Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Thanked 1,495 Times in 602 Posts
Default Obama to Outlaw Wood Burning Stoves!

Advertise Here

I was doing some research today and discovered a wonderful little gem in the Cap and Tax bill that passed the House a while back. Apparently wood smoke is something that is going to kill all of us and destroy the planet so the government is working to OUTLAW them in this new bill. It actually is in the House bill right now!

I wonder what Ben Franklin would think if he knew a little over 250 years after he invented this very life changing invention to the people of America that a tyrannical government would be trying to destroy it!

Essentially if this bill passes as is you will not be able to install or buy any new wood burning stoves. If that passes and your electricity or furnace go out, tough luck for you because you won't be able to have a wood burning stove!

I couldn't believe it when I saw this. Now here is something more ominous to consider. If you can't have a wood burning stove because of the tyrants running our government then you must rely on gas, oil, etc. for heating. All products that are for the most part beyond the reach of normal everyday people to obtain for themselves, unlike firewood. Instead you generally have to get these types of things from industries that mine, drill, or produce them and deliver them to you. All industries that would be heavily regulated and taxed under this bill... Great tools to have in place once the rationing starts.

Government can then decide how MUCH gas, heating oil, coal etc. your family can have. If it deems you are using up "too much" for your personal allotment it simply stops allowing these companies to deliver these products to you as you have used up "your fair share". Since you can't get a wood stove any longer you are basically screwed.

Now in doing my research apparently some states and cities have already started banning new wood stoves from being installed, but at least up to now if you didn't like it you could move. If Obama's new law passes it will be a national ban! No where to move to get your freedom back. Like most things the government will simply outlaw manufacturers and the import of them so you won't be able to even buy them to install.

I simply couldn't believe this when I saw it. What should families do to if an ice storm or blizzard comes through and knocks out your power for a week or two in the middle of the winter and you can't run your government approved furnace with government approved and rationed fuel... apparently freeze to death is the Obama answer.

Now that my ranting is over I would love some practical advice of how to protect against this should it become law, which I would rate the probability of happening as good.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,354 Times in 1,736 Posts
Default Re: Obama to Outlaw Wood Burning Stoves!

Please cite the provisions of the bill that outlaw such stoves.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,427 Times in 644 Posts

Right. Links or it didn't happen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

new york is trying to pass a bill right now that will outlaw outdoor wood boilers.

they want everyone on smartgrid 100%. then they will dictate what temp your house is, when your lights are on, everything. nobody will be allowed to be self sustaining.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,595 Times in 9,527 Posts

first I had heard of this one... I would like to see a link to that assumption... though not to much would surprise me with this guy and his clown buddies...

and I am not giving up my wood burner... not a chance in hell..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cowboy56 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Hunter

wouldnt fireplaces also be banned?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 39,846 Times in 9,752 Posts

Obama is about as environmental as Barney Frank is straight. It's all about control 24/7. They can take my firewood when they pry it from my toasty warm fingers.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 39,846 Times in 9,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I simply couldn't believe this when I saw it. What should families do to if an ice storm or blizzard comes through and knocks out your power for a week or two in the middle of the winter and you can't run your government approved furnace with government approved and rationed fuel...
Well, we get to go to camp. FEMA camp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Thanked 1,495 Times in 602 Posts

I hear a few skeptics in the thread, but fair enough, I would ask for a link or proof as well. Here it is....

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111...nid=t0:rh:2885

Admittedly this is a bit tough to read because it makes reference to other parts of the bill and other sections of law that I couldn't track down, but it tells me enough in this section to say wood stoves or rather "unapproved versions" are on the government's hit list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,554 Times in 4,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
wouldnt fireplaces also be banned?
No, just the wood burning ones. Most fireplaces are gass now'a days anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,163 Posts

It would be illegal to remove the ONLY source of heat a man has (& quite dangerous too). I would think it is more along the lines of trying to limit the amount of carbon-based combustion that is not absolutely necessary. (throw another bomb on afghan, will ya?)
I do not listen to what the fork-tongued liar obama says AT ALL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,427 Times in 644 Posts

OK, here it is in a nutshell.

