Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I love this forum

Default Draco AK 47 pistol by century arms.

Advertise Here

I think I want to carry one of these in addition to my pistol. I can carry one with my LTCF but not an actual rifle. What are some pros to having a non stocked riflepistol?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Dust of the Earth

Default Re: Draco AK 47 pistol by century arms.

With the stock removed and the barrel cut down you're left with a big heavy awkward pistol. The only plus side is that it's a man stopper if you can hit your target.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

friend has one and it makes for great closeup work. he put a red dot on it and it is a pretty formidable weapon... he can hit 3 moa at 100 with it.. pretty damn good imho...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM

People rub a ton of dirt on these as "cheap **** toys" but I would love someone to show me more quantifiable fire power in a similar sized package. As for accuracy, if you actually zero the iron sights there is no reason you shouldn't be able to tag Ivan's at 200m. Plus with a Form one and a new rear trunnion its the easiest weapon to SBR, as it already has a short gas system and bbl, thus no modification is necessary.

If ya dont want to SBR it, you can drill/tap the flat rear trunnion and attach a sling mount, thus allowing you to stabilize the weapon while firing. Had two of them in AFG as you can shoot easily from a vehicle, and the weapon has the firepower capable of quickly disabling another vehicle/driver. Bought one as soon as I got back.

ETA: The one I bought stateside had no FH on it and was kicking out beachball sized fireballs. Recommend a good FH for one.

Last edited by CWG; 04-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: forgot something
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The big problem with rifles turned into pistols is that you lose the very thing that makes a rifle so important. The ability to hit things at long distance. If you see a deer at 150 yards, can you take it? Or hostiles at 200? If shortness is important, a rifle with a folding stock is a better option in my opinion.

I can see it as a handy source of close range firepower in certain circumstances. But less than ideal for bugouts and many other purposes.

I feel the same about pistol gripped shotguns. A folding stock would achieve the same thing, plus allow for better aimed shots at longer range.

I'm not against rifle caliber pistols. I have two XP-100s in .308 for long distance pistol competition and hunting. But the difference is that these were designed to balance perfectly and be shot with a proper pistol stance/grip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,492 Times in 15,653 Posts

Whatdayamean tag Ivans at 200m
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 AM

Ivans, steel man sized targets, at 200 meters. Yes, a folding stock would make firing a weapons more accurate, but the weapon is compact for a reason. I have not found something in a comparable package that can be used in a vehicle. We also have 10.5 m4s, and mp5N. 10.5 M4 still takes up some space as the stock isnt folding, and a 9mm SMG is not ideal for shooting at other vehicles. Unless you all rolling around in a huge SUV (with a crew) i dont know how many points of contact you think you'll have in a moving vehicle. I personally like to use one hand to hold on. I'm not saying this is precision combat tool of any sort, but it has several specific uses that I think are unmatched in its class.

Weather its a draco, or some sweet-ass milled krebs AK, a short AK is designed for the same function, and the draco is an economically priced option.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,615 Times in 612 Posts

These thing are not intended to be used in place of a rifle but hoo-boy do they bring some serious OOMPH into a SHTF situation !

Nice workaround for states with a "No loaded rifles in vehicles" law. You should be able to mount a single point sling somewhere (at the pistol grip or rear of the receiver). adjust the sling so you push against it for stability when firing. I'd put a green lazer (more easily seen in daylight) on a railed forearm. If it has the typical AK side optic mount then perhaps a red dot on a quick release mount ?

I'd also get some of the 20 round "tanker" mags for easier concealability. Nice thing is you can hang a drum under it for serious firepower when needed.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Hiker

Just get an ak and stick a folding wire stock on it.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I just sold a Galil version of this pistol. Had the 35rd mags. I couldnt get used to the sling firing, I need a stock on a SBR apparently. Awesome package though.
The Following User Says Thank You to lrsd.ranger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

I bought one last year. Drilled and Tapped the rear for a sling swivel, installed quad rails and an eotech. It STILL sucked to shoot. Awkward as hell to try to aim without a stock. I sold it after a few range trips.

I love AK's... have several... but will never again buy an ak pistol.
Now a short barrel rifle AK? HEll yes.. would love to have one.

My favorite AK at the moment is my Yugoslavian underfolder. It can be fired and mags changed with folded stock if necessary, but you can have a stock for stability with just a quick tug... the stock clears a 30rd mag no problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Hiker

Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	29498

Heres a pic of my folding ak. 26 inches folded.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken01976 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,500 Posts

these things have NONE of the benefits, and all of the down sides, of each type, be it rifle or handgun. waste of cash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vergeltung For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

A rifle is a rifle because it has a stock. The stock makes it easier to aim and easier to make repeat shots.

An AK-47 can be one great compact firearm with a folding stock.

Keep the plan simple. Militaries all around the world are concerned about the capabilities of their troops. Virtually all troops are equiped with one firearm, a semi-automatic centerfire rifle. A sidearm is a good addition.

Don't mix your arms up. Pistols are to be temporarily used while you don't have a rifle handy.

Also, you mentioned the C work.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,183 Times in 460 Posts

A few years ago i bought a used Bushy AR pistol in 556, and when test fired we consistently hit man sized targets at 100 meters.

I think i just bought it cause it was a "naughty" gun, just like an AK pistol, cool factor is way high, and gun grabbers don't want u to have it.

I would get the ak pistol, its easy enough to carry, and if SHTF it would be a cool back up to your rifle.

Oh yeah,,if SHTF, i don't think anyone is gonna be informing anyone of laws pertaining to stocks on pistols, SBR's ect!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergeltung View Post
these things have NONE of the benefits, and all of the down sides, of each type, be it rifle or handgun. waste of cash.
It can penetrate body armor and holds 30+ rounds... Its also a 12.5 inch barrel which means velocity is not that bad.... I figure this is alot of firepower in a legal and small package.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
It can penetrate body armor and holds 30+ rounds... Its also a 12.5 inch barrel which means velocity is not that bad.... I figure this is alot of firepower in a legal and small package.
It's not about the round, it's about the delivery system. If you can't hit with it very far out, you might as well use a CZ-52 as a handgun because it can penetrate vests, and pick a real rifle for longer distances.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

it is actualy 11.5" and yes it is still effective
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,045 Posts

My ears hurt....Somebody just said "Century"....

No, don't get it. The thing is a piece of garbage.

Not only because it is made by Century, but also because, as others have said, it is not a rifle, and has none of the benefits of a pistol.....

Get a rifle, or get a pistol - just don't get a "pifle" or a "ristol".....
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,287 Times in 629 Posts

It is neither a good rifle nor pistol in my opinion.

They are very loud, so I'd hate to shoot one indoors a la a home defense weapon.

I think you would be happier with some type of underfolder ak. It is a little bit bigger, but you actually get the benefits of a rifle out of that size package.

If you want someone for the range, I love "novelty" guns like this. Personally I prefer the kel tec plr 16, but have thought about buying one of these just for the hell of it.

If you have your other bases covered and have a few hundred dollars to spend, get one. Worse case scenario is you have your fun with it and resell it and lose $50. To me it is worth $50 just to play with something.
The Following User Says Thank You to richis7 For This Useful Post: