Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default Rossi Trifecta @ ****'s Sporting Goods



Advertise Here

If you are looking for something small (but not really light) that gives you a lot of options on a survival firearm, you might want to consider the Rossi Trifecta.
****'s is clearing them out for under $170 in my area.
There are several options but I went with the 20 gauge, the .243 and the .22 LR. It comes with a neat little carrying case.
I am new here so I am not sure about posting links to commercial sites but if you google rossi trifecta you will find it. It was fun to shoot and accurate enough to bring home the bacon, so to speak. It is a youth gun but still very usable by adults. (About 33" overall length with the .22 barrel)
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat is offline
Nope.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,106
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,357 Posts
Default

So any complaints about it, sarge?

I find myself constantly looking at the .22LR/.410 Matched Pair as a good backpack rifle.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
oscar615 oscar615 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Co.
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 373 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
If you are looking for something small (but not really light) that gives you a lot of options on a survival firearm, you might want to consider the Rossi Trifecta.
****'s is clearing them out for under $170 in my area.
There are several options but I went with the 20 gauge, the .243 and the .22 LR. It comes with a neat little carrying case.
I am new here so I am not sure about posting links to commercial sites but if you google rossi trifecta you will find it. It was fun to shoot and accurate enough to bring home the bacon, so to speak. It is a youth gun but still very usable by adults. (About 33" overall length with the .22 barrel)
$269 at the Lakewood, Co store. Not as good by any stretch. For 170.00 I would have been heading there...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 PM
pj_01's Avatar
pj_01 pj_01 is offline
Be Prepared
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 249
Thanks: 172
Thanked 180 Times in 91 Posts
Default

i was lucky enough to pick up a used one for $150. it came with tasco scopes on the .22 barrel and the .243.

the gun shoots just fine and can get tight quarter sized groups at 100 yards. (i load my own ammo so i was able to find a mix that works great for the gun in the .243 cal) i traded the tasco scope out on the .22 and moved it to my sons .22 and picked myself up a cheap reddot for $20 on cheaperthendirt.com. makes it easier to shoot i feel for that small round.

i also dropped in a last ditch kit into the stock of the gun with 5 rounds of .243 and 50 of .22 the 20 ga does not get used much except for some simple clay shooting i do once a month. but i do have 2 boxes of rifled slugs in the bag just in case i want something with a little more size then a little .243 barrel.

love the gun wish it was more like the wizard and had a barrel for evey caliber i have in my collection. but that will come later.

i will keep this one in my truck for when you just get the urge to shoot something.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default

TFH, sorry, I never saw your question. Nope, not complaints at all. I passed it on to one of my kids and her family with the 3day emergency kits that I made for all the kids at Christmas time. (About half my safe is empty after that project.)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default

I do wish that they made a youth version with .357 - 17HMR and 20 gauge. They make all three barrels but not in a set. I asked Rossi if I could special order one but it was no go. I could buy two sets and mix and match but it would take a smith to fit them (probably!) and I would end up with one pretty lame set.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
stinkybriches's Avatar
stinkybriches stinkybriches is offline
space samurai
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 455
Thanks: 48
Thanked 293 Times in 170 Posts
Default

i want one in .50 cal muzzle loader, 12 gauge, and .45-70.
if it ever gets down to making my own black powder id be set.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkybriches View Post
i want one in .50 cal muzzle loader, 12 gauge, and .45-70.
if it ever gets down to making my own black powder id be set.
the Trifecta is a youth gun, you need the Wizard (sorry, no .45-70 at this time, would a .45 Long Colt do?)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
ksmedman's Avatar
ksmedman ksmedman is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,152
Thanks: 3,276
Thanked 4,173 Times in 1,342 Posts
Default

Bought my 11 YO son the .243/20ga combo. Very happy with it, hoping he takes his first deer with it this year.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
stinkybriches's Avatar
stinkybriches stinkybriches is offline
space samurai
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 455
Thanks: 48
Thanked 293 Times in 170 Posts
Default

maybe a .30-30 would work. im going to have to look into this a bit more...
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 PM
trainwreckmetal's Avatar
trainwreckmetal trainwreckmetal is offline
Metal Head!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 376
Thanks: 1,121
Thanked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Default

What a bunch of ****'s!! lol. gotta love filters
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 AM
sailinghudson25's Avatar
sailinghudson25 sailinghudson25 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,885
Thanks: 645
Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts
Default

That gun has it's prupose. A survival firearm is not one of them. You could hunt with it and target shoot with it.