1) They're not confiscating your wood stoves.
2) Wood stoves that don't meet the emissions standards would be eligible to be replaced under a federally subsidized program with a cleaner one.
3) Wood stoves replaced under the program cannot be sold to anyone else.
4) If you don't want to participate, they're not holding a gun to your head.

I couldn't find the exact wording, but they're probably going to phase in emission standards for new wood stoves sold after some date. This sort of thing goes on in several states anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,895 Times in 2,668 Posts

OMG Just shoot me now and get it over with. We have been looking for a place with a wood stove And want to be self sufficient. Looks like someone doesn't want it that way. I suppose if I move into a tent and have a campfire I'll be arrested or worse. When are we gonna say enough is enough???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinbad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Glad that we just put a second one in the cabin. We wanted to build for our next house in a few years with a fireplace being placed in the center of the house to heat it the most effeciently with wood.

Might need to buy it now (stove), forgo the central placement, and install it myself after inspection. But do you want to bet that insurance will stop covering houses that have woodburning stoves?
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
myheart'sinthehighlands

I believe that Home owners Insurance companies would be supporting this.
They all want to know if you have a wood stove in your home and some will not insure you unless you remove it. I learned this first hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to granny squirrel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Hiker

In Norway we still have lots of wood burning fireplaces and if they try this stunt here....well....i think it will wake up some long dead Viking blood!!!

I can not understand your goverment...and the people voting for it...well, Norway is pritty much in the same path so i cant speak to loud about our selfes...

Anyway, i hope this is just not happening and Obama and all of goverments of this kind will get sick of their selfes...SOOOOON!!!!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Normann For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,187 Times in 856 Posts

While I certainly believe it is possible (even probable) that the slippery slope of woodburning stove legislation could lead to an outright ban eventually, I think SteveGee has it about right. Just as they have done with windows (I know because I just bought some), they are upping the standards considerably for woodstove emissions.

I am sure that no one will ever 'outlaw' windows per se, but, they have made them considerably more expensive to buy, and I am sure that their standards there will also continue to escalate (and their own firms, either government funded, or government owned will eventually be the ONLY ones making windows that 'qualify').

Unlike windows, woodstoves could conceivably be outlawed some day but I don't think that is the starting point. EPA stamps of approval already are listed for woodstoves here locally, and on many online sites.

It is probably not a bad idea to buy any new stove with at least a basic determination of its efficiency and emissions, but, I, like everyone else here (and most people these days from what I can tell) do feel a bit squeezed and suspicious of any government regulations. Don't blame you at all, but, in this case, I wouldn't panic quite yet.

I haven't read the proposed bill yet (I will but only on an empty stomach!) but I wonder what it says about fireplace inserts .. and I wonder whether, if you can't get rid of fireplaces (and, you can't - half the country it seems has at least one, although not all are woodburning), that at least an insert will be ok to have down the line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,163 Posts

They do give small & immediate tax benefits to the square footage of newer window purchases. Not much, but the double panes are a step up regardless of higher cost.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Don't worry. Anyone using a wood burning stove will get a solar power heater paid for by Joe The Plumber. If you're burning a stove Robama Hood will take care of you.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Hunter

They have already done this in many duristictions in Canada, including Montreal where I live.

I already owned one so I'm ok, but there will be NO NEW INSTALATIONS of wood-burning stoves.

the government does NOT want you to be able to take care of yourself..period.

We had a huge ice storm here in '98 that lasted 14 days ( an more depending onwhere you lived) with no power,water etc..

I was happy at home cooking on my stove, as my neighbour who has literaly gotten rid of his 1 week earlier stayed at a shelter!!

Even with this freash in most peoples mind they STILL passed the law banning new instalations.

The Government doesnt care about you!! They care about the bottom line for the power utility you deal with.