Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Mossberg 500 Trigger group help!

Advertise Here

Ok so this past winter I took my Father in-law out shooting and he shot my Mossberg 500a 12 ga. with pistol grip, well he didn't have a good grip and it jumped out of his hands and hit the ground breaking the trigger group. I ordered a Used 1 off Gunbroker and I made sure that it is the right 1 and all but when I went to put it into the receiver and it won't fit, The front end keeps getting hung up and won't allow the back to sit flush to put the Pin in. Any Ideas?? I have owned this shotgun for a while and have taken it apart dozens of times and have never had an issue.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Have you made sure the cartridge stop and interrupt arms are all the way in and the trigger group is clearing them? I had a #*($@ of a time the last time and it ended up that the cartridge interrupter arm (the one with the pin on the outside) kept sliding out just enough to obstruct the trigger group.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've made sure nothing is in the way, Hell it don't even fit when Nothing is inside either. My first thought was it was my error or something but Nope even with it completely taken apart it still don't fit.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Dust of the Earth

It's a simple design and the fact that you've disassembled dozens of times in the past leads me to believe something is off with the part, not your assembly. Especially considering that it won't fit even when no other parts are in the receiver.

Mossberg has made subtle design changes over the years, that could be the culprit. Quality control is very consistent, but I have ran into a couple bad parts. A defective part is also a slim possibility. Perhaps this is why it was up for sale?

Do you see any visible difference when comparing it to your old trigger group? Does the old trigger group still fit? Was the receiver damaged in any way from the fall? I'll take apart one of mine, maybe looking at it will give me some ideas.

Call Mossberg and ask about possible changes in trigger groups.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
Telephone: (203) 230-5300 (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. E.S.T.)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,489 Posts

Make sure all the pins in the trigger group are seated in all the way. If even one is extended a tiny bit out, it'll stop the group from going in. If that doesn't work, switch the safety on/off and try again.

Can you post the url for the gunbroker listing?

rich
Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Make sure all the pins in the trigger group are seated in all the way. If even one is extended a tiny bit out, it'll stop the group from going in. If that doesn't work, switch the safety on/off and try again.

Can you post the url for the gunbroker listing?

rich
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=158337215
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Gus, there's nothing wrong with that group in the pic. Even with that front pin uncentered as it is, it still inserts. I tried it on two here. My next suggestion would have been cartridge stop and interrupter as Dfib said but you said even with the receiver fully stripped out, it won't fit.

How'd the old group break? Was it just the triggerguard or what? Does the old group still go back into the receiver? The receiver wasn't damaged as Black asked, right?

Can you take a pic of the new group inserted into the gun as far as it will go? Both sides if you can. That might show us the obstruction.

rich
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,134 Times in 6,880 Posts

here is some help should you need it for proper assemble

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
How'd the old group break? Was it just the triggerguard or what? Does the old group still go back into the receiver? The receiver wasn't damaged as Black asked, right?

Can you take a pic of the new group inserted into the gun as far as it will go? Both sides if you can. That might show us the obstruction.

rich
It was the high pice of metal near the rear of the Trigger group (Pic 2) that broke along with the Trigger guard, The receiver is just fine minus some scratches but its an old gun anyways my dad had it for a long time before I got my hands on it, I would snap a few pics but some odd reason they never show up on this site.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Dust of the Earth

In the picture it's not cocked. I assume you've done that? Just trying to cover the bases...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Dust of the Earth

Is the cartridge stop on your mossberg exactly the same as the one in the kit? The bolt slide used to activate the cartridge stop, but they changed that. I mention it because there might have been a change to the trigger group or the receiver at that time as well. I know there is an older trigger group design, though I'm not sure when that changed. The parts kit you bought has the newer cartridge stop and trigger group. How old is your shotgun? Mossberg should be able to tell you based on the serial number.

The other thing that comes to mind is why did someone gut their mossy and sell the parts? Maybe they had an issue too.

This is the best video on assembly, but after you've done it a couple times it's old hat. And it sounds like you're well acquainted. Just throwing it up there in case you see a difference somehow in the way you're trying to drop it in.

The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
I mention it because there might have been a change to the trigger group or the receiver at that time as well.

The other thing that comes to mind is why did someone gut their mossy and sell the parts? Maybe they had an issue too.

Yeah I've used that video when I first took it apart 2 yrs ago, Yeah I think the fellas gun was bust so he sold the parts, and I'm wondering if there was a slight change cause I filed down the front prongs a tad and I'm still having issues. I plan to call up Mossy today and see what the deal is.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

The high thing is the safety connector. It stops the trigger from being pulled by butting up against the safety on the inside of the receiver. It breaks off the trigger if the trigger is pulled hard with the safety on which would explain why yours is broken. Safety on, the triggerguard breaks on impact and the trigger is pulled which breaks the connector loose. The common method of breaking that connector loose is to install a pistol grip with the wrong stock bolt....if it's too long, it goes right against the connector and you hear a slight "ping" as it snaps the trigger pin. If the stock/grip bolt is too long and it's installed with the trigger group out, the connector butts against the bolt and won't let the back side of the group fit in as it should. That's what I'm still thinking. Somewhere in there, somehow, that connector, your stock bolt, and your safety aren't in the right places. To test that, remove your stock/grip if it's still on and then try to seat the group. If it does, there's your answer and a couple of washers on the bolt will fix it. If it doesn't fix it, put the safety on, that's in the back position (lol) and try again.

rich
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
remove your stock/grip if it's still on and then try to seat the group. If it does, there's your answer and a couple of washers on the bolt will fix it. If it doesn't fix it, put the safety on, that's in the back position (lol) and try again.

rich
Nope not the issue, I have the pistol grip on which has to be removed before it can be taken apart.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did call todayto Mossberg, and I think the people with brains were off today.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Tuefel Hunden

You got any pics somthing don't make sense. What are we missing?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,040 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

When you need help with a Mossberg call the experts http://havlinsales.com/ . Fantastic service, quick shipping and they now what they are doing.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
What are we missing?
Same thing I was thinking, Dave. There's not exactly a whole helluva lot that can be the prob. The shell stops can get in the way, he says they aren't. The trigger group pins can protrude out a bit, but he says they aren't. The stock bolt can block the safety connector, he says it isn't. The receiver could be damaged somehow, he says it isn't. The hammer should be cocked, he's tried that already. It's one small plastic thing sliding into a larger aluminum thing in one finite hole. There aren't a lot of possibilities there. The prob has to be right there.

No more ideas. Without pics, I give up.

rich
Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok so I broke down and took my shot gun completely disassembled to a smith last Tuesday, He called me friday after being completely baffled, He put the Trigger group I bought into another Mossberg and it slipped right in, so he thought it was the receiver till he tried a different trigger group into my gun and that 1 slipped into my mossberg with ease!! So all in all he charged me 1 hr and we traded trigger groups. Thank you all for your help, Sorry I could not post any pics on this thread I tried and it coming up as red X's.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
Ok so I broke down and took my shot gun completely disassembled to a smith last Tuesday, He called me friday after being completely baffled, He put the Trigger group I bought into another Mossberg and it slipped right in, so he thought it was the receiver till he tried a different trigger group into my gun and that 1 slipped into my mossberg with ease!! So all in all he charged me 1 hr and we traded trigger groups. Thank you all for your help, Sorry I could not post any pics on this thread I tried and it coming up as red X's.
That makes absolutely no sense, but least it's fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post: