Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > New Member Introduction > Events, Connections and Get togethers
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Default Calling all South Carolina Preppers

Advertise Here

I need some recommendations from my fellow South Carolinians on good locations in our state for a survival retreat. Something remote, away from major roadways and urban areas. I've only lived here 4 years near the coast but would like to move into the country. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

Bomber Island in Lake Murray ... some friends and I could do the ferrying out to the island from the Billy Dreher parking lot.

Depending upon the time of year and the number of campers, I've got access to some property up around the Darlington area we could probably use ... on a river among a grove of birches.

Come to think of it, I have another piece of property we could use too I suppose, provided everyone would agree to help me clean up the place afterwards.

And there is an excellent camp ground we could use down on the Santee Cooper ... especially if anyone want to do some fishing during the trip or run into Charleston or something along those lines.

There are some other places too.

How many do you think will attend and when are you planning to make it happen?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks Gallo Pazzesco but what I'm looking for in S.C. is someplace to relocate to. Some land I can buy to build on.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Geronimo!

Oh, gotcha. Okay. Well, that's fairly varied.

A lot depends on where you are located now.

My family and I chose our retreat (summer cabin) to be right on the SC/NC border in the mountains near Tryon. Many Sandlappers are in the foothills up in the Liberty, Pickens, Clemson area of the state some even as far west as near the Georgia border ... although a lot of that land up there is owned by Duke Power - they recently deeded over quite a bit to the state.

Some prefer the lowcountry and areas down around Conway or even farther south down around Yamasee, et al.

Most steer away from the nuclear areas like Barnwell, Newberry, etc.

You've got a lot to choose from and a lot depends on how much money you intend to spend, etc.

It's a tough question to help you with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info. It gives me some places to start looking into. I live in the low country n/o Savannah GA. I need to figure out if I want to go North toward the mountains or NW toward the Aiken area.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Tops!

I like the area around Pickens and Oconee County. It is pretty remote. Northern Greenville County up close to the NC border is great too but expensive. The best land deals I've seen are around Laurens County. That runs $5000 -$10,000 per acre.

I've got a link that gives me access to the entire MLS for the Upstate. It's a realtors link from a guy I used to use. You may be able to find a good link online. I don't want to post it here because they don't know I use it. I don't want everyone flooding it and have it cut off. PM me and I'll send it to you if you are serious about buying something.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildmandan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPSPEED View Post
Thanks for the info. It gives me some places to start looking into. I live in the low country n/o Savannah GA. I need to figure out if I want to go North toward the mountains or NW toward the Aiken area.
So you are already around Yamasee, etc. You just need to learn the skip-over routes that circumvent having to go I-95 over to I-26 in order to get into the foothills ... which means you would have to head towards Orangeburg/Swansea and then over to I-20 and from there it's easy to go the back ways up into Oconee and Pickens county, but you would want to steer clear of the Aiken/Barnwell area shtf because that is where the bomb plant is located, where all the nuclear material for our bombs and nuclear plants is produced ...

With regards to the Oconee/Pickens - the land up there is very expensive and it is becoming quite crowded in a lot of areas. I'd probably look more over towards Traveler's Rest north of 25 in that area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Brother, the best place I've found around our state is the Table-Rock area. A person could completely disappear in those mountains. And it's close to many populated areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tikijim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 AM

There are a lot of wooded, sparsely populated areas in the upstate area. Black Mountain, NC is just over the border and where William Fortschen's excellent book, One Second After, takes place.

I'd try to locate outside of smaller towns, like Campobello, Blacksburg, Greycourt, Landrum, etc. A lot of SC's smaller cities have all of the same crimes and demographics as the bigger ones, just on a smaller scale, and that part of the population will be desperate and looking for a free lunch if Uncle Sam falls asleep at the wheel.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Lancaster Co, Chesterfield county, Kershaw County,... Lots of places around here to hide from the world! Love the country life!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama_J For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Newberry, Greenwood, Pickens like someone mentioned... also somewhere really out there- Starr Iva.
The Following User Says Thank You to killroy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I like the area you are at myself. Hiding in the swamps wouldn't be as cold as the mountains, but that is me. I am in Chester County right now but am also thinking of going east from here just short of I-95 in the Florence to Dillion area is somewhere I am looking also.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPSPEED View Post
What are your specific reasons for departing the Lowcountry? Is it the population, or something else? One of the features I like about being down here is the abundant, free food in the marshes and tidal rivers - blue crab, oysters, shrimp. This kind of food is a quiet hunt and ammo-free (no alerting the neighbors). You don't have to own serious cold-weather gear down here. Need plenty of Deep Woods Off for the summers, but I'd rather have the bugs than the ice & snow.

What are your thoughts on the Lowcountry?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Exactly, Island Girl. Cold means more fuel and food needed to survive the 7 months a year. Saltwater feeds year round and doesn't require a gun (at least not for the harvesting itself).
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 PM

BTW, are there any prepper events around here or in SC?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,011 Times in 437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl View Post
What are your specific reasons for departing the Lowcountry? Is it the population, or something else? One of the features I like about being down here is the abundant, free food in the marshes and tidal rivers - blue crab, oysters, shrimp. This kind of food is a quiet hunt and ammo-free (no alerting the neighbors). You don't have to own serious cold-weather gear down here. Need plenty of Deep Woods Off for the summers, but I'd rather have the bugs than the ice & snow.

What are your thoughts on the Lowcountry?
I am curious on the Lowcountry thoughts as well. I just bought property on a tidal marsh for the reasons Island Girl mentioned.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,011 Times in 437 Posts

Waterbug, there is one coming up in Columbia and a camping one in Anderson in the coming months. I'll be darned if I can find the dates at this moment-ugh.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
first class white trash

Thanked 1,359 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBug View Post
there is a prepper conference in march in columbia, and one in black mountain, nc (hosted by carolina readiness supply). cant remember the exact dates, though. you should be able to google them.

as far as locale, i like union, pickens, and oconee counties. my bol is in union county.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBug View Post
Hi WaterBug, are you in coastal GA? I'm looking for events (or a group) around here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppinMouse View Post
I am curious on the Lowcountry thoughts as well. I just bought property on a tidal marsh for the reasons Island Girl mentioned.
Hi PreppinMouse, that's great that you own coastal property. My ideal would be to have a dock on deep enough water to have a boat docked right in my backyard. I think that a boat would be the ultimate bug-out vehicle - No highways to travel. Not only that, but owning a boat is a means to feed yourself (via shrimping nets, fishing gear, etc.) Besides eating the shrimp & fish, shrimping + fishing also = BAIT to catch blue crabs, bigger fish, etc....it's a self-sustaining way to eat.

I don't know of a single prepping soul on the marshes. I'd like to find a group to prep with, develop skills with, etc.