Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Default Best sniper rifle for the average Joe

Advertise Here

What would you consider as the best sniper rifle.

Use hunting and SHTF

No large bore like 50 cal. (put your monet towards ammo)

Priced right that does not break the bank

US made, but if it is a good deal for the money go for it

Ammo easy to buy and you can reload

Max range 1000 yards (hunting rifle main use)

Maybe something that you could buy and build it up as you go

May be Rem 700?

What caliber?
The Following User Says Thank You to OK Bowhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,668 Posts
Default Re: Best sniper rifle for the average Joe

I think the Remmy 700 will fulfill your needs, as for caliber .308, 270, or 3006 along with some good optics on top, will fulfill what ever challenges you put to this platform. I would go with a Leupold as a minimum for optics. Stay away from Bushnell, Tasco, etc and spend the money for a good quality variable scope you will not regret it.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Bowhunter View Post

Use hunting and SHTF

May be Rem 700?

What caliber?
I've seen threads like this before.

1) calibner the .308/30.06, .270 are very good also .300WM and 7mm Mag.
2) A bolt action
3) One rife to do both, hunt & snipe, how about one for each function
in the same caliber with the sniper worked on barrel and bolt.
4) When you question cost, how much is your life worth ??
5) 1000 rounds to practice.
6) any other questions pm
Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,871 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Bowhunter View Post

Use hunting and SHTF

May be Rem 700?

What caliber?
This was my choice, works great. Been shooting a friend of mine rifle and it is a tack driver out to 400 meters. Shooting Hornaday Tap 168 gr.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78352

Just ordered mine and can't wait for it to get here. You have all of the options you require and it is $400 to $600 less than some other rifles of the same type. This rifle got a Best Buy rating from Gub Test magazine.

HH54r
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Dont overlook the Savage 10FP. You can order them up how you like or accesorize as you wish. Very accurate and a little less cost than a Remington. Use the extra money for good glass as that is where the accuracy is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to glockrocks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

Hold on there. If you could be hitting 1000 yard, youd know how to answer the question.

Let's step back to 300 yards. The average joe has some real issues hitting 300 yards well in the field situation.

Savage rifles are excellent for the money. Weatherby vanguards are very affordable. Remington 700 is good. Tikka T3 are great for the money.

Calibers...... You want something with a low recoil for the quickest results. Many target shooters at 300-500 really like .243. But, these are paper guys. 250-300 is pushing the energy levels for deer hunting.

.308, but no ultralight rifles. However, bull barrels do not guarantee more accuracy. However, with heavier recoil calibers, they help smooth things out.

.270 winchester is a necked down .30-06. Very common, likely the best whitetail deer specific cartridge.

.260 remington. Not a huge bullet selection, but a very capable long range low recoil round.

.243 remington. Great little target gun. but, it is limited on deer.

.223. Best option If you don't reload. It can work for deer, but you need a 1:9 or so twist rifle and use 62gr or better bullets. Roughly the same advice for 22-250. This cartidge has a good bit of speed on the .223. The capacity versus bore diameter is rediculous. Definitely a funny looking cartridge. Actually, this caliber used to be a very common police sniper round. I think the US Army used this caliber as well.

Keep in mind, with topics like these. There is much better shooting practice than long range bench shooting.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 2,237 Posts

rem 700 -----
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,547 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

In this day and age I would say what ever you can afford to shoot beyond rimfire. Training will more then make up for a lack of velocity or weight provided you shoot it all the time.

I would just use my AR15 that I always do.

I had Savage tacticals in 300win mag, and 308 , both shot better then I could. Glass is always my highest cost, the gun may be 400 but the optic was 1000
The Following User Says Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockrocks View Post
Dont overlook the Savage 10FP. You can order them up how you like or accesorize as you wish. Very accurate and a little less cost than a Remington. Use the extra money for good glass as that is where the accuracy is.
I personally don't own one, but from friends as well as the net I've also heard great things about the Savage rifles.

Here's a link to the one glockrocks was talking about:
http://www.snipercentral.com/sav110fp.htm

I've been trying to decide on a nice hunting rifle and this is most likely the way I'm going when I decide to finally get one. As for caliber, .308 or 30-06.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

savage is a damn fine rifle i got one or two, but i love my rem 700 more than any, plus its the base for the military's bolt action sniper .308, mines a .270 though i love that round
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,510 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Hold on there. If you could be hitting 1000 yard, youd know how to answer the question.
Not to beat you up, but yeah that part of a previous comment makes a lot of sense and holds a lot of water. I am going to assume your a fair shooter at the moment with some rifle experience and aspire to reach that target range with some practice.

Quote:
Use hunting and SHTF
If you get a gun that rings the gong at 1000 yards you will likely find that it doesnt make the best hunting rifle although you can indeed hunt with a "sniper" rifle. If you get a good hunting boltaction you will likely find it making things pretty tough for you out to 1000 yards. To my way of thinking you need to comprimise a little bit here or get two different guns.

Quote:
Good idea. There are other rounds that are a little better for anti personnel and unless you are looking for a gun that can be used for anti material, a 50 cal leaves a lot to be desired in my experience. In Iraq and 'Stan, these guns kicked up a pretty impressive dust signature and you had best be shooting and scooting or very well protected! You will likely find yourself drawing fire and mortor rounds/RPG's only have to land close.

Quote:
I really wouldnt let that be too much of a mitigating factor. Id be all about who can provide the hardware I need, and worry about that factor much later down my desicion making process. Scoring a hit and putting warheads on foreheads or filling the freezer is more important than what country it was made in.