For any sort of defensive purpose, you need a repeat shot quickly.

I heard several accuracy complaints locally from the Rossi centerfire rifles, and one guy locally had problems with the action popping open when the gun is fired. Too scary for me. Also, a shotgun without a vented rib is much harder to shoot moving targets well. I see very few folks shooting a non vented rib and actually hit anything with some sort of consistency.

If going down that route of single shots, I'd much rather pick a H&R over the rossi.

Another 50 bucks, I'd just get a remington pump shotgun.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
arnoldrew arnoldrew is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kentucky
Age: 28
Posts: 1,257
Thanks: 695
Thanked 959 Times in 474 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
That gun has it's prupose. A survival firearm is not one of them. You could hunt with it and target shoot with it.

For any sort of defensive purpose, you need a repeat shot quickly.

I heard several accuracy complaints locally from the Rossi centerfire rifles, and one guy locally had problems with the action popping open when the gun is fired. Too scary for me. Also, a shotgun without a vented rib is much harder to shoot moving targets well. I see very few folks shooting a non vented rib and actually hit anything with some sort of consistency.

If going down that route of single shots, I'd much rather pick a H&R over the rossi.

Another 50 bucks, I'd just get a remington pump shotgun.

Most of the time a "survival gun" will be used it will be for hunting and target shooting. This obviously wouldn't be very suitable for defense, but then nobody said it was.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
That gun has it's prupose. A survival firearm is not one of them. You could hunt with it and target shoot with it.

For any sort of defensive purpose, you need a repeat shot quickly. . . .

.
No one ever said it was the best defensive gun on the planet. For what I bought it for, it does the job quite well.
Having said that:
One can load a single shot pretty quickly with practice. I practice with three rounds in my weak hand, primer up. With that little 20 gauge I can get off four rounds in about 12 seconds.(one in the tube) I can hit a moving target with it all day long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
bobzilla bobzilla is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,367
Thanks: 21,100
Thanked 8,511 Times in 3,912 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldrew View Post
Most of the time a "survival gun" will be used it will be for hunting and target shooting. This obviously wouldn't be very suitable for defense, but then nobody said it was.
Survival means hunting,not a defensive weapon IMHO
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 AM
klickitat's Avatar
klickitat klickitat is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 884
Thanked 2,095 Times in 759 Posts
Default

I bought one of the synthetic youth .410/.22LR combos for $107 at Walmart one day because it was such a great deal and figured the kids could use the .410 to hunt rabbits and grouse with.

The problem was when I got it home and tried it out, I was in for a rude awakening. That thing him me in the cheek so hard that it brought tears to my eyes. I refuse to let the boys shoot the .410 as I do not want to ruin them.

Now I am not sure as to why it kicks so hard. It could be the fact that it is a youth model and short, and does not fit me right. It could also be that is is so stinking light. Then again it could be a combination of things. Good guns but this one is definitely not for the kids.

I kept it and put it in one of my caches for emergency use.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
sarge912's Avatar
sarge912 sarge912 is online now
Father of 11 husband of 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 6,187
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
I bought one of the synthetic youth .410/.22LR combos for $107 at Walmart one day because it was such a great deal and figured the kids could use the .410 to hunt rabbits and grouse with.

The problem was when I got it home and tried it out, I was in for a rude awakening. That thing him me in the cheek so hard that it brought tears to my eyes. I refuse to let the boys shoot the .410 as I do not want to ruin them.

Now I am not sure as to why it kicks so hard. It could be the fact that it is a youth model and short, and does not fit me right. It could also be that is is so stinking light. Then again it could be a combination of things. Good guns but this one is definitely not for the kids.

I kept it and put it in one of my caches for emergency use.
Mine are the wood stocks and the kids handle them fine, we got the 20 gauge but I suppose it depends on the age of the child. The .22 is a great trainer IMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Trebuchet Trebuchet is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 544
Thanks: 60
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Default

I bought the Rossi Pick 4 because there were no available Trifectas. Really cool little gun. Will be a keeper even after the kids out grow it.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net