Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts
Default Raising fish in a barrel

Advertise Here

I haven't seen any mention about this before, but I think it would be relatively easy to raise fish in a barrel to eating size and combine it with aquaponic gardening
http://www.webofcreation.org/green-c...an-aquaculture

http://www.isdsi.org/2010/02/fish/

http://www.redbayfarm.com/Voting.html

Of course, you'd have to have a good source of water...but some have that in abundance.

What do you think?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Survivor

Here's a video on aquaculture itself:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Noz7777#p/a/f/2/CU9x_W9X-tM
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Good news everyone

My Dad had a large concrete box he made probably 4'x4'x3' that was for our spring water. When we were piped city water, we used it to raise fish in. We fed them dry dog food and they got pretty big.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davmatt74 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Geezer In Training

This is a link to the FAST website, where Travis Hughey has developed an awesome aquaponics system he calls barrel-ponics... this page is the area to download his manual for free... The manual gives step by step instructions on how to build the system...

http://www.fastonline.org/content/view/15/29/

Karl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OKGlocker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,910 Times in 2,796 Posts

I had this in my my subscribed threads because it is one of the things I am thinking very seriously about doing.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=9052

Thanks for the links ... one can never have too much information.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,044 Times in 464 Posts

i think it's a great idea.

raising fish is one of the things my wife and i talked about doing if/when things get really really really bad. we figure tilapia or catfish should be pretty easy to raise. an above ground pool, an aerator of some type, a heater of some type for the winters, and we got sustainable food.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke

Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,382 Posts

Make sure you blow bubbles in the water so they don't die
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,300 Times in 28,562 Posts

Years back I saw an interesting setup. They raised fish in barrels and fed them worms they raised on food and garden scraps. The worm castings went into the garden, along with some of the water from the barrels when they refreshed it. They also had a methane digester that ran on animal and human waste. The digested waste went into the garden also. All around it was about as close to a self sustaining ecosystem as I've seen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,910 Times in 2,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Years back I saw an interesting setup. They raised fish in barrels and fed them worms they raised on food and garden scraps. The worm castings went into the garden, along with some of the water from the barrels when they refreshed it. They also had a methane digester that ran on animal and human waste. The digested waste went into the garden also. All around it was about as close to a self sustaining ecosystem as I've seen.
This is what I would like to shoot for. However, I figure I will have it up and running properly just in time for Obama to tell me I am too old to be of any further benefit to society and ship me off to the old folks' euthansia center.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll bring the rope.

Thanked 2,142 Times in 739 Posts
Default What a coincidence of timing:

I am refurbing my backyard pond right now. It is unlined, and the previous owners did not maintain it. Thus, it was full of debris, and the poor little fish only had about 6 inches of water in which to frolic.

I am planning on raising fish to eat; I was settled on carp, as they are hardy and can live in turbid water, but I'll ultimately go with whatever species works best for my scenario.

When all is said and done, it will be about 3 feet deep, which does not sound like a lot of depth, but is the minimum required for koi, which are a form of carp. Lemme tell ya: moving all that dirt, mud, and clay to get to three feet is either gonna kill you or make you very strong and sinewy. I hope to get to the sinewy stage before it kills me!

PS: I have not told the wife of my true plans. Officially, the pond is meant to hold goldfish.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,549 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Buried My Guns View Post
I am refurbing my backyard pond right now. It is unlined, and the previous owners did not maintain it. Thus, it was full of debris, and the poor little fish only had about 6 inches of water in which to frolic.

I am planning on raising fish to eat; I was settled on carp, as they are hardy and can live in turbid water, but I'll ultimately go with whatever species works best for my scenario.

When all is said and done, it will be about 3 feet deep, which does not sound like a lot of depth, but is the minimum required for koi, which are a form of carp. Lemme tell ya: moving all that dirt, mud, and clay to get to three feet is either gonna kill you or make you very strong and sinewy. I hope to get to the sinewy stage before it kills me!

PS: I have not told the wife of my true plans. Officially, the pond is meant to hold goldfish.
Look into these. Pacu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,300 Times in 28,562 Posts

Quote:

You might look into tilapia. I was looking at setting up a fish pond too, and they look ideal. They can handle muddy water, low O2 levels, they grow fast and aren't picky eaters. Pretty good eating too. More so than carp I would imagine.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,208 Times in 865 Posts

I can't think of a worse fish to raise for food than carp (or koi).

I would recommend a panfish like bluegill, crappie or perch, maybe even white bass. Catfish would be good as well. Those are all hardy fish that reproduce quickly and taste pