Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM
armchair commando

Thanked 1,267 Times in 460 Posts
Default Cayenne pepper to stop bleeding??

Advertise Here

I didn't know about this until I sliced my finger open with a razor blade when laying some flooring and my neighbor who is a nurse offered this...I didn't have the guts to do it as I HATE really hot peppers.
After reading about it online I thought I would ask anyone here if they have tried this? In fact, here is some reading I found about the pepper...
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...per.html?cat=5
Claims from another read stated it helped much better than aspirin during a heart attack {claims of stopping them} to fixing stomach issues {lining of the stomach} which I don't understand since it messes mine up

Last edited by hightech_redneck; 05-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hightech_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,082 Times in 943 Posts

I remember as a kid having black pepper sprinkled on a nasty scrape to help it scab over.
I guess I survived it.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Trapper

The Chinese used peppercorns to fight off infection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todesking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 24,612 Times in 12,782 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I bet it burns like a M/F
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,882 Posts

My mom swears it works but I donīt know.... Think Iīd rather bleed out than sticking an open wound in to a bowl of cayenne pepper...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Cayenne has been used as a remedy for a number of ailments for many years. I came across this journal entry a while ago from Priddy Meeks who was a Frontier doctor in the Utah Territory around the 1870's and used cayenne to cure frostbite:

Quote:
An incident took place in Parowan, Iron County, the same winter that Colonel Johnston came against Salt Lake City with the United States Army. There was a teamster by the name of James McCann, a young man, started to go back to the states by way of California. He reached Parowan with both feet frozen above his ankles. He was left with me to have both feet amputated as it was thought there was no possible chance to save his life without amputation. I was at my wits end to know what to do. I saw no possible chance for amputation. An impulse seemed to strike my mind as tho by inspiration that I would give him cayenne pepper inwardly and see what effect that would have on the frozen feet.

I commenced by giving him rather small doses at first, about three times a day. It increased the warmth and power of action in the blood to such a degree that it gave him such pain and misery in his legs that he could not bear it. He lay down on his back and elevated his feet up against the wall for three or four days and then he could sit up in a chair. The frozen flesh would rot and rope down from his foot when it would be on his knee, clear down to the floor, just like a buck-wheat batter, and the new flesh would form as fast as the dead flesh would get out of the way. In fact the new flesh would seem to crowd the dead flesh out of the way to make room for the new flesh.

That was all the medical treatment he had and to my astonishment and to every one else that knew of the circumstances, the sixteenth day after I gave him the first dose of pepper he walked nine miles, or from Parowan to Red Creek and back, and said that he could have walked as far again. He lost but five toe nails all told. Now the healing power of nature is in the blood and to accelerate the healing power of nature and I am convinced that there is nothing will do this like cayenne pepper; you will find it applicable in all cases of sickness.

Last edited by Tim Neumann; 05-03-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typos
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim Neumann For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Default I dunno...

That pepper is a dialator... It opens veins... So probably has many medicinal uses.. Like blood presure regulation but I don't know if I'd put it a wound to stop bleeding... Mainly because it has to sting, and secondly because I think it would likely givin the vein dialation properties make bleeding worse... I've heard black powder is good to stop bleeding and for penitrating wounds that are so hard to apply good pressure to there's tampax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spooktacular For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 AM
great survivalist *****

Chuck Norris dosen't use band aids, he uses hot peppers

i think someone is trying to play a joke on you
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,691 Times in 2,278 Posts

I cut myself rather deeply while trying to make something out of an empty tin can. I put pressure on the cut to initially stop the bleeding then spread the cut open and shook black pepper into the wound from a table shaker. I had hear it stops bleeding and was antiseptic in nature and would promote rapid healing. I imagined it would burn but it didn't. However, it did hurt because the grains of pepper were as grains of sand. I sprinkled pepper into a spoon then ground it to a fine dust with another spoon. I poured this pepper dust into the wound, and it didn't sting, surprisingly. I don't know that it healed any faster, but it never got infected. It did scab over quickly though. I see no reason why cayenne shouldn't work. TP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
armchair commando

Here is the info from E-how....
***In addition to stopping the bleeding from exterior wounds, cayenne also works for internal hemorrhages inside the nose, stomach and throat. In these cases, of course, the cayenne must be taken orally. Cayenne also works to improve blood circulation, assist digestion, stimulate perspiration and saliva, and lessen pain from swollen or arthritic joints and limbs. ****
I would think that it would burn like heck too..I was too scared to try it
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,335 Times in 28,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech_redneck View Post
Here is the info from E-how....
***In addition to stopping the bleeding from exterior wounds, cayenne also works for internal hemorrhages inside the nose, stomach and throat. In these cases, of course, the cayenne must be taken orally. Cayenne also works to improve blood circulation, assist digestion, stimulate perspiration and saliva, and lessen pain from swollen or arthritic joints and limbs. ****
I would think that it would burn like heck too..I was too scared to try it
Ain't no way I'm putting cayenne up my nose. I got sprayed with pepper spray as part of a course. Lesson learned!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
hiker

I heard of it recently and tried it when I gashed the top of my thumb. Not bad enough for stitches but enough to start dripping on the carpet.

I put some on the cut (about 3/8" long) and it soaked up enough blood to stop it from dripping and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly.

It didn't really burn but then again, it already hurt from gashing it open.

I also got a copy of a report that claimed you can stop a heart attack by drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of cayenne mixed into it. *This is not to be construed as medical advice.*
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Hunter

We use Alum on birds and dogs when we quick them. Works good. Alum is a baking spice it's white. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum
Another item you can use is quick clot. You can buy in in the nail clipper isle at pet smart/pet co. etc. it works instantly.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Hiker

I have heard of it. But I thought you were supposed to mix it in water and drink it down, Not dip your finger in the pepper.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Hiker

My Father years ago came into my home with a Huge deep Gash on a finger. He ran to my sink and ran cold water over it. It was bleeding badly. I got the Cayenne pepper out and poured half a jar on it.after a few seconds the blood stopped. I asked him if it burned and he said no....Yep....It works!
The Following User Says Thank You to JUSTSURVIVEBABY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
armchair commando

Maybe the burn in only related to your tongue?? I do recall the burning I got from trying to make my own pepper sauce..lol.. boiling peppers I grew with the vinegar and not opening some windows...I was cussed by the wife all night for that one...felt like someone blew a pepper bomb off in the house
I don't get how the pepper can help with stomach issues when it causes the issues??? I have acid reflux and LOVE all the stuff that hates me to eat..lol