Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Hiker

Default How long should I run the sprinkler?

Advertise Here

I want my garden to be lush but I don't want to foolishly waste water, either. I am guessing that I should water about every three days over the summer. But, when the weather channel says that the watering need is high, how long do you think I should let the sprinkler run in a given area? How about when the weather channel says that the need is moderate? We have good water pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSanf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

running the sprinkler is a sure fire way of wasting water. plants need the water at the roots. excessive water on the foliage can lead to fungus and such.

You can hand water at the base of the plants that need water, or you can run drip irrigation to each plant. I put a cup of water at the base of my plants that need it and leave the others alone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fulminated For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Prepared

fulminated is correct about methods other than sprinkler irrigation being more efficient. However, for various reasons, sprinkler is often the only option. One of the biggest mistakes gardeners in the South make is not watering deep enough. The average lawn-type impact sprinkler needs to run five or six hours in one spot to put down enough water for a crop like corn. I usually move my sprinklers so the watering pattern overlaps the previous setting by at least fifty-percent. Watering to soil capacity once a week is better than two or three shallow waterings per week.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Titleless

Thanked 1,205 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanf View Post
...how long do you think I should let the sprinkler run in a given area?....
That depends on how much exercise it needs.

But seriously, folks...I was always told to measure how much water is hitting the sprinkled area. Since different sprinklers on different pressures will deposit different amounts, you need to do this for each different type of sprinkler head you use. Just set a tuna fish can (empty of course) in the main sprinkler pattern and when it is full, turn off the water and relocate the sprinkler. As the can is about 1 inch deep, when its full, you will have watered the plants with 1 inch, which is roughly what is needed per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highplains For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,175 Times in 606 Posts

I water every other day for about 20 min in each section.
The Following User Says Thank You to riverrat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,245 Times in 32,085 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I went with soaker hoses to prevent waste. You can usually find them cheap at Lowe's, Walmart and such. You can even put them on a timer and have it water automatically for you. I made 4 zones, each with a timer. Each zone got plants with similar water requirements, so plants that don't need as much aren't being drowned, while plants that require more aren't being deprived. Mostly I did this because I was spending a lot of time out of town and not able to take care of the garden properly. That freed me up to weed and such when I was in town.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I went with soaker hoses to prevent waste. You can usually find them cheap at Lowe's, Walmart and such. You can even put them on a timer and have it water automatically for you. I made 4 zones, each with a timer. Each zone got plants with similar water requirements, so plants that don't need as much aren't being drowned, while plants that require more aren't being deprived. Mostly I did this because I was spending a lot of time out of town and not able to take care of the garden properly. That freed me up to weed and such when I was in town.
How do you set up a timer on a hose?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Watch it buster!

set up your soaker hoses to run for 20 every morning EARLY IN THE MORNING, like 5-6 am! Watch your plants for signs they need more or less water.
The Following User Says Thank You to singingtothewheat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Titleless

Thanked 1,205 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_3kds View Post
How do you set up a timer on a hose?
There are different models. Some models have an electrically operated valve that screws to the hose bibb (faucet) and the hose screws to the valve. The timer box has wires that run to the valve and also plugs into an outlet for power.
Another model has a box that connects to the bibb and the hose connects to the box. They all work the same basically.
You hook it all up, set the On and Off times, turn the water valve to open and go to bed. At the preset time, the valve opens and the water flows, when finished, it shuts off and waits for the next program cycle.
Expensive models allow you to set different times on different days, and some even have rain sensors that will not turn on if you have had rain.
Just plug and Play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highplains For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains View Post
There are different models. Some models have an electrically operated valve that screws to the hose bibb (faucet) and the hose screws to the valve. The timer box has wires that run to the valve and also plugs into an outlet for power.
Another model has a box that connects to the bibb and the hose connects to the box. They all work the same basically.
You hook it all up, set the On and Off times, turn the water valve to open and go to bed. At the preset time, the valve opens and the water flows, when finished, it shuts off and waits for the next program cycle.
Expensive models allow you to set different times on different days, and some even have rain sensors that will not turn on if you have had rain.
Just plug and Play.
Aah, thank you. What a luxury that would be!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Prepared

I used soaker hoses, that way only the soil got the water and not the wind or the leaves. Be sure to consider mulch too as that will keep the soil moisture in and prevent weeds from taking over