Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
mjmcdowell mjmcdowell is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 12 ga. coach gun..... questions



Advertise Here

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions I am sure some one can answer for me about my new 12 ga. Stoegar coach gun. 1. which bbl. mod. and which one imp. cyl? 2. Which trigger for which bbl.? 3. "Chambered for 3" is that for 3" mags? Thanks for any and all input on these questions stay safe, mjmcdowell
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
trixie trixie is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,013
Thanks: 2,692
Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

just pull both triggers at the same time
Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
mjmcdowell mjmcdowell is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Ok.... I like your humor.... but how about it, answers please!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell
Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
blackwolf911's Avatar
blackwolf911 blackwolf911 is offline
Dust of the Earth
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 757
Thanks: 781
Thanked 938 Times in 399 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcdowell View Post
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions I am sure some one can answer for me about my new 12 ga. Stoegar coach gun. 1. which bbl. mod. and which one imp. cyl? 2. Which trigger for which bbl.? 3. "Chambered for 3" is that for 3" mags? Thanks for any and all input on these questions stay safe, mjmcdowell
Don't know about the trigger configuration... but if it's chambered for 3" then 3" magnums are fine. Ask "Mossberg 590" about the triggers and barrels, he owns one. Here's the link to his page.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/member.php?u=25960
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
dcliffhanger dcliffhanger is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: north KY. the center of the universe
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 15
Thanked 1,991 Times in 843 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Most doubles are set up for the rear trigger to be used first, and therefore are connected to the most open choke. The foreward trigger would be to the tighter choke.

You can look at the trigger set up and tell which side goes to which trigger.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
GENT's Avatar
GENT GENT is offline
Whippersnapper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain.
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 2,626
Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,252 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Chambered for 3" probably does mean that the firearm is indeed chambered for 3" magnums- but if it is a new firearm it should have come with a manual which will say definetively.

I have never used anything other than the standard 2-3/4" shells- they do eveything that i ask of them, and i KNOW that they will be safe in any 12ga that i choose to use them out of.

My suggestion to you is that if you are unsure as to what type of 12ga shell your gun will take, stick with the 2-3/4" shells. They will do the job and probably wont make your gun explode.


also, on my double trigger SxS the front trigger shoots the right hand barrel, and the back shoots the left. I think this is standard, but it is easy to find out.
__________________
We are oft to blame in this, - 'Tis too much proved - that with devotion's visage And pious action we do sugar o'er The devil himself.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
blackwolf911's Avatar
blackwolf911 blackwolf911 is offline
Dust of the Earth
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 757
Thanks: 781
Thanked 938 Times in 399 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
Chambered for 3" probably does mean that the firearm is indeed chambered for 3" magnums- but if it is a new firearm it should have come with a manual which will say definetively.

I have never used anything other than the standard 2-3/4" shells- they do eveything that i ask of them, and i KNOW that they will be safe in any 12ga that i choose to use them out of.

My suggestion to you is that if you are unsure as to what type of 12ga shell your gun will take, stick with the 2-3/4" shells. They will do the job and probably wont make your gun explode.

.
When it comes to shot shells, magnum is a reference to a heavier pellet payload. NOT how powerful the shell is. "High Velocity" is the moniker given to more powerful loads, as the name implies. "High Velocity Magnum" is a hybrid of the two. Most magnum loads are less powerful than the standard equivalent. They just have a higher pellet count. They won't make your gun explode if regular shells don't.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,103
Thanks: 28
Thanked 4,916 Times in 2,945 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

The left is the more open constriction and controlled by the rear trigger...

3" means that it will take any size shell up to and including 3" BUT nothing longer...

3" usually denotes a magnum loading but that isn't always the case--it could mean that there is just more room for more pellets over the same powder charge...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
mossbrg590's Avatar
mossbrg590 mossbrg590 is offline
FANG FACE BULLETS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Binghamton NY
Age: 40
Posts: 476
Thanks: 448
Thanked 333 Times in 192 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Hey! aww I got mentioned! ANYWAY......in answer to your question the regular Coach Guns do not have mods for chokes. The Coach Gun Supreme does and of course the Uplander does. Everyone here is right as far as the triggers go. Right-Front trigger, Left-Back trigger. You can pull both at once with no effort (just a good recoil!). I have fired 3" mags out of it but only once. It will however take 2 3/4 shells and slugs just fine. Better to safe then sorry. The stopping power of TWO 2 3/4" shotshells out of a SXS at the same time is enough to stop just anything Anyway, I have a video of me shooting "George's" Coach Gun that can also help you with the manual ejection of the shells. Congrats on the pruchase!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DUKEBOOT.../0/an0agWscpC0
Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 AM
GENT's Avatar
GENT GENT is offline
Whippersnapper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain.
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 2,626
Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,252 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
When it comes to shot shells, magnum is a reference to a heavier pellet payload. NOT how powerful the shell is. "High Velocity" is the moniker given to more powerful loads, as the name implies. "High Velocity Magnum" is a hybrid of the two. Most magnum loads are less powerful than the standard equivalent. They just have a higher pellet count. They won't make your gun explode if regular shells don't.
But higher pressures will still be created by this; which could be dangerous in a gun that is not rated for use with 3" shells.
__________________
We are oft to blame in this, - 'Tis too much proved - that with devotion's visage And pious action we do sugar o'er The devil himself.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,103
Thanks: 28
Thanked 4,916 Times in 2,945 Posts
Default Re: 12 ga. coach gun..... questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
But higher pressures will still be created by this; which could be dangerous in a gun that is not rated for use with 3" shells.
No, that's not quite correct...

A shotgun is proofed for a specific load which is a lot higher then any commercial 3" shell produces--pressure wise as long as it fits into the chamber(s)...

If a gun has a 3" chamber then it will accept 3" field loads, 3" magnum loads, 3" heavy magnum loads...

Pressure build to dangerous levels when the longer shell is inserted; the crimp doesn't open up fully and the release of gas pressure instead of being all at once takes longer and that can rupture the barrel...
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net


This site is Gunny Approved