Quote:
I really wanted a .338 Laupa, but really, do I wanna pay 4.00 bucks plus a round or use a shovel to fill the cases with powder? Anything thats not easy and convienant and reasonably cheap, and your not going to practice as much as you should, and your shooting abilities are going to suffer to a degree. I like the .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem mag for under 800 yard work. These are all very common and popular hunting chamberings and most are fairly common for tactical rifles in an anti personnel role. Any thing beyond these and your looking at something thats more specialized, read that as "expensive" and will generate more recoil than most shooters can comfortably handle unless you like the abuse or have a 13 lbs plus rifle. I have a couple of rifles in more punishing calibers than that but I cant say that I really enjoy shooting them that much despite the fact that I can reach way out there with them. Ill stick to something a bit milder instead of wilder.

Quote:
If the main use is hunting you really got no business shooting beyond 400-500 yards unless your all that and a bag of chips. For hunting I doubt most here need to reach beyond 300 and most probably drop thier game under 200. You really owe it to the game your hunting to make it a quick humane kill and not just a fatal shot. But then again maybe my ethics are uneccessarily higher than some others. When shooting game I want to recover it, when shooting a human (Iraq/Stan Vet) I just want to neutralize them. Whether that takes a few seconds or a couple of hours to be fatal I dont care as long as they are no longer shooting back or able to direct in comming fire.

Quote:
A lot of merit to this thought. Not everyone has long arms and deep pockets. But many of us can afford to but a quality actioned rifle and upgrade it as fun dollars become available and ultimately make it the rifle we wanted and needed. I started with a Remington 700 VLS in .308 Winchester and tweaked and modified it from there until it was the gun that filled the bill. Luckily it was a phenominal rifle right out of the box and required only minimum work. Will you be able to score a rifle that good or better out of the box, prehaps, but if not you can fix it. In the long run this is often a bit more costly than just buying what you want to begin with.

Quote:
May be Rem 700?
Excellent platform for the average Joe and hard to go too far wrong with for about 90% of the people out there who are spending thier money and not some agencys money. I am somewhat partial to the Rem 700, but Savage aint no chump either from a potential stand point. I also like the Weatherbys as well and chances are if I build anymore guns they will most likely be on the Vangard or Mk V actions. These are solid action designs with a reputation. I also believe they are once again made in America too. The biggest thing I like about them is the bolts have relief holes drilled in them so if there is a case seperation or blown primer, gases are vented out the action through them and not all back in your face/eye or through the magazine floor of the action. While they do make replacement parts like glass eyes and artifical limbs, they really dont work as good as the OEM ones God gave you...

Quote:
What caliber?
You make a case for a couple of dozen different chamberings as many can be quiet effective at hunting or "sniping". I like and prefer the 30 cal, 7mm and 6.5 calibers due to the great bullet selection for hunting and "long range target shooting". I like the fact that most are pretty easy on the shoulder at the bench and fairly reasonable to reload for. This is not to imply that a 257 Weatherby or a 340 weatherby can fill the bill in fine form and fashion. Just keep it in perspective, what works for me or someone else may not work as well for you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Hunter

Model 700, 24-26inch varmint barrel. Caliber 300 Win Mag, or 300 Ultra mag.
Mag extension, over sized lug, lightened firing pin with heavy duty spring.
Vortex flash hider.

Just like mine

Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,320 Times in 2,681 Posts

if your going to try and learn to shoot out to 1000 yrds you better spend $500-$800 on the weapon, $800-$2000 on the scope, and about $3000-$5000 on ammo for practice cause your gonna need ALOT of practice.

you really need get out of fantasy land to come down to earth and realize YOUR NOT A SNIPER !! ,unless you plan on takeing some official sniper training courses then forget it,and i dont mean a local appleseed training course either.earning the title SNIPER is a skill that you cant learn on your own even if you spent $10,000 on a weapon it MUST be learned/earned. just the same as buying a uniform doesnt make you a soldier/marine.yes you can buy a weapon that can put down your target at 1000yrds but the question is are YOU capable of hitting that target at that range?without training ...HIGHLY doughtful,most improbable, you would have just as much chance of hitting your target if you closed your eyes and use the power of the force.

bring it down to more realistic ranges like 400-600 yrds.that will be a challange for any adverage joe which types of weapons and calibers have already been mentioned that you should look at
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM
zombie response team

aslo any old enfeild or mosin nagamt will serve ya fine, hell a mosin for round 100 bucks is an awesome price, my girlfreinds boyfreind has one he will sell me for 60 bucks i wanna do it dont know why i havent
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

I prefer the 300wsm as the range lets you not worry bout wind as much as .308.Rem 700 is great platform to build on.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 PM
zombie response team

correct the .300 is a lil more of a round, but u got so much data on a .308, if nuthing else its a millitary caliber, but i still have a sweet spot for my .270, love that round
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
correct the .300 is a lil more of a round, but u got so much data on a .308, if nuthing else its a millitary caliber, but i still have a sweet spot for my .270, love that round

I used .308,300wsm,7mm,416 chey,.50bmg in the corps and privately.They are all great rounds just a preference.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
zombie response team

yep, no 2 people like a 7mm or a .270 or what ever
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,058 Times in 2,885 Posts

you might consider a Howa in .308.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,794 Times in 2,013 Posts

I bought my Browning A-bolt 30.06...used...already scoped, for $500.

Only a trained sniper using a spotter should be trying 1,000 yard shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post: