Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM

Default Dehydrated foods in Canning Jars

Advertise Here

I normally use mylar for storing my dehydrated foods ( veggie's and fruit ) but now I have started to use Mason Jars for smaller amount's. My question is can I just heat the lids and screw down the rings for an airtight seal? I will be using a 500cc 02 absorber in the jars.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,833 Times in 815 Posts
Default Re: Dehydrated foods in Canning Jars

If you have a vacuum sealer with a lid attachment you can vac-pack things in canning jars, but IMHO you still need an O2 absorber to offset the fact you can't get all the air from between the food bits out. Doesn't matter with things like salt and sugar because they get more or less solid, but anything bigger [beans, etc.] will still have spaces between the pieces.

Heating lids and screwing down the rings won't do. The lids aren't adhesive or heat-activated; vacuum packing will, however, hold the lids on quite firmly. BTW, you shouldn't have to screw the lids down after using a vac-packer; the lids are there basically to keep the lids aligned with the jars during the process and protect the jar lip from dings and while I left mine on because it was convenient, you really don't need to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

you can heat the lids to soften the rubber, but they have to be bone dry when you put them on. Then you seal them either with a vacuum sealer or by adding oxygen absorbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,833 Times in 815 Posts

HerbalPagan, I sealed some rice and sugar in canning jars, and didn't have to heat them; just put the vac-packer lid on and let 'er rip. Stuff has kept vacuum for about a year without the lid falling off [which would be a sure sign the vacuum's gone], so I don't know that it's necessary to heat the lids first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Prepared

I have a little hand pump that came with my jar sealers. It's nice for things you use often so you don't have to get the vacuum sealer out. It's also nice to have in case there's no power! I always put rings on the jars to make sure the seal holds and have resealed them over and over with no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Free Mason

I was at the LDS cannery putting up sugar. They said not to use O2 absorbers because it makes the sugar hard. I have sugar in mason jars without the O2 absorber and it is granular. I did use a vacuum sealer. I do not heat my lids.
The Following User Says Thank You to homesteader1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 06:43 PM

It's definitely ok to store in jars. Make sure you always include an oxygen absorber, and in addition, vacuum sealing with a jar attachment is a great idea for long term. If you are using your dehydrated foods on a daily (or semi-daily) basis, be sure to use kitchen gloves. If you are reaching in the jar with your hands or fingers, the oils from your hands will reintroduce moisture to your dehydrated food. A really good site with lots of how-to videos and information is http://www.dehydrate2store.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shades For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM

thanks everyone
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,286 Times in 9,057 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Desiccant works too.

It draws up all moisture inside a container so there is none left to spoil food.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Prep and be calm

I just found this instructable on making our own vacuum pump for jar sealing. What I like about it is, it has a gauge.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...Vacuum-Sealer/

I found the pump recommended and the two lids at Amazon as a package for $67 including shipping. Cost more than the instructable suggests but perhaps prices have gone up. I could not find the brake bleeder pump any cheaper anywhere else.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Prep and be calm

Got my brake bleeder pump vacuum sealer and used it on all my short term storage of grains and beans. I have a shelf full of half-gallon Ball Canning jars that I've used for years to keep the basic grains I use routinely. But I like that I can have them sealed since I don't always use up that much as quickly as I could. I did not put o2 absorbers in because they are not intended for long term storage.

