Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,551 Times in 840 Posts
Default Milling your own lumber.

Advertise Here

I have my own sawmill and mill my own lumber. While my mill is kind of expensive because of automated features, there are mills available starting at about $3000 that will give you the same end product. If you have land with lots of trees, it is something you should look into. You can end up with lumber to build a house or barn, fence posts, etc. If you do not want to make the investment, there are plenty of sawyers all over the county that can come to your property and mill your trees. You can pay them by the hour, by the board ft or do a split with the wood as payment. It is something to be considered. Also, if anyone in Northern California is interested in milling some of your trees for a split of the lumber, I would be interested.

This is a picture of some pine that I recently cut. Nothing is more satisfying (that might be an overstatement) than taking something that might be used for firewood and turning it into something usable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Milling your own lumber.

I got my own mill also. It's a chainsaw mill. I invested just under $3000 for it including buying the new saw. I ripe timbers with it like crazy. Planning on building rental cabins to collect a little income on the side. What isn't large enough for timber's gets cut into firewood and sold. I usually make enough selling the firewood to pay for the whole load of wood delivered to the yard in tree length. Costing me only my time to rip timber's.

I also built a 10 foot x 30 foot wood shed and storage area with the wood I had milled. And ripped all the 4x4 for my pheasant pen with the mill.

Chainsaw mills don't do nearly as good as a job as bandsaw mills but sharpening and running costs of lower.

Good enough for cutting 8x8 for cabins and rough lumber for small projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to extremebison For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM

I forgot to mention chainsaw mills like the Alaskan. I think you can get into one for much less than $3000. You must have quite the setup. I have a Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 PM

www.woodbug.com mine is a homemade one modeled after this mill. One could easily build one if you got a welder and a little spare time there's nothing to the mill really. I purchased mine from a friend who finished building with it. Then my thoughts or selling it when I'm done costing me nothing for the mill in the end. Something to think about. Alasken Chainsaw mills or suppost to be great gear also, never ran one though. Good way to get sawing though.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM

That's an interesting setup. I would like to find something to cut big slabs without spending a fortune.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM

I always want a woodmizer, I ran one a forestry show for an hour. If I had a big enough job for one I would finally bite the bullet. For know I just need timber's and slabbing four cuts on a leg take no time at all with a chainsaw mill.

Building with timbers have there benefits, no insulation, no finishing, and so on. 8x8 seems to have great thermo value also
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 636 Posts

I have one of these and I'm pretty impressed: http://www.ripsaw.com/ripsaw.html
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

The wood bug is faster then the Alasken Mill. Once you got your measurement set then it's just a matter of moving the log for the next cut. The Alasken mill is more portable but one has to set up for each cut. Depends what your doing. Pro and cons to every mill. The LT40 you have lift the log with hydrolics, more to brake down. But less back work. If your poaching ceder off the cost then packing the alasken to a tree thats off in the bush to ripe some boards to finish your sauna, then its worth it. Also the Alasken my compliment you woodmizer, having two options different units one has all the cutting needs covered. The alasken is also way cheaper to set up. I've been thinking of getting the alasken mini mill to slab boards after I squared the timber on my woodbug. I do have two chainsaws so changing out isn't an issue. Wasting time wrenching sucks.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,233 Times in 1,573 Posts

a "portable sawmill" is on my prep list for the future. I've seen a few and know of one guy who makes a decent living just taking his from place to place. We have a very decent sized wood lot and I think it would come in handy. The guy who built our house (before we owned it) used someone with one to cut all the timber for it from this land. If any of you have some links to share, please PM me with them!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM

That ripsaw looks awesome, its chain not band saw right?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
a "portable sawmill" is on my prep list for the future. I've seen a few and know of one guy who makes a decent living just taking his from place to place. We have a very decent sized wood lot and I think it would come in handy. The guy who built our house (before we owned it) used someone with one to cut all the timber for it from this land. If any of you have some links to share, please PM me with them!
Search Bailey's Online Store they got some different mills and demo days to check them out. Good source for the small time wood lot guy
Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Chainsaw mills work good for occasional cutting, but if you are cutting thousands of BF, there is a lot of waste. Speed is also an issue. They are still a valuable tool and a good way to cut lumber.

This is my setup.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
Three bandsaw mill companies that I can think of are

Woodmizer
Hudson
Baker

There are more. When I have time I will try to put up some links. If you do a search and type in bandsaw sawmills woodmizer, it will bring up links.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 PM

www.lucasmill.com

If you plan on doing alot of board feet

Chainsaw mills do have there place for sure. Depends totally on the job, I can do a 8x8 timber in about 15mins. Thats from the time I pull it off the wood deck to the time I put it in the timber pile. Producing 4 14 foot 8x8 timber's in a hour. To purchase these there about $50 a piece maybe more here. So I just payed myself $200 to build 4 timber's in an hour. Of course the band saw mills will do this faster but there also alot more to purchase so one better have alot of work for them. For building the odd cabin and shed, it's still economical to use a chainsaw mill. Not tons of overhead sunk into the machine.

Woodmizers they or caddies of the mill world without a doubt. There worth it if one can pick up jobs milling other lumber for people. But for personal use around the farm a small chainsaw mill can't be beat.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Sorry what I wanted to say is the lucas mill or the woodmizer can't be beat if your doing tons of 2x4's and so on. the lucas mill is great for if you live near the coast and there's huge timber
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM

A LT10 can be had for about $3000. I started with a LT15. That's why I got a hydraulic when I upgraded. I hate working harder than I have to. Plus, I'm lazy.

http://woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/manual/lt10/lt10.aspx
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

What king of wood are you cutting for you beams? Are you getting them off of your property or buying them? The last few months, I have been thinking about building a timber frame/post & beam home. I was thinking about using Doug Fir.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
What king of wood are you cutting for you beams? Are you getting them off of your property or buying them? The last few months, I have been thinking about building a timber frame/post & beam home. I was thinking about using Doug Fir.
Beetle killed spruce. It's real nice to work with and the bonus is it's dry. No twisting at all. I order by the truck load. $2000 for about 20 cord delivered to the yard. I sell the tops for $200 to $230 cord depending how cold and how deep the snow is when the phone rings for a wood order. Then I mill the rest. It's good program works out that most of the materials or covered for a project. Just the time in milling.

I really want the LT15. I didn't realize they were close to $3000. I payed $1000 for my frame, it'll do up to 24 footers. Then $1200 for the saw. It's the husky 3120 the biggest they built.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebison View Post
Beetle killed spruce. It's real nice to work with and the bonus is it's dry. No twisting at all. I order by the truck load. $2000 for about 20 cord delivered to the yard. I sell the tops for $200 to $230 cord depending how cold and how deep the snow is when the phone rings for a wood order. Then I mill the rest. It's good program works out that most of the materials or covered for a project. Just the time in milling.

I really want the LT15. I didn't realize they were close to $3000. I payed $1000 for my frame, it'll do up to 24 footers. Then $1200 for the saw. It's the husky 3120 the biggest they built.

The LT10 is about $3k. The LT15 is about $6k. Since they don't come with a trailer package, it's easier to add extensions. You can mill really long logs. There are other mills out there too. If you keep sawing, you might want to look at a bandsaw. You get a lot more lumber out of the same log. I don't have the stats, but I am sure you can find it on Woodmizer's website. They will tell you how much more net BF you get using one over the other.

What part of the country are you located and can that spruce be used for structural beams?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Here is that comparison.

http://woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/adv.../thinkerf.aspx