Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Firepower vs capacity

Advertise Here

So im looking at getting my first hand gun and havent narrowed it down to any certain ones yet, but was looking at getting peoples opinion.

when buying a handgun say you have 2 guns to choose from they are the same gun but one is chambered in .45 and holds 8 rounds, and the other is in 9mm but holds 15 rounds which one do you choose.

im kind of new to firearms so sorry if this is a weird question
Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy13 View Post
So im looking at getting my first hand gun and havent narrowed it down to any certain ones yet, but was looking at getting peoples opinion.

when buying a handgun say you have 2 guns to choose from they are the same gun but one is chambered in .45 and holds 8 rounds, and the other is in 9mm but holds 15 rounds which one do you choose.

im kind of new to firearms so sorry if this is a weird question
15x124grain +p hollow point 9mm all the way, all the time.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,372 Times in 861 Posts

No question is weird. The choice is personal though. Will you only buy commercially loaded ammo...or reload? .45 acp is a lot more expensive to purchase commercially loaded than 9mm. More ammo means more practice...more practice means more proficiency. When I competed in practical pistol shoots...I was going thru 1000 rounds of .45 acp a week. Of course these were reloads with cast bullets. I could never have afforded jacketed factory loads at that rate of practice. Try several different weapons..then figure what you can afford to shoot more. I wouldn't let caliber alone sway you.
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

i forgot to add why would you choose what you did
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy13 View Post
i forgot to add why would you choose what you did
Because you can forget the myth of larger automatically equaling better.
9mm/.40/.45 all plenty effective.
Actual force released into target from smaller round traveling faster and larger round traveling slower are all in same general ballpark. Best is a large round traveling very fast, but you're talking rifle caliber ballistics then.

9mm has many advantages: cheaper, quicker recovery back on target, and capacity could be critically important.

I split the difference between concealment and capacity with 13+1 XD Sub Compact, with 16 round spare. I COULD carry my Ruger SP101, or my Kahr PM9, but wound up just not feeling comfy with 5 rounds of .357mag or 6+1 of 9mm.

But carry whatever you like for whatever reasons make you feel secure.
Many carry something they find aesthetically pleasing, but I only consider my XD a practical survival tool in the daily jungle.

- OS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Prepared

Well, it all depends if you know how to shoot or not.

In the hands of somebody who knows how to use it, a 6rd mouse 32acp Walther can beat a 19rd 9mm in the hands of someone who is just wildly putting shots all over the place. People who think they need a 15+ rd gun for carry or a hi cap rifle for home defense must play too many video games. This is personal protection, no a war. If you think about it, most defensive situations can be ended in one fairly well placed shot... but you should still practice double and triple taps since ammo is cheap and life is expensive. Always remember that comfort and proficiency with the weapon are #1 in determining if it will save your life someday, and calibur or capacity is a much lower priority concerns.

Since you are admittedly new, it's clear you will be a novice at handling, firing, aiming, etc. Nobody's "a natural," and even those who have high level skills didn't start that way. Get a handgun with good sights, an affordable cartridge, and reliable operation. Then search around, ask around, and take a good handgun shooting course. Finally, put a few thousand rounds through your firearm to polish the techniques you learn in your course. Shooting sports are very old, so the "expert" tactics and top marksman shooters are simply doing the basics - but doing them almost flawlessly. Target acquisition and aim/shoot motions are just muscle memory: first, go slowly to ensure accuracy, then do them faster and faster until it's basically a trained reaction. However, you have to slow down again if your accuracy suffers. It doesn't happen overnight.

