Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,778 Times in 872 Posts
Default Canning Pico de gallo / Fresh Salsa

Advertise Here

I make a Pico De Gallo that we really like and got to thinking about canning. Pico de gallo is an uncooked salsa with tomatoes, jalapeņos, habanero, onions, green, red, yellow peppers, cilantro and lime. We thought we would try canning some. Heating the jars with the Pico De Gallo did not alter the texture or flavor much. My next concern is that since it is uncooked there is not alot of fluid /juices, so that some of the jars had air bubbles or pockets. Should that be a matter of concern?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,408 Posts

As a general rule, vegetables should usually only be canned in a pressure canner. You can add a tablespoon of lemon juice to each pint jar (or 2 tablespoons for quart jars) to increase the acidity enough to use a water-bath canner.

If memory serves, processing time is 35 minutes in a water bath (with lemon juice) or 20 minutes in a pressure canner at 5lbs (pint jars)

I've canned lots of salsa but never Pico de Gallo. I've heard it usually doesn't turn out well, what you end up with is salsa when it's done cooking. If it's still "crispy" and fresh in texture you probably didn't process it long enough. Tomatoes, onions, peppers usually get pretty soft as part of the canning process.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,778 Times in 872 Posts

An update for those interested. After adding some lime / lemon juice, we gave our Pico De Gallo a water bath for about ten minutes long enough to assure a good seal. Canning only those jars that had enough juices to fill the jar. It has been about a year now and the Pico De Gallo still has a bit of crispiness and fresh tasting, it retained great flavor. Not as crisp as freshly made Pico De Gallo but not salsa or sauce by any means. A decent condiment for those winter rice and beans or Christmas tamales. Try it it may be just what you need to spice up those stores.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Prepared

Thanks for posting back on this LongRider. I love pico de gallo but would have been hesitant to can it. Its good to hear that it cans okay so I can think about canning some up this fall. And yes, it would be a very good addition to plain old beans and rice mmmm I want some now.