Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Prepared

Default issues with SKS cycling? Mainly ejecting spent shells

Advertise Here

I have had some recent issues with my SKS stovepiping when it ejects shells. It usually is allready loading the next round, with the spent round caught in the closing bolt. Any suggestions? I have been using non-corrosive ammo, and I clean my gun religiously anyway. I am pretty familiar with all of the gun and disassembly, other than working on the trigger group much (have had it out cleaning it). Should I be looking at my gas cylinder rod or something along that line?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM

A bud of mine had the same problem when he first got his SKS. He had his recoil spring in backwards. When reassembling make sure the curved squiggly end is inserted first.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Boolit Master

What kind of SKS do you have,what brand name of ammo are you shooting in it when it stovepipes or does it make any difference what brand,also did you clean the gas port hole in the gas block?

Yugo SKS rifles generally give most of the problem with cycling issue because of the gas valve,even one that looks to be in mint condition can have just enough wear on it to allow enough gas leak to cause total failure to eject or stovepipe. Sometime you can just have some bad ammo also,Wolf has been the only ammo I have run across that will cause this when all other ammo functioned fine.

If you know that your rifle is assembled correctly and it has just recently started doing this with an ammo change I would suspect the ammo,if it's doing it with multiple brands then it's probably some wear on your gas valve or inside the gas tube when the nipple of the valve fits into it allow excessive gas bleed off and not cycling the rifle correctly. There is a simple quick fix to determine this if you have one of the Yugo's sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0 if the paper clip fix works then you need a new gas valve http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

Last edited by kev; 03-30-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Recent Blog:
The Postman

Thanked 1,249 Times in 375 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing. I field stripped it, pulled out the gas tube, gave it a good cleaning, reassembled - Fixed. Give that a try.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,259 Times in 30,530 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If you're sure that you have the recoil spring in properly, then the next thing I'd suggest is to clean the gas port thoroughly. It sounds like the bolt carrier isn't getting enough rearward velocity and that's almost always caused by a gas system problem. Run the carbon scraper in the port a few times. Or if it's a Yugo, check the gas valve for leaks. You might look up the paper clip trick for the Yugo gas valve. It's a quick and easy solution to a common problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Prepared

Default SKS

Mine isn't a Yugo, it is a Chinese police model that came with the factory 20 round magazine. I have had the gas piston and rod out and cleaned it, though I have thought about replacing it. Ammunition is Wolf... I have been slowly building this carbine, and have not actually fired it extensively yet. We have used this ammo in quite a few SKS's with no issues. I don't have a carbon scraper... should I be looking for one?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Boolit Master

If your SKS has the buttstock cleaning kit still,there should be one in it looks like a punch you just use it to clean out the gas port hole in the gas block. If not a pipe cleaner dipped in any good bore cleaner and run through the hole will work as well.

Couple of other things make sure you clean the chamber well not just the bore,does you gas tube fit tight with not much front to back slop. You mentioned building this carbine what exactly have you done to it so far as parts replacement and is it an all matching parts rifle.

Try some different ammo and see if you get the same result,I had one SKS that would eject Wolf but worked fine with everything else.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Prepared

Default SKS

Mine doesn't have the cleaning kit.. I have never checked the numbers, and the gun is an hour away from me right now. I have cleaned the port with a pipe cleaner, and the cylinder with a bore brush. I have cleaned the chamber area... not sure about what is acceptable play in the gas tube? Do you mean the tube fitting the gun, or the piston/rod in the tube? As far as building the gun, it mainly consists of recoil buffer, Choates scope mount, and converting to removable Tapco magazines. This is more or less a brush gun for me to hunt with out to 100 yards or so, though I feel when I get it to feed smoothly I may be able to take it out to 150-200 using the bullet drop compensation on the scope. I will check the recoil spring when I am back at my house in the country... I have always laid my parts out as I disassemble and reassemble the carbine, but it could be that the previous owner installed it backwards.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Boolit Master

Try it without the recoil buffer if the spring is in correctly and put some good gun grease on the recoil spring rod and see if it makes a difference,sometime the buffer can cause the recoil spring to pinch up and short stroke the bolt because the buffer will add presser to the spring coils,and pick up a box of some other brand of ammo and test it both ways,sometimes you just get a weak lot of ammo. As far as the gas tube fit I meant does it move any from front to back once you have it in place,it should fit snug up agents the gas block once it's locked down.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Prepared

Default SKS

I didn't see this until after I went to my other house for the weekend... I did check the recoil spring, and it was correct. I fired around 30 rounds, and it stovepiped twice. I was using my 20 round clips, each loaded to 15 rounds. I will pull the recoil buffer out next weekend... I do believe it may be short-stroking, could I possibly need a new gas piston? I did remove it, cleaned the port into the barrel (both were already very clean). Any other suggestions for this weekend other than removing the buffer and oiling the recoil spring? What type of oil would you recommend? I work on cars, so I have quite a selection of different lubricants, as well as normal gun oils.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codycr6 View Post
I didn't see this until after I went to my other house for the weekend... I did check the recoil spring, and it was correct. I fired around 30 rounds, and it stovepiped twice. I was using my 20 round clips, each loaded to 15 rounds. I will pull the recoil buffer out next weekend... I do believe it may be short-stroking, could I possibly need a new gas piston? I did remove it, cleaned the port into the barrel (both were already very clean). Any other suggestions for this weekend other than removing the buffer and oiling the recoil spring? What type of oil would you recommend? I work on cars, so I have quite a selection of different lubricants, as well as normal gun oils.
I have read over on the SKS boards that the recoil buffers will cause this problem as it sends the bolt back forward before the spent shell has a chance to get out of the way. I would try that next.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

One other thing may be the chamber fouling. Purchase a 45 cal brush. Put some hoppe's #9 on it and clean the chamber a bit. A dirty chamber will be tougher to pull the spent cases out; and slowing down the bolt velocity in the process.

I personally use mobil #1 oil on the bolt faces on my SKS rifles. I really don't think it's your 20 round magazine.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Read Books

Thanked 8,197 Times in 3,195 Posts

Never had a problem with my Norinco. It seems from other SKS users feed/stovepiping problems come from the gas adjustment on the Yugos, or if they've bubberized it. Have you gone to nylon stock or detatchable mags?