Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Trapper

Default Question How to start an Ammo Company

Advertise Here

Hi everyone I was just looking on the net and I guess Im not looking in the right places. I wanted to see how to go about starting an ammo production company. Also where to find the machines to do this. I would take any and all help and info I can get on this. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,548 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I have myself been looking in to this.

Due to the facility needed to store that much bulk powder and primers, and the fees and such I have decided against it.

For reloader I was look at http://www.camdexloader.com/ They start at about 10,000 and go up from there. These are the same type of machines that man manufactures use now.
here are some more http://www.ammoload.com/

Last edited by Beaterar; 04-05-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Trapper

Hey thanks I will look into that. How do I find the regulations on doing this and what I would need and how to store all this. I was concerned with fire and all the powder.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Son Of Liberty

Awards Showcase

There are some companies that use Dillon 1050 machines as well, these are generally high end small volume companies. Startup cost to get going with one of these is about 2,000 bucks. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...d/1/Super_1050
This is what ill be upgrading to later this year, production is about 100-1200 rounds and hour.

You will need to first check your local government and find out the regulations they have as well as obtaining a business license from them. You will need to contact th Federal authorities and find any of there regulations. The best thing I could tell you is hire a business lawyer to help you out. Each area has different laws and regulation, as well as certain permits that must be procured, cover your butt!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Trapper

wow so much to learn about this. I have never done re-loading and think I need to do more research on all this. I dont think it would be hard to learn just a lot to take in. I see re-loading books at the book store all the time.

Thanks for the link to the machine looks like something that would be a good start. I want to do this for retail making and selling.

Do you know of machines that are better at doing this and also a good place to learn about re-loading and loading. Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Son Of Liberty

Awards Showcase

Reloading is both a skill and an art in many cases. If you were to get in to this I would suggest a partner , or begin reloading for yourself to gain the first hand knowledge of the operations.

Its not cheap to get started, If I were to do this the first thing I would do is read a basic reloading manual. It will have most of th information you need as well as the blue prints of each round when completed from the seating depth to the powder charge. You will need testing tools such as a chronograph , and the basic tools to reload. You will need high volume powder supplier , high volume projectile suppliers , High volume primer suppliers, High volume Case suppliers.

If I were to start off, I would get a Dillon 1050 reloader. start from there and work your way up.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Trapper

hey does that mean that us survivalist boards members get a discount on ammo ...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Trapper

Well im looking at doing to start with the AK-47s 7.62x39 and then on to other cals. I really got tired of not being able to find ammo for my AK and just thought maybe I could get in and do this and hit a market with a good product. Im not sure of what my cost will be yet or I can do it from a home shop and sell or what all I will have to do yet. Im just in the researching phase of it right now.

If I do a retail store first I might have to have help in doing it. I will also want to sell fire arms if I do a retail shop. I just need to find a good place for loading suplies and so far the machines I have been given is the same on all the boards I have posted. The one listed above says 1000-1200 rounds an hour and I have been going over in my head how (when I get fast) many I could do in a weeks run.

I do think there is a lot of ammo that needs to be produced for a good price im not sure that can be done. I know I will never see AK ammo at 1.99 a box again but at the same time when you go to order ammo at the higher price most places are on back order and I thought well this is were I could come in.

My board mates stay tuned and I will see what I can do.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Trapper

Hi everyone I'm back to looking at doing this now that I think I can get something going.

So what cals are in high demand right now?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
bring the pain

Thanked 2,865 Times in 638 Posts

7.62 x 51
7.62x39
9mm
45 acp
Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Target Shooter

Like Beaterar suggests I would start by looking into Camdex and Ammoload. I have heard from several sources that if you are going to have a high volume operation the Camdex unit is better than the Ammoload. One of the main reasons is that it is cheaper to switch to different cartridges with the Camdex machines. I have heard Ammoload runs about $3,000 or more to switch to a different cartridge type.

Beaterar also suggests the Dillon 1050, which is a great machine. You can even motorize the Dillon 1050s with parts from Ponsness-Warren. www.reloaders.com A couple of these setups might be a good way to get started depending on your budget. I have access to a couple of these to help keep myself and some of my high-volume shooter friends from going broke.

Although I have no experience with them, MikeK recommended an account at Black Hills Shooter's Supply to me a while back. They sell reloading supplies wholesale to businesses. www.bhshooters.com

Donít forget government surplus brass, they sell it literally by the ton www.govliquidation.com

While we are talking about the government, you will at the least need a Type 6 FFL to be a licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components. Of course there might be other local regulations in your area.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Hiker

Dont overlook the massive liability insurance you need !!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Wire Guided

You will need an FFL 06.