A 45acp is way too expensive to be learning with, and it also has a bit too much kick for most beginner shooters. A 22LR would be the cheapest to learn with, but are just a range gun and have basically zero actual self defense, CCW, etc value. Your best bet is to get a decent 9mm and a couple mags if you like pistols; with +P JHP ammo, the 9 will also be fairly servicable for defense. IMO, a 6rd tough-as-nails 357 revolver like a Ruger or S&W is the best choice (if you're a revolver man). That'd gives the most bang for your buck: cheap and widely available ammo option (38sp), powerful ammo option (357mag), very simple operation, easy cleaning, few or no additional accessory purchases needed, and a virtually indestructable gun to last lifetimes - all in the same purchase.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,585 Posts
Thumbs down this topic has NEVER been discussed

another 9mm -vs- .45 thread...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,595 Posts

The advancements in ballistics technology made the difference in terminal performance marginal, at best. I would go with the 9. However, for self-defense, make sure to load it with the best ammo on the market. Right now it is 124 gr +P from Speer, Winchester Ranger T(bonded and non-bonded), Golden Saber(bonded) just to name a few.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 AM

Firepower vs Capacity...hmm thats a tough one. I will take accuracy. Which ever one you can shoot more accurately id go with that one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AwakenedAlaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,467 Posts

Quote:
you have 2 guns to choose from they are the same gun but one is chambered in .45 and holds 8 rounds, and the other is in 9mm but holds 15 rounds which one do you choose.
Are you looking at the Springfield XD's?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Are you looking at the Springfield XD's?
Sounds like Glock or other, since he mentioned 15 rounds.
XDs are 13,16,19 in 9mm.

- OS
Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 AM

If possible, test them both out and see which one you feel more comfortable shooting. At the end of the day, your comfort with the gun will make a far bigger difference than the inherent stopping power of the round, as .45, though more effective than 9mm, isn't so incredibly more effective to offset personal comfort.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,408 Posts

Go with a .40S&W, perfect compromise between them both. Better firepower than a 9mm, better capacity than a .45ACP
Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 20,462 Times in 6,950 Posts

It's not really firepower versus capacity. It IS about accuracy of fire. For most shooters the 9 mm round is more accurate to use, espcially when under stress. This is why various CQB units like Navy SEALS, Special Forces Hostage Rescue, Rangers, paratroopers, FBI Hostage Rescue and so on use various 9 mm pistols. The Sig Sauer P-226 pistols are used by a number of these groups for close-in combat where they generally do two to the chest and one to the head. As has been told to you, 9 mm ammo is a bit cheaper to buy and does allow for more practice sessions which is where you hone your accuracy over time.

On the other side of the coin is that there are some SWAT teams that have gone to the .45 caliber pistols for their hostage rescue work. LAPD, Texas Rangers and other state and local lawmen will use their .45 pistols because they prefer them over the small diameter round. The key is still how well can you hit with what you carry?

My suggestion is to consider going with a 9 mm pistol (high capacity) for your first good pistol and practice as often as you can. Once you're really, really good with the 9 mm then go with a .45 you like.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,358 Posts

well, if you can't shoot and won't practice much, go with the crack-9. You will need 15 shots.

Quantity vs quality.

I carry a 45. 7rds x 3 mags, 21rounds/15x3=45. If you need 45 rounds, you better have a rifle.

flame away.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM

i didnt have any specific gun in mind, and i was just using the 9 and .45 as an example really it could be any caliber or gun or capacity difference i was just using those numbers. its more about do you choose a gun cuz you can shoot more or because its got more bang.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Bad Guy

Capacity is firepower.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guerilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM

you need only one bullet.Most secret service's use 22 LR
The Following User Says Thank You to 2act For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Hunter

if only one? Id choose 9mm.

It will get the job done.

More practice because of the cost.
Higher capacity and faster follow up shots
Some nasty modern ammunition options
Easier to control/more pleasant to shoot (again more practice)

with that said

I now will be carrying 40sw or 45acp....mainly because in the subcompact size of the guns i am chosing, i am not really sacrificing much in the way of capacity with the specific models. (10+1 45acp in Taurus pt145 with a spare mag, and 9+1 40sw in Glock 27 with a 15 round backup mag)
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Prepared

The "correct answer" is "what you prefer".

Personally I prefer big and slow. My two carry handguns are .45ACP and .357 mag. My rifles are 7.62x39 and .308.

My son, a US Marine, prefers fast and small. His handgun is a .40 and his rifle is .223.

Once YOU find something YOU like then the question becomes answered. I don't want to get shot by a .45, 9mm, .50 cal, or a .22, regardless of any online debate.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamalama For This Useful Post: