Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Hawkeye Alex's Avatar
Hawkeye Alex Hawkeye Alex is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 680
Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default Oar Fish In Japan Announce Earthquake Coming ?



Advertise Here

Oarfish Omen Spells Earthquake Disaster For Japan
Displaying all 24 posts.Ray Joseph Cormier The mythical sea serpent is washing up on Japanese shores terrifying the population.

This rash of tectonic movements around the Pacific "Rim of Fire" is heightening concern that Japan - the most earthquake-prone country in the world - is next in line for a major earthquake.Those concerns have been stoked by the unexplained appearance of a fish that is known traditionally as the Messenger from the Sea God's Palace.

The giant oarfish can grow up to five metres in length and is usually to be found at depths of 1,000 metres and very rarely above 200 metres from the surface. Long and slender with a dorsal fin the length of its body, the oarfish resembles a snake.

In recent weeks, 10 specimens have been found either washed ashore or in fishing nets off Ishikawa Prefecture, half-a-dozen have been caught in nets off Toyama Prefecture and others have been reported in Kyoto, Shimane and Nagasaki prefectures, all on the northern coast.

According to traditional Japanese lore, the fish rise to the surface and beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake - and there are scientific theories that bottom-dwelling fish may very well be susceptible to movements in seismic fault lines and act in uncharacteristic ways in advance of an earthquake - but experts here are placing more faith in their constant high-tech monitoring of the tectonic plates beneath the surface.

"In ancient times Japanese people believed that fish warned of coming earthquakes, particularly catfish," Hiroshi Tajihi, deputy director of the Kobe Earthquake Centre, told the Daily Telegraph.

"But these are just old superstitions and there is no scientific relationship between these sightings and an earthquake," he said

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread548703/pg1
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye Alex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
lonewolf917 lonewolf917 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 21
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

yeah right "just old superstitions" like herbal remidies where as big Pharma is really protecting us
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
querulous's Avatar
querulous querulous is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 3,898
Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Alex View Post
Oarfish Omen Spells Earthquake Disaster For Japan
Displaying all 24 posts.Ray Joseph Cormier The mythical sea serpent is washing up on Japanese shores terrifying the population.

This rash of tectonic movements around the Pacific "Rim of Fire" is heightening concern that Japan - the most earthquake-prone country in the world - is next in line for a major earthquake.Those concerns have been stoked by the unexplained appearance of a fish that is known traditionally as the Messenger from the Sea God's Palace.

The giant oarfish can grow up to five metres in length and is usually to be found at depths of 1,000 metres and very rarely above 200 metres from the surface. Long and slender with a dorsal fin the length of its body, the oarfish resembles a snake.

In recent weeks, 10 specimens have been found either washed ashore or in fishing nets off Ishikawa Prefecture, half-a-dozen have been caught in nets off Toyama Prefecture and others have been reported in Kyoto, Shimane and Nagasaki prefectures, all on the northern coast.

According to traditional Japanese lore, the fish rise to the surface and beach themselves to warn of an impending earthquake - and there are scientific theories that bottom-dwelling fish may very well be susceptible to movements in seismic fault lines and act in uncharacteristic ways in advance of an earthquake - but experts here are placing more faith in their constant high-tech monitoring of the tectonic plates beneath the surface.

"In ancient times Japanese people believed that fish warned of coming earthquakes, particularly catfish," Hiroshi Tajihi, deputy director of the Kobe Earthquake Centre, told the Daily Telegraph.

"But these are just old superstitions and there is no scientific relationship between these sightings and an earthquake," he said

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread548703/pg1
certainly gives me pause.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
fcb98292's Avatar
fcb98292 fcb98292 is offline
Left SB 2/28/2010 :)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA state
Posts: 638
Thanks: 195
Thanked 620 Times in 266 Posts
Default

Each large earthquake takes me to my favorites to look at prep specials...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Hawkeye Alex's Avatar
Hawkeye Alex Hawkeye Alex is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 680
Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default

Oarfishes Look like sea serpents.
Attached Thumbnails
Oarfish.jpg   oarfish93.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye Alex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
TNPetite.45's Avatar
TNPetite.45 TNPetite.45 is offline
The Power of III
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West TN
Posts: 1,365
Thanks: 1,906
Thanked 1,500 Times in 653 Posts
Default

Sushi! Seriously - those are some big fish and it does make you stop to think. But are they edible?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
crankyfarmer's Avatar
crankyfarmer crankyfarmer is offline
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beautiful Montana
Posts: 3,077
Thanks: 750
Thanked 4,829 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default

That's one cool fish! Is there an Earthquake betting pool? Seems like a good time to place a bet.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
FarmerJohn FarmerJohn is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,302
Thanks: 6,762
Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts
Default

I wouldnt care getting one of those on the line would be an epic fight I would love to reel in that bad boy
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
roro's Avatar
roro roro is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 1,287
Thanked 1,049 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPetite.45 View Post
Sushi! Seriously - those are some big fish and it does make you stop to think. But are they edible?
people have eaten them & said the flesh is not very tasty & that it is very gelatinous (due to the depth that it lives).


Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
I wouldnt care getting one of those on the line would be an epic fight I would love to reel in that bad boy
you'd have to have a really, really long fishing line. lol

whenever they come up to surface, they are looking for a place to die & they kill themselves by thrashing on rocks... so i doubt that if you happened to see one, that it would be looking for food.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Rascal123's Avatar
Rascal123 Rascal123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 217
Thanks: 264
Thanked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Default

That is a big a$$ fish!! I don't know, a couple hundred years ago if several of those washed up on a shore near me, I'd probably freak out too. :-)
Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Hawkeye Alex's Avatar
Hawkeye Alex Hawkeye Alex is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 680
Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default

Maybe those are the Famous Leviathans ?
They have no teeth so they are not predatory fish, won't bite the line bait, They feed on plankton.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
largewhiteguy's Avatar
largewhiteguy largewhiteguy is offline
Keeping my Oath.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 337
Thanks: 60
Thanked 243 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Alex View Post
Oarfishes Look like sea serpents.
wow those look like they might be good eating...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
th3boy's Avatar
th3boy th3boy is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At the tree line
Posts: 706
Thanks: 718
Thanked 535 Times in 295 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyfarmer View Post
That's one cool fish! Is there an Earthquake betting pool? Seems like a good time to place a bet.
Wow, thats not cool. You start betting and the next quakes gonna come up right under you, thats just not classy.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Hawkeye Alex's Avatar
Hawkeye Alex Hawkeye Alex is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 680
Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 4.8
Date-Time Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 00:15:57 UTC
Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 09:15:57 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 25.921N, 128.474E
Depth 29.7 km (18.5 miles)
Region RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN
Distances 85 km (55 miles) ESE of Naha, Okinawa, Japan
460 km (285 miles) ENE of Ishigaki-jima, Ryukyu Islands, Japan
660 km (410 miles) SSW of Kagoshima, Kyushu, Japan
1530 km (950 miles) SW of TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 25.2 km (15.7 miles); depth +/- 9.6 km (6.0 miles)
Parameters NST= 17, Nph= 17, Dmin=728 km, Rmss=1.01 sec, Gp=137,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)


Event ID us2010uyaf

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net