylar bags were a 2 week backorder.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncar View Post
Splat
Where did you order from? I just ordered from Frugalsquirrel and was notified by Wendy Mae that the mylar bags were a 2 week backorder.

http://beprepared.com/

2.50 per bag plus shipping.....Kinda expensive, but you dont have to order 100 at a time like some sites.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncar View Post
Splat

NOW i remember why I didnt order from Frugal Squirrels....I was up late at night and had the order form all filled out and then saw that their site wasnt encripted...(you know the little paddlelock at the bottom of the browser)....So I didnt buy them... Maybe its no big deal, but MOST sites online that you give your credit card number to are encripted...It is cheaper than the site I ordered from...
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Old Toot

Thanks, I think as I've already ordered and didn't notice that it wasn't secure. Hopefully this will serve as a eye-opener.