Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Default can you eat crow????

Advertise Here

ok guys i see there is no bag limit for crow's in ohio..
can you eat crow??? if soo what/how do you go about prepping and cooking and serving them..
i am very interested to learn to do this
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,828 Posts

My "What if Bush is Secretly a Genius Thread?"

Ate a lot of crow after that!
The Following User Says Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Slush Butter Knife

I was just wondering the same thing the other day. I sure if I'm starving I'll worse than crows!

The reason there is no bag limit is because their a nuisance animal and therefore "No Limit"

But I don't think that means to eat them!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,001 Times in 442 Posts

We'd eat if it was necessary to survive. It's a scavenger like a coyote. Many things are edible doesn't mean it's something you'd like or be the best choice.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,373 Posts

Crows can be safely eaten. They are "edible" which means they provide nutrition and won't make you sick, but don't necessarily mean they taste good. Most of the flavor issues have more to do with how they're prepared than how they actually taste. They are actually not bad to eat.
Many won't eat crow because they eat carrion. However, they are actually among the safest of birds to eat for that reason. They, like vultures, have powerful digestive systems that kill bacteria and viruses in what they eat, so they don't communicate diseases that other birds may carry, or that their food had when it died.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Concerned Citizen

If food was scare or even just beginning to be scarce I'd eat them. Like EdD270 just mentioned it's more how you prepare them overall. You'd want whatever you cook the meat with to be something that will overpower any gamy or greasy taste of course, but a good amount of spices should be part of any good prep setup. Curries and peppers can make just about anything edible and when the meat is too tough grind it up and pan fry it for a while or stew it overnight and it should be alot easier to chew.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruleryak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
Crows can be safely eaten. They are "edible" which means they provide nutrition and won't make you sick, but don't necessarily mean they taste good. Most of the flavor issues have more to do with how they're prepared than how they actually taste. They are actually not bad to eat.
Many won't eat crow because they eat carrion. However, they are actually among the safest of birds to eat for that reason. They, like vultures, have powerful digestive systems that kill bacteria and viruses in what they eat, so they don't communicate diseases that other birds may carry, or that their food had when it died.
thanks, next time i see some crows out at the farm i'll pop them and try it out.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,255 Posts

I personally wouldn't by choise, due to their diet, the come into contact with disises not nesisarily just through the digestive system, but on their bodies- and the act of shooting them can cause contamination.
Also, due to the multiplier effect as with other animals high up in the food chain, there is the possibility of a build up of toxins in their bodies.

EdD270, You are probably right- but i still wouldn't if i didn't have to.

its not that i don't eat what i kill- just not carnivores or carrion if i can help it.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,209 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaJK View Post
thanks, next time i see some crows out at the farm i'll pop them and try it out.
Please let us know how you cook them, and how they taste; it would be great if you could provide a video of everything, too.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 AM

if it flys it fries-just like any bird if you prepare it right it tastes good and yes ive eaten crow and its not bad not great but good to eat
Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Trapper

Can you eat crow? Yes. Would I want to? Heck no.

Crows are like buzzards here, and they will eat any dead critter on the side of the road.

I would have to be mighty hungry to eat crow or buzzard.
The Following User Says Thank You to retrieverman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
snafu

I have eatin crows and pigeons. crow are not to bad not much meet though. pigeons are actually pretty tasty. As far as cooking them I just fried em like chicken. don't need to quarter them they aren't so big. just fry them whole.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

I have to do it a few times a year after football games

Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,346 Times in 3,183 Posts

There are very few animals, birds and insects that can't be eaten for a source of protein and very few less that with the removal of an organ or skin can be made none poisonous--polar bear liver, fugu=puffer fish...

The question is not whether they taste good or not but whether you want to or have to eat them...I've eaten various bugs, snakes and small animals in the Orient, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan and Hong Kong because I wanted to and on survival courses or outings where I had to, so I could survive and therein lies the difference...

Ever eat dog (actually quite tasty) but if you do so here you get the SPCA down on your ass for cruelty to animals...I've never eaten crow but they and raven and sea gulls are protected here in Canada--we can't legally shoot them but down in Colo. (on the in-laws farm) we'd blast them with anything and everything from air rifles to shotguns...Go to some real fancy restaurants and you'll see squab and escargot on the menu, it's just young pigeons and snails...

The mind set is based on the stomach growls and what has to be figured into the equation is whether it is harmful to you and if catching it is going to waste more energy then you get from eating it...
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Hunter

Default Re: can you eat crow????

Flying possum kentucky's finest.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGreenJeans For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Lock n' Load

Default Re: can you eat crow????

yes you can
I have found several recipes for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to RemingtonandCummins For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreenJeans View Post
Flying possum kentucky's finest.
Flying possum kentucky's finest.... That's hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonandCummins View Post
yes you can
I have found several recipes for them.
RemingtonandCummins.... All Winchesters and PowerStrokes for me
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 AM

Default Yep to eating crow

Anything can be eaten and will be greatly appreciated when it comes down to survival. I have eaten just about everything when i was growing up. My dad taught us kids that its better to be a sick surviver than a corpse from starvation. So many preps out there in the world that turn up there noises at thoughts of eating something if it doesn,t come from mcdonalds, or a fast food joint.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Not new

For awhile, there was a cookbook for preparing offal and other critters people do not usually think of as food. I forget the name.

Does anyone know the name?

I remember there was a warning in San Francisco about eating pigeons; the pigeons have a disease.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,346 Times in 3,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieD View Post
For awhile, there was a cookbook for preparing offal and other critters people do not usually think of as food. I forget the name.

Does anyone know the name?

I remember there was a warning in San Francisco about eating pigeons; the pigeons have a disease.
Roadkill Cookbook by Buck Peterson at Buck Peterson

The Fifth Quarter: An Offal Cookbook by Anissa Helou at
or any Caribbean, Mediterranean, Oriental, South Pacific, Cajun, Appalathia or N.A. Indian/Eskimo cookbook as well...Poorer countries/regions, all parts of the animal except the oink/moo etc. was used...

Last edited by kev; 08-19-2010 at 07:55 PM..