Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers

Advertise Here

I want to start packing my own food and i was wondering if anybody had links to sites where I can buy bulk items of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. The more user friendly the better. I really appreciate any help. THank you!
Kelly
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
- Celer Silens Mortalis-

Sure check out www.APlusSurvival.com they are price competetive and they will negotiate to price match if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Steele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Sunset Watcher

Thanked 1,091 Times in 497 Posts

I have ordered the large 5 gallon bucket size mylar bags from http://www.mylarbagsdirect.comand if you can find your local LDS cannery where you're at in Kansas, then you can get these great smaller 7mm mylar bags (which means they have thick walls and hold about 5 - 6 pounds of rice) for $.35 each and 100 oxygen absorbers for $8. The LDS have some of the best prices you can find. I use them more often than the larger mylar bags because they're convenient in size for a family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ladysurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Thank you all for the info. I have never question. How do I know what sizes are what? Liek some say 30 x 20 does that mean literally 30 inches by 20 inches? I understand the 7mm meaning how thick and durable. I wanted to pack things like dehydrated veggies and am not sure what sized I should use.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Pacific NW Survivalist

The cheapest place I have found for the Mylar bags and O2 absorbers is by going directly to the manufacturer...

Sorbent Systems (IMPAK)

20"x30" Mylar bags are $1.48
1500cc O2 absorbers are $.30 ea (buy in packs of 50) - what they recommend for the above size bags

10"x16" Mylar bags are $.56 ea
300cc O2 absorbers are $.25 ea (buy in packs of 50) - what they recommend for these smaller bags

They also sell specially made bag clips to reseal your O2 pack is you don't use all the packets for $4.00 ea

I use the smaller bags (which are hold one gallon) for dehydrated fruits and veggies and the larger ones for 5 gallon buckets of wheat, rice, etc.

I just went an measured a 10"x16" bag and it literally does mean 10 inches by 16 inches...when laying flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Decidion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,408 Posts

This guy sells them on eBay for cheap, I have never had any problems buying from him. I use my Foodsaver to seal them.

$29.99 + $5.99 shipping for 60ct 1-gallon mylar bags, +60ct O2 absorbers

These are not super-thick mylar but so far they have been working very well for me. Bagged 50lbs rice just a few weeks ago.

Remember you MUST re-seal your O2 absorbers after opening the package if you don't use them all. Otherwise they'll just use themselves up. Use a Foodsaver or similar to seal them up, or a Zip-loc bag and squeeze our all the air you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm getting frustrated because I have visited the sorbent site and they have so many types and sizes I have no clue which to buy. I want to be able to store 2-5 pounds packages. The process I've watched on youtube is that I'm to first use a vacuum clear bag and vacuum seal it with an oxygen absorber then put those into a mylar back and seal the edge. Is that a correct process? I wish I knew someone locally to help me...lol
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,113 Times in 13,656 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippelz4me View Post
I'm getting frustrated because I have visited the sorbent site and they have so many types and sizes I have no clue which to buy. I want to be able to store 2-5 pounds packages. The process I've watched on youtube is that I'm to first use a vacuum clear bag and vacuum seal it with an oxygen absorber then put those into a mylar back and seal the edge. Is that a correct process? I wish I knew someone locally to help me...lol
For the size you are looking for, 125MFS18 is about right. 12.5" by 18" or 10VF4C16 10" by 16". The site says these are equal to a #10 can. About a gallon. Both are 4.3 to 5 mils thick, plenty thick.

Hope it helps
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Not to hi jack the tread but I was just sitting here thinking about making myself a cup of hot chocolate and when I opened the swiss-miss package I realized it was made out of Mylar. I did a little experiment to see if I could reseal it and it actually worked.(heated a penny with a pair of pliers over a lighter, sealed up tight just like it was never opened) I don't know if I would reuse it for food storage but for small parts and little do dads that you have to keep dry and rust free. Might be worth it?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Pacific NW Survivalist

Quote:
I would also suggest the 10"x16" bags. You also don't have to vacuum out the bags, you can simply seal off most of the bag, force the air out best you can and then seal off the last bit. The O2 absorber, if properly sized, should suck up the rest of it. Of course vacuuming does do a better job. Here are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to do it without vacuuming:

