Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 6,324 Times in 3,105 Posts

Advertise Here

Hey Zorba...my comment about not wanting presume to advise wasn't meant to be critical or even related to your post...just saying I didn't feel expert enough to sound of on that portion of the matter. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Crazy old man

Talking

When you think about buying guns you also need to think about ammo.IMHO you need 4 guns a handgun(my choice 45 cal.)shotgun( my choice mossburg 500) a semi auto(my choice AK47), then a larger caliber rifle( K98 mauser in .308) With each gun I have at least 1000 rnds per gun. Anytime you think about buying a gun, remember the ammo. Owning a gun is a great idea, owning a gun with lots of ammo is a better idea.:D
Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 PM

As many as you can afford... as long as they are thought out.

Try to limit the number of different calibers, and stock up on them.

For instance... I have had a 10/22 for awhile... found a cheap .22 single shot... then a .22 revolver... and then got a Ruger Mrk II for fairly cheap.

So... as a result, I have a solid setup of .22 caliber firearms, all bought for good prices.

I kind of have the same thing going on with 8mm Mauser, 9mm Luger, and .223.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Idaho Mountain Man

IMO, the best starter guns are these:

Ruger 10-22 w/4 power scope = about $200 - $225

Remington 870 12 gage = about $250

Marlin 336 30-30 = about $300

Ruger SP101 357 mag = about $300

Ruger New Model Single Six .22 LR with .22 Mag Cylinder (comes with it) = about $250 IIRC
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,821 Times in 3,566 Posts

22 -fer game gettin
MBR
pistol-personal defense
shotgun-fer game gettin and home defense
purchased in that order

i use a win 290-22,1911 springfield, 16ga browning,FN-223,AK,
Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM

A person could gather a large collection of firearms but for what end? IMHO I believe it would be more responsible to survey your surroundings, decide what type of SHTF scenarios you would most likely have to face and plan along those lines the type of firearms you would be most likely to employ.

SHTF scenarios could be common natural disasters such as earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods, large forest or grassland fires, etc... destroying homes and forcing evacuations. They could also be something more sinister like a terrorist attack on another urban enviroment causing wide spread panick and mayhem. The same holds true for riots and strikes of union workers among other scenarios that I know I haven't thought of.

This brings me back to my point regarding firearms. Where are you located? What are your provisions? What is your plan for survival? Are you bunkered down in an urban setting to sit through a long drawn out period where the potential exists for having to defend your position, your family and your supplies? Are you networked with friends and other survivalists in the area? or are you on your own? Do you have the means for getting to higher ground? Is your plan to get out of the city if you are facing TEOTWAWKI?

Is your fall back area in an urban terrain or out in a rural area with lots and lots of open ground, a large field of view and a ready supply of wildlife for dinner entree's? Can you transport all of the weapons that you have in your arsonal along with the ammunition to go with them?

The fewer firearms you have to purchase and maintain, the more ammunition you can afford to stockpile for those weapons. The fewer weapons that you need to cover all of your bases allows you to get more practice time with each one. Having an intimate knowledge of the tools that are designed to aid in your ability to survive seems like common sense to me. Why would you have a firearm that you never use, you never become proficient with and when SHTF you can't shoot?

I have a .40 Beretta and a Mossberg 835 Pump Action 12ga. I am in the market for a rifle but I am still researching, trying to decide what I want. I live on a farm 60 miles from the nearest metropolitan area and 9 miles from the nearest town. The homestead itself sits up on a bit of a hill overlooking the surrounding fields and being able to see for miles in every direction gives me an advantage that a long range rifle with a high powered scope would be perfect for. I could go out and buy up a massive collection of guns for short range shots but I have thousands of rounds through my mossberg and almost 800 rounds through my beretta. I need a rifle now that can put down a full grown buck at 800 yards.

In the event that I would have to get mobile none of my guns would have to be left behind and I will have my short and long range neccessities covered.

Just my .02 Thanks for reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Profitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I drink your milkshake!

My list of "must haves" looks something like this.

Glock 17 9mm
S&W 629 .44 Magnum
Desert Eagle .357 Magnum
Remington 870 XCS Marine w/ stock 18" barrel and 26" hunting barrel c/w full choke kit.
Remington 700 Bolt Action .308 WIN
M1 Garand 30-06
Ar-15 5.56x45mm
Ruger 10/22 carbine .22LR

I don't particularly see a need to limit oneself to just one, or this list in particular. This is just my fav's and would constitute the basics.

Edit* A colt .45 would be kinda cool too, oh, and a Valmet M-76
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 AM

Ya need about 5... of every kind
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 AM

I would start out with a Marlin 60 (after the service my first firearm purchase) or a Ruger 10/22 or any of the decent 22 rifles. They are relatively inexpensive to start out with and you can start building your ammo pile getting a box every payday.

