Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,506 Times in 4,458 Posts

Advertise Here

I've been contemplating a bunker/cellar but have yet to find a practicle way to do it. My ten acres are in a marsh(polite for swamp). Water level in the dry season is about 4 feet under ground. Water level during the wet season is about 4 inchs below ground to 8 inchs over ground level. Needless to say it is wet wet wet! Any ideas?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,450 Posts

first you would have to build up a ground pad area of least 18.inchs along with the pad is going to be design where dureing a rain storm and it can not float as it called i think for that area ..your shelter is going to heavy drained around the base of the unit useing a socalled french drain system ... plus going to have to do some heavy duty water proofing on the unit ..

then the next thing is getting enough dirt and sand and rock to cover you shelter..for southern fl area does have a lot of hilly country if i remember right when i live down there it a lot of flat wide open land .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank2222 View Post
first you would have to build up a ground pad area of least 18.inchs along with the pad is going to be design where dureing a rain storm and it can not float as it called i think for that area ..your shelter is going to heavy drained around the base of the unit useing a socalled french drain system ... plus going to have to do some heavy duty water proofing on the unit ..

then the next thing is getting enough dirt and sand and rock to cover you shelter..for southern fl area does have a lot of hilly country if i remember right when i live down there it a lot of flat wide open land .
Nice idea about the hill, only problem is that the highest thing on my property is the septic drain field that is raised 4 feet over the property level. although i do have a second drain field that was installed and never used for a home that never got built before i bought the property. it may work?
The Following User Says Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,296 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT View Post
I've been contemplating a bunker/cellar but have yet to find a practicle way to do it. My ten acres are in a marsh(polite for swamp). Water level in the dry season is about 4 feet under ground. Water level during the wet season is about 4 inchs below ground to 8 inchs over ground level. Needless to say it is wet wet wet! Any ideas?
Have you thought of an above ground bunker?
The Following User Says Thank You to arisinwind For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,950 Times in 3,505 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Move out of Florida. Joking sorta, although arisinwind lives somewhere in Florida, I guess in one of those rare dry areas. And we all have hopefully, seen all of his excellent pics of his awesome root cellar.

Hank and arisinwind gave some good ideas as I hope maybe someone else also will. I have a high dry sunny hillside so no worries about getting "swamped or flooded"

I did build my large woodshed in a wet area since that was the only large fairly flat area to build. And my spring goes almost under that woodshed. And when the snowpack is melting in May and June I have 7 springs. 2 of those springs flow under the woodshed.

I used most of the dirt and rocks which formed a huge pile when I dug my 20 plus foot long bunker. This dirt and rock pile forms the base or foundation of my woodshed and is 4 feet high. This woodshed is also a storage area and since it is 4 feet above the springs and wet areas it is dry.
I also built two sheds at least 3 feet above this wet area and they are built on posts.

Not sure if that helps but I just had to tell what I did in a wet area I have. Which I dig into the dry hill - mountainside and build on posts or on high mounds of dirt in wet areas.

Pic of one of 2 sheds built on posts behind the large woodshed >

Showing the front of my well camoflaged large ( 10x30 foot ) woodshed which is mostly built on top of the 4 foot high pile of dirt and rocks. >

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisinwind View Post
Have you thought of an above ground bunker?
Hope he does, as well as any who have reasons to not have an underground bunker / fallout or storm shelter.

I tried googling above ground bunkers which I got much although most were way too expensive. Maybe some will think those are good. Just google above ground bunker

But here is what I think is one of the best and is certainly the most inexpensive above ground shelters >

http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p934.htm

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,942 Posts

Mike one of these days when your in ( your retirement bunker fully equipped with nurses and the like heh heh) ill have to show ya my attempt at building a dream home.

i have to find this old flash drive with all my (fallout , Nuclear, and end of the world stuff) lots of pics etc.

Great thread mike!

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kroenen117 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen117 View Post
Mike one of these days when your in ( your retirement bunker fully equipped with nurses and the like heh heh) ill have to show ya my attempt at building a dream home.

i have to find this old flash drive with all my (fallout , Nuclear, and end of the world stuff) lots of pics etc.

Great thread mike!
Hope I won't need a retirement bunker for at least 30 years. But if/when I do, then the bunker I have shown in this thread should be the one I use, hopefully much improved. Maybe even over a hundred feet long or Possibly even a couple miles long coming out the western side of the Continental Divide. Probably not but never know.
And I would not mind a nurse or good squaw right NOW!

Always accepting applications. No male nurses need apply.