But I really like this hand pump vacuum sealer out of a brake bleeder pump and like that I can see the gauge and know how much of a vacuum I've got.
The Following User Says Thank You to coached For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Its kind of coincidental as I just finished canning about 7 Mason jars of dried meat. I steralized the jars and lids in boiling water for about 2 minutes. I emptied the jars and turned upside down for about another couple of minutes and then using tongs to hold the jar, I filled them with the dried meat. Next I held the jars in the boiling water with the tongs for another couple of minutes and screwed on the lid. After about an hour I could hear the lids pop in. I knew that I had a good vacuum. I don't know how long the food will keep but I remember my parents canning food this way and it lasted all winter. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Prep and be calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Its kind of coincidental as I just finished canning about 7 Mason jars of dried meat. I steralized the jars and lids in boiling water for about 2 minutes. I emptied the jars and turned upside down for about another couple of minutes and then using tongs to hold the jar, I filled them with the dried meat. Next I held the jars in the boiling water with the tongs for another couple of minutes and screwed on the lid. After about an hour I could hear the lids pop in. I knew that I had a good vacuum. I don't know how long the food will keep but I remember my parents canning food this way and it lasted all winter. Hope this helps.
I don't know what level of a vacuum you would get from doing it that way.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Hunter/Farmer

Thanked 1,695 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached View Post
Got my brake bleeder pump vacuum sealer and used it on all my short term storage of grains and beans. I have a shelf full of half-gallon Ball Canning jars that I've used for years to keep the basic grains I use routinely. But I like that I can have them sealed since I don't always use up that much as quickly as I could. I did not put o2 absorbers in because they are not intended for long term storage.

But I really like this hand pump vacuum sealer out of a brake bleeder pump and like that I can see the gauge and know how much of a vacuum I've got.
I would like to know more of this brake bleeder pump sealer.
Is it homemade or was it purchased?
Pic please?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Prep and be calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Czech View Post
I would like to know more of this brake bleeder pump sealer.
Is it homemade or was it purchased?
Pic please?
I bought one from Amazon and am following this:http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...Vacuum-Sealer/

The Amazon purchase sold the bleeder pump and the special lid recommended. I bought one for both the wide mouth and standard sized canning jars. Seems to work very well.

My main question now is, with a 20 inHg vacuum would I really need O2 absorbers as well? How long do you think dehydrated foods with a 20 inHg vacuum will last? They say that food stored with 02 absorbers is indefinite. I'd think this was virtually the same.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
planner and prepper

So these vac-sealers you are using like the attachments for the FoodSaver or something else?

I am really interested in this option. I maybe making a trip to WallyWorld tonight
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Prep and be calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
So these vac-sealers you are using like the attachments for the FoodSaver or something else?

I am really interested in this option. I maybe making a trip to WallyWorld tonight
Yes the brake bleeder hand pump tip fits into the hole at the top of the FoodSaver lids.

I like this because its non-electric. Its a hand pump arrangement and gives a gauge so you know how much vacuum you've got.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Quote:
I bought one from Amazon and am following this:http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...Vacuum-Sealer/

The Amazon purchase sold the bleeder pump and the special lid recommended. I bought one for both the wide mouth and standard sized canning jars. Seems to work very well.

My main question now is, with a 20 inHg vacuum would I really need O2 absorbers as well? How long do you think dehydrated foods with a 20 inHg vacuum will last? They say that food stored with 02 absorbers is indefinite. I'd think this was virtually the same.

Vacuum sealing only seals the can from anything new coming in. It does not remove the o2 which is what feeds decomposition. You have to put an o2 absorber into the jars to get a long shelf life.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,286 Times in 9,057 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

If the item that you are storing is one that decomposes with exposure to O2 then yes you may still need O2 absorbers, since even 20inHg of vacuum still leaves some O2 in the jar. Items which decompose with exposure to O2 are oils.

If the items that you are storing are items that rot with exposure to moisture then you may need desiccant, not an O2 absorber. Items which rot with exposure to moisture are grains, flour, sugar, powdered milk, powdered eggs,
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Prep and be calm

But how much oxygen is left with a 20inHG vacuum? I assume it removes air to create that degree of vacuum (oxygen and other components).

And the only moisture would be what moisture there is in the dehydrated product. If it is already dry enough for storage why use desiccant? No moisture can get in the vacuum sealed jar.

I read on another site -- about another product that a 20inHG vacuum achieves a 95% oxygen free environment. Probably not enough for really long term storage (30 years) but certainly for a few years up to 10 years I'd think.