He uses a special heat seal gun, but an iron works just as well (and fesno uses pennies). He also suggests not trimming the bags so you can reseal them if you need to.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 AM

thank you sgtbooker44 for the help! If I filled those size bags with food and put in the oxygen absorber do i really need to even vacuum it?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 AM

lol I didnt see your post before I asked my other question. I have seen those videos before I didnt know if that would be okay on other products besides wheat...so thats good to know. If I sealed like dried onions, celery etc...that would stay good for a few years at least dont you think?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Pacific NW Survivalist

Quote:
lol I didnt see your post before I asked my other question. I have seen those videos before I didnt know if that would be okay on other products besides wheat...so thats good to know. If I sealed like dried onions, celery etc...that would stay good for a few years at least dont you think?
I would think properly dried onions or celery would last 10+ years, although I have not actually been prepping long enough to know firsthand....only what I have read.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
thank you sgtbooker44 for the help! If I filled those size bags with food and put in the oxygen absorber do i really need to even vacuum it?
I really do not like the oxygen absorbers as the only way to remove oxygen from a sealed bag. I have a Minipak chamber vacuum sealer which works great for smaller items but it's too small for those large mylar bags. What I did was make a rubber tube that threads into the hole in the sealer. Once I seal the mylar bag with an iron I cut a hole just big enough to insert the hose (about 1/4 inch) and remove the remaining air in the bag. I then quickly seal the area in front of the hole so I can remove the hose without allowing air back into the bag.

I would prefer to have some port that I could easily attach the hose to (like a basketball) but too much work to make and install. I do not know if the consumer type vacuum sealers would be able to do this but it's worth a try.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
- Celer Silens Mortalis-

I agree sorbent is the cheapest way to go but if you have ordered from them before the process can be a pain. Also, if you only need 5-10 of them I have still found local suppliers to be the best ( always beware of shipping and handling when comparing prices) . I emailed www.APlusSurvival.com and they told me that they have a Refuse to Lose Policy and are willing to price match any competitor, so if your on the west coast, they are based in California.
Good Luck
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,888 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysurvivalist View Post
I have ordered the large 5 gallon bucket size mylar bags from http://www.mylarbagsdirect.comand if you can find your local LDS cannery where you're at in Kansas, then you can get these great smaller 7mm mylar bags (which means they have thick walls and hold about 5 - 6 pounds of rice) for $.35 each and 100 oxygen absorbers for $8. The LDS have some of the best prices you can find. I use them more often than the larger mylar bags because they're convenient in size for a family.
What??? I just ordered some bags and O2 absorbers from this company you recommended. After I sent my cc number it said it went through paypal. I don't even have a paypal account. I had one when I used to sell on e-bay but got rid of both because they are a rippoff. I hope I get the stuff I just paid almost 60.00 for.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
- Celer Silens Mortalis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbad View Post
What??? I just ordered some bags and O2 absorbers from this company you recommended. After I sent my cc number it said it went through paypal. I don't even have a paypal account. I had one when I used to sell on e-bay but got rid of both because they are a rippoff. I hope I get the stuff I just paid almost 60.00 for.
Sounds wierd and they are definately not selling oxygen absorbers 100 for $8. its actually $17+ for 100 absorbers.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,888 Times in 2,668 Posts

Supposedly I paid $1.59 per 5 gallon bag and $7.99 for a pack of 10 Co2 absorbers. My worry is why after I declined to use paypal and use my ccc they said it went through paypal.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,345 Times in 4,436 Posts

uline.com
i just got a catalog from them in the mail. lots of good stuff.

i was told to use disposable diapers in my cache tubes. apparently they make good moisture absorbers? anyone else heard this or had any first hand knowledge?

Last edited by VINCENT; 05-07-2010 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add a question
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,637 Times in 745 Posts

I got a pack of 20 1-gal bags plus 20 oxy absorbers (300 cc) on amazon via OakTea, for $17.00 -- want to experiment with them before spending a bunch of money. (I can store 7 lbs of rice in a 1-gal jug, so I'm assuming these bags will hold 5-8 lbs of beans?? Also, the large bags are probably too heavy for me to handle.)