By getting a 22 rifle and a brick of ammo, usually for under $250, you will start going to the range, you have to practice right? Once you start going to the range you will find that most gun people are a friendly lot and almost always willing to show you theirs if you show them yours. This will allow you to try before you buy. Also it's how I've gotten some of the best deals on used firearms.

How many guns you need depends on what you want to do with them, how much money you have and where you live. For me it's an AR with a 22lr kit, a 12 gauge and a Ruger 357 stainless with a 2+ inch barrel. (can't remember which model but I think it's a Speed Six. It's not a GP100 or an SP101.

Good luck
Steve 'Cityrepo61'
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

in all in all i think a person could just fine with one,but realy it aint near as much fun.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Hoodlum

1 Quality handgun of common caliber
1 Quality Shotgun of common caliber
1 Rifle of Common caliber
1 Quality made .22 (whatever you can take game with)
1 Quality made air rifle capable of taking small game.

Ammo for the above perhaps a few spare parts, Also don't get caught up in all the hype purchase what you can afford and are comfortable with IMO a $500.00 dollar gun and $500.00 worth of ammo are better than a $1000.00 gun with no ammo. (Argue that)

Remember this the more complicated the firearm the more things that can break or go wrong.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Battle rifle, pistol or revolver and the smoothbore.

As stated earlier, never underestimate the assertiveness in having a simple lever gun, revolver and a rimfire.

Either of the above three will work and for streamlining, share calibers.

TecRsq
North Ga.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 AM

One thing I think is really important is reliability and/or ease of repair.

In my mind, the the simpler the action is the less likely it will be to break and the easier it will be to replace/repair yourself.

I'm looking at a .22 bolt-action repeater, a .30-06 lever action, and a 12 gauge pump or single shot. Also, (in my case at least) I find that semi-auto weapons tend to make me more trigger-happy, which is a bad thing in a survival situation when I should be conserving ammo.

I live in a very rural area, so I really can't see any really good reason for my owning a pistol.

Last edited by Logoth; 05-06-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Moving parts to a new thread
Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNosofsky View Post
I don't own any guns and am looking to stock up in case I need to use one at some point when society collapses. How many guns do I need? Should they all be handguns and assault rifles, or do I need rifles too? Would love some advice.
My wife asks me all the time how many guns I need. I ask her how many pairs of shoes she needs.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 AM
(not a) One Man Army...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNosofsky View Post
I don't own any guns and am looking to stock up in case I need to use one at some point when society collapses. How many guns do I need? Should they all be handguns and assault rifles, or do I need rifles too? Would love some advice.
Ideally multiple complete systems and redundant for parts reasons
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Woman Hater

Thanked 1,411 Times in 489 Posts

I have the following.

9mm handgun
22LR handgun
.30-30 Marlin
.308 bolt

One doesn't need this many of course, but you're good to go with handgun and rifle.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
!

How ever many you want.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Getting there....

1 good center fire rifle you're comfortable with
1 good shotgun (preferably pump action)
1 good centerfire pistol
I'd recommend at least 300-500 rounds each for the rifle and pistol with at least 100 rounds of buckshot, 100 rounds of birdshot/light game load, and 25-50 slugs for the shotgun.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Trapper

1) Main Battle Rifle (e.g., AK-47)
2) Combat Handgun (e.g., Glock 23)
3) Defense Shotgun (e.g., Mossberg 500)

4) Rimfire Utility Rifle (e.g., Ruger 10/22)
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,409 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I've always said that funs are like shoes--a woman should have one in every caliber. Given that I don't have a fortune, there are several calibers that I don't have. I do agree that having guns that can serve dual purposes is a good idea. Given that, one of the guns that I bought was the Taurus 4410, AKA "The Judge". That little baby is a revolver that is a perfect home defense gun, as it takes both .45 long colt ammo as well as 410-gauge shotgun shells. Since it is a handgun, it can be used in close quarters where a long gun would be impractical. Loaded with field shot, it also makes a good "snake gun" for when I'm out in the woods. Since we've been having a black bear "visiting" for the last couple of years, it also makes me feel a little more comfortable when I take the dogs out to do their "business", as this bear has NO fear of humans or dogs, and he's probably tipping the scales at around 300 pounds.

For my regular hunting jaunts, I have a variety of guns, depending on what I'm hunting and the time of year (Here, we have an early "muzzleloader" season, when we can use an in-line for hunting antlerless deer--yeah, we have a doe seaon--then there is regular rifle season, and finally, a late season where you use "primitive" firearms...flintlock muzzleloaders) Then there's the main turkey season where you can use either rifles or shotguns, then "Spring gobbler" when it is shotguns and bearded birds only. And if you hunt pheasants, grouse, bear, elk, coyotes, etc., you have to adjust your firearms accordingly. Then there's the self defense firearms...well, you get the idea. Best advice is to decide what your primary purpose for a gun is, and buy one to suit that purpose first. Later, you can add others for your secondary purposes.