Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 AM

Default Long Shelf life Items I have found

Advertise Here

I have been looking for long term foods with a very long shelf life. I have seen a lot of threads and posts about various foods that have a decent shelf life and they would rotate stock when needed. I don't want to rotate. Well at least only rotate rarely.

I found some freeze dried and dehydrated foods that can be ordered off the internet. More importantly I wanted to find things i could get from the local store. There are many canned goods you can find at the supermarket, but some last forever.

These are the Items I have found and I wanted to share with you. If I am wrong about anything, please correct me. If you know of anything else, please tell me

#10 CANS of Mountain House Food
- Most have a shelf life of 25 years

Thrive foods from costco
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=BC&Ne=40000
Grains and rice have a shelf life of up to 30 years
Freeze-dried foods have a shelf life of up to 25 years
Dehydrated foods have a shelf life of up to 15 years

Red Feather Canned Cheese
- Indefinite shelf life
http://store.prepared.pro/redfeathercannedcheese.aspx

Whey Milk
- 20 year shelf life
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...odid=11500305#

Del Monte Cans
- Indefinite shelf life

Dinty Moore Beef Stew
- Indefinite Shelf life

Hormel canned goods
- Indefinite Shelf life
- Pretty much all of their canned goods
- This also includes items like Stagg Chili and Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash or Roast Beef Hash

Spam
- Indefinite shelf life

Yoders fresh canned meats
- Indefinite shelf life
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...beef%2C/Detail

Yoders canned bacon
- 10 year shelf life, not as long as the rest but come on! BACON!!!
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail

All of the canned goods like Hormel, Dinty Moore etc lose their taste after like 3-5 years but the food remains edible forever. This means you don't have to throw them out if you didn't eat them fast enough.

I hope this helps!

Edit*

I just saw a video explaining mre entrees technically have no expiration date.
The video is called "How can I tell when my MRE is Expired" and it is half way down the page.
http://www.thereadystore.com/mre/mre...ack-case-of-24
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Read Books

Thanked 9,104 Times in 3,451 Posts

Hey Reb, I wish I could thank you twice for this. Good post.
The Following User Says Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Right Handed

Lots of canned goods of quality, if not punctured, smashed, or stored in high temps have shelf lives long after their expiration dates...

try it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Sunset Watcher

Thanked 1,091 Times in 497 Posts

I have never read that the canned foods you mentioned in your thread have an indefinite shelf-life. That's good to know. You mentioned Del Monte, which food products have an indefinite shelf life for them . . . fruits, tomato sauces, etc.?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ladysurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 AM

I will email them and ask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebel_ins For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts

Hey guys, this guy found something called Mountain House freeze dried and Spam.
Canned goods...hmmm...I never thought of that.
Cool...we should get some, don't ya think.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Left SB 2/28/2010 :)

Thanks for this list. We also stock the canned butter, although most of our needs for such calls for the butter-flavored lard, as it lasts forever. Very little in our stock has a shelf life of less than two years, including the chicken, turkey, beef and sausage.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,162 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
was that really necessary?!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
That hurt. It really did. My first thread trying to help others and i get bashed. Thanks.

There were reasons i listed what i listed.
Mountain House, yeah I'm sure spending any amount of time on this forum you will hear about it. But compared to another company like Honeyville, Mountain House lasts considerably longer. It probably has to do with the sodium content.

Same goes for the Whey milk from costco, it lasts 20 years compared to the whey milk from honeyville which only lasts 5 years.

Yeah maybe all canned food technically lasts forever but these are the ones i read from previous threads that the company confirmed they last forever.

I spent considerable time looking through the forum and this is what i wrote down. I thought i would share it.

P.S. to Ladysurvivalist

Del Monte does confirm:

Del Monte canned products have a shelf-life of about 2-1/2 to 3 years from the date of production. This assumes the can isn't dented or damaged, and the product is stored under normal conditions. After that time, the color, flavor and texture of the food may begin to deteriorate, although the contents would still be safe
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rebel_ins For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Shelf lives

great thread.

I've wondered for some time now about the shelf life of the following items (assuming the shelf to be in the dark, between 40 and 60 degrees)

Uncooked pasta
uncooked rice
uncooked oatmeal
instant potatoes
powdered gravy
vienna sausages
canned chili
canned beans
microwave popcorn
ramen noodles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Troglodad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,763 Times in 31,336 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Rotation isn't so much about storage life as it is about adapting and learning to use those foods. During a crisis is no time to have to make the changeover to unfamiliar foods. Rotation also gives you time to learn to use those foods, to invent new recipes and find ways that your family will enjoy them, not just choke them down to fill a growling tummy.

The added benefit, of course, is that it does keep the foods fresher. Sure canned goods don't "rot" in the can, but they do become disagreeable after a while. If they had been rotated into the every day diet, they'd still be fresh.

That doesn't mean you have to live 100% on your preps. But using them, along with the fresh foods you grow, buy in the store, or hunt and fish for, does get them rotated in time. I figure we used to rotate a years supply about every 3 or 4 years that way.

Learning to cook with them is especially important for things like dehydrated foods. These are the bulk of my supplies, and they have a learning curve and require some experience before the meals you make with them are superb. It's worth the effort to learn though, as most of them taste better than their canned counterparts, are more nutritious and cost less per serving.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
On the lake

I came across this informative article the other day about shelf life:

Food Storage Shelf Life
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DocG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 PM

fcb98292- Thanks, I'll look into butter-flavored lard.

