Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Jäger

Default Taking Small Game with an 80 lbs Crossbow?

Advertise Here

Hey,
I am a total beginner shooting Crossbows so now I wanna start with an 80 lbs pistol crossbow. I wanna try Small Game hunting with it and mount a scope.
A have two questions:
1. How is the precision of an average 50 Dollar pistol crossbow on around 25 or 30 yards? Is it enough to hit something like a Crow?
2. Are 80 lbs enough energy to take small game like crows, pigeons and squirrels?

Do you think it's good to hunt crows and other similar game under 30 meters? I wanna use a scope and mount a stock.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Trapper

For small game like that, if you can hit it with a blade you can kill it. Not enough power to kill with blunts.

Now, as to whether you can actually hit the target? Only you can answer. Barnett crossbows are pretty good, but most pistol-crossbows are built for imaginary uses. costume-play.
The Following User Says Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Jäger

Thanks!
What do you mean with blunts?
Please take a Look at that link.
http://www.4komma5.de/12-Pfeile-fuer...ange-65-165-cm
Of Course this isn't a blade, but it should be pretty sharp. I could also grind them a bit... So do you think this is enough to kill small game?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Target Shooter

A blunt is a head that kills a target by trauma related injuries. By transferring the most amount of energy without intentionally penetrating the target, should only be used on small game with a high power bow or crossbow. Not pistol cross bow or small bow. I would recommend jumping straight into a full size crossbow, even if it was only 100-120lbs. It will have more range and make more humane kills on targets.
Cheers,
Sean.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiwi_Bowhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Jäger

Well, ok I'm gonna take a big crossbow with 130 lbs or more.
This was exactly my problem, for me a fast and painless kill is the most important thing about hunting. We should try to save the animals from suffering any unnecessary pain by getting shot. So I'll buy a "big" Crossbow with enough energy.
And with an 150 lbs using blade bolts I don't have to worry about that and the bolt's range anymore.
Thank you, guys ; )
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

These are blunts basicly were a reg crossbow is going to go straight through it a blunt kills by massive blunt force trauma killing instantly while keeping the meat and fur intact and you get the added benifet of not getting arrows stuck in trees as theyl bounce out
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Genesis 1:29

Default Re: Taking Small Game with an 80 lbs Crossbow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter96 View Post
Hey,
I am a total beginner shooting Crossbows so now I wanna start with an 80 lbs pistol crossbow. I wanna try Small Game hunting with it and mount a scope.
A have two questions:
1. How is the precision of an average 50 Dollar pistol crossbow on around 25 or 30 yards? Is it enough to hit something like a Crow?
2. Are 80 lbs enough energy to take small game like crows, pigeons and squirrels?

Do you think it's good to hunt crows and other similar game under 30 meters? I wanna use a scope and mount a stock.

Thanks,
Paul
If you wanna mount a scope and stock I don't know why you wouldn't just get a full sized crossbow, before you required a license to own a crossbow here I had a full sized crossbow with a scope and I found it difficult to hit anything I was aiming at, I'm not sure how a small pistol crossbow would fire without a stock, but I can't imagine it being very easy to hit anything with
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter96 View Post
Well, ok I'm gonna take a big crossbow with 130 lbs or more.
This was exactly my problem, for me a fast and painless kill is the most important thing about hunting. We should try to save the animals from suffering any unnecessary pain by getting shot. So I'll buy a "big" Crossbow with enough energy.
And with an 150 lbs using blade bolts I don't have to worry about that and the bolt's range anymore.
Thank you, guys ; )
Good choice. Commendable ethics.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Target Shooter

Us "Non-gun" hunters get pinged enough for unclean, inhumane kills. Sadly, it does tend to happen more often, people stretching their limitations and the limitations of the weapon. Yeah, maybe you're bow could take a deer at 60m. Can you hit the kill zone? Account for windage, string and handle torquing, obstacles all with a bit of stag fever thrown in for good measure.
I've heard stories of people shooting animals with arrows in their legs/head and being found in horrible condition because they can't eat properly. So if you're going to do it, do it as best as you can.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Jäger

I also got a little problem with some archery hunters going out to shoot big game.
Those who can get under 20 yards close to an animal will kill it fast for sure, but there's many videos on youtube where you see that they shoot on relative long ranges and hit the animals very bad. I just saw a video of some guys shooting an ELEPHANT (!!) at 30 yards or more with a crossbow. They didn't even hit him on the front side so he wasn't deadly hurt at all.
So, if you ask me, archery hunters should try more to get deadly shots or use firearms. They also shouldn't hunt animals over 500 lbs with a bow.
Well, I think for my uses hunting small game a crossbow is deadly enough. But even for a deer a good hunting bullet in the right caliber is much more humane than a long range (cross-)bow shot.
But as I said, those archery hunters who are good shooters and shoot on appropriate ranges are totally ok, but it doesn't make the reputation of us all hunters better to see videos of guys being proud of the slow kills their causing. Everyone can have a bad shot, but I think for some bow hunters the deadly shots are the rare thing.
I don't want any archery hunter here to feel attacked by me now. I know that not everyone is that kinda "bad" hunter, and using firearms also doesn't have to make a kill faster if you can't shoot. But I think many of you have the same opinion and, as I said in the upper post, we should try to save the animals from pain. A archery shot at bigger ranges can't guarantee that.