And never too many pics for this is a mega pic thread.
Also any who have posted and asked me questions, I will get to you someday soon. I am working backwards into the thread. Only five or so more posts to go, which those will have to wait until some other day for me to answer.

And there are quite a few great threads especially those with pics and/or videos.

Too bad many ignore or miss great threads such as this one which is getting better and better with all the good posts. Just might turn out to be the greatest Bunker pic thread in the history of the net.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM

Use old tires for a above ground bunker! Just pack them with dirt and put in pyramid formations so they don't fall over.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Trapper

Your preps, Ariswind, always send me out prep shopping. Thanks so much!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pearlselby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Trapper

And, Ohioman, your preps were so awesome, I made notes and spent (invested) and got many things I forgot about. Thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Same in Oklahoma, Vincent. My brother says if you turn over a rock, you got water..lol
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Trapper

MTNMANMIKE,

I found Mike Oelers' home several years ago when we were looking at retirement homes. Brings back memories. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Trapper

MTNMANMIKE,

We have a very high spot with a drive between our ponds. It is very shaded. We thought of putting an Rv there. But, it is almost at the back of the property. So, far have not met the neighbors as we have not moved yet. Our caretaker says they are real nice and go to church. I will be going there next week and I will send you a pic and see if we could do something there. The entire left side of the property is wooded and has a very old barn. The other side of the ponds are pasture and partial wooded. I get the pic and see what you think.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,450 Posts

Pearlseby sir remember the to take picture of the land before you start you project so you can remember where things where and try and keep the land as it was before along with the reworking the land back to orignal look after put into the shelter ..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM

mt man mike- i'm planning on moving. asafp! waiting for the wife to drop the surogate baby she is carrying, and sell this property. just went out to california to look at property a month ago. my entire family is out there in the hills of northern cali. that is if i can get her to move?!?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank2222 View Post
Pearlseby sir remember the to take picture of the land before you start you project so you can remember where things where and try and keep the land as it was before along with the reworking the land back to orignal look after put into the shelter ..
Thank you Hank!!! I will be going there next weekend. I did send MTN 2 pics but, they were sort of far away as were we taking pics of the ponds...lol Getting down to the bigger pond is a big slope which is where the shooting range will be..lol...with signs Live Range...like someone on here posted. I am thinking we could build something underground sort of between the ponds where it is high and with lots of tree cover. Good idea on taking lots of photos and remembering where everything is...lol
Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
mt man mike- i'm planning on moving. asafp! waiting for the wife to drop the surogate baby she is carrying, and sell this property. just went out to california to look at property a month ago. my entire family is out there in the hills of northern cali. that is if i can get her to move?!?
At the risk of offending any Florida people I have to say that northern California is very probably a much better survival area than most of FL although arisinwind's area in north FL is probably the best area in FL.

And moving to where all of your family is would be a good idea especially if you get along with them and you would all help each other.
I don't like CA but the northern most area is probably the very best area of all of CA.
And southern Oregon and N. CA are pretty good survival and survivalist type areas for various reasons. Such as a low fallout area, possibly the lowest fallout area in the lower 48 states.
As well as being a beautiful forested area etc. Although far too many people in those areas for me but many don't seem to mind high population states.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlselby View Post
I did send MTN Mike 2 pics but, they were sort of far away as were we taking pics of the ponds...lol Getting down to the bigger pond is a big slope which is where the shooting range will be..lol...with signs Live Range...like someone on here posted. I am thinking we could build something underground sort of between the ponds where it is high and with lots of tree cover. Good idea on taking lots of photos and remembering where everything is...lol
Thanks for emailing the 2 pics. I will just show the one for I doubt your sister-in-law who you said is a non-prepper, would appreciate her pic on this forum. Especially this "scary" bunker thread which even many members here must not really like this thread or bunkers, from the few page views and posts.

These ponds, trees and land of yours looks very good and hope you can start building this summer. I doubt too many would want to spend 20 plus years building a survival retreat as I have had to do, even if we had 20 more years.

Good pic here of Pearls place >

Anyone can also message me and I will tell how to post pics if you are not sure.

Although I posted a detailed explanation in this post > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...hp?t=106733=#2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Trapper

Thenk you MTNMANMIKE.

This is the back of the place where we want to put something you know underground. I wondered if between the ponds would work...Trying to get husband on board..but I told him we could build into the side of a high spot. I am going to walk it better to see if something on the left of property will be better. I will do that next week. My husband had the idea first to build a cellar somewhere. I told him I had many plns off this site for it. There is a lot of rock on the property..large to small. i think that could be a plus.

Again, Thanks MTNMAMMIKE!