Troglodad- I read that uncooked pasta and rice can be stored on the shelf in an airtight container in a dry area that is not exposed to extreme temperatures, can be stored indefinitely and still be safe to eat but the USDA recommends storing dried pasta for no more than two years to obtain the best quality.

A 2005 study at Brigham Young University found that the quick cooking type rolled oats that had been stored for 28 years in sealed containers were rated "acceptable in an emergency" in taste and quality by 75 % of people involved in a taste test of the rolled oats.

As for the rest I will look into it and edit my post.
The Following User Says Thank You to rebel_ins For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Prepared

Don't forget Hormel brand foods.
http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4
The Following User Says Thank You to DetroitMarauder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,502 Times in 17,179 Posts

rebel, great thread!

btw, Welcome to the board!

I hope to see lots more of your threads
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,502 Times in 17,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_ins View Post
fcb98292- Thanks, I'll look into butter-flavored lard.

Troglodad- I read that uncooked pasta and rice can be stored on the shelf in an airtight container in a dry area that is not exposed to extreme temperatures, can be stored indefinitely and still be safe to eat but the USDA recommends storing dried pasta for no more than two years to obtain the best quality.

A 2005 study at Brigham Young University found that the quick cooking type rolled oats that had been stored for 28 years in sealed containers were rated "acceptable in an emergency" in taste and quality by 75 % of people involved in a taste test of the rolled oats.

As for the rest I will look into it and edit my post.
Interesting, I've always have wondered if the LDS Church/BYU had conducted
and long term research, I bet the have rooms filled with data on food.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm on earth! where r u?

Not only do they have data but they also provide help storing food to even us non-lds folk.
http://www.providentliving.org/chann...1706-1,00.html
Call your local LDS church and ask them if they have a canning facility open to the public. They usually will let you use it for a very nominal fee. 10 bucks in Los Angeles but I haven't tried it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,988 Times in 2,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Rotation isn't so much about storage life as it is about adapting and learning to use those foods. During a crisis is no time to have to make the changeover to unfamiliar foods. Rotation also gives you time to learn to use those foods, to invent new recipes and find ways that your family will enjoy them, not just choke them down to fill a growling tummy.

The added benefit, of course, is that it does keep the foods fresher. Sure canned goods don't "rot" in the can, but they do become disagreeable after a while. If they had been rotated into the every day diet, they'd still be fresh.

That doesn't mean you have to life 100% on your preps. But using them, along with the fresh foods you grow, buy in the store, or hunt and fish for, does get them rotated in time. I figure we used to rotate a years supply about every 3 or 4 years that way.

Learning to cook with them is especially important for things like dehydrated foods. These are the bulk of my supplies, and they have a learning curve and require some experience before the meals you make with them are superb. It's worth the effort to learn though, as most of them taste better than their canned counterparts, are more nutritious and cost less per serving.
Man, I wish we lived closer to you ... I would love to sit down and pick that brain of yours ... (and see your kitchen! LOL)
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,988 Times in 2,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_ins View Post
That hurt. It really did. My first thread trying to help others and i get bashed. Thanks.

There were reasons i listed what i listed.
Mountain House, yeah I'm sure spending any amount of time on this forum you will hear about it. But compared to another company like Honeyville, Mountain House lasts considerably longer. It probably has to do with the sodium content.

Same goes for the Whey milk from costco, it lasts 20 years compared to the whey milk from honeyville which only lasts 5 years.

Yeah maybe all canned food technically lasts forever but these are the ones i read from previous threads that the company confirmed they last forever.

I spent considerable time looking through the forum and this is what i wrote down. I thought i would share it.

P.S. to Ladysurvivalist

Del Monte does confirm:

Del Monte canned products have a shelf-life of about 2-1/2 to 3 years from the date of production. This assumes the can isn't dented or damaged, and the product is stored under normal conditions. After that time, the color, flavor and texture of the food may begin to deteriorate, although the contents would still be safe

Ehhhh, don't worry about it ... some of these guys are only here to discourage people. Don't let them get to you. There was a time, not that long ago, that someone else had a thread like this and I learned A LOT from it.

As fast as this board is growing I really don't think that any subject can be re-introduced too much. Some people just forget what it was like to be new to this.

Welcome to the boards!!

(And thanks for posting the info on DelMonte ... I have a TON of DelMonte stuff in my storage room!!)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Very useful info Rebel, thank you for sharing your efforts!

When it comes to freeze dried meals like Mountain House #10 cans, I understand not rotating. That stuff will probably taste just as good in 30+ years (though the nutritional content may be gone). I have some of it stocked myself because I think the meals are delicious.

I do have issue with not rotating canned goods and other similar items. Truth is, I am probably just spoiled. I have a hard time keeping it down if it looks or tastes off. Funky color/tasting spam? It's already funky enough, thank you lol. It is practically a staple in Hawaii and I still don't like eating the stuff "fresh", if there is such things as fresh spam!

I get that in dire circumstances we will be forced to do and eat things that ain't pretty, that is kind of a given. Yet, if we can do things now, develop the lifestyle habits now to make the living easier then (after the SHTF), I am all for that. After all, living in such a high stress situation, eating could be a great comfort and stress reliever--if you can look forward to and enjoy what you are eating. For me that means no 20 year old colorful meats.

That's why I had to thank MikeK for his insightful reply. I have a long ways to go with this. I do not cook much at all, and do not have a garden, but these are both things that I want to do.

Anyways, thanks again, keep it up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niimo For This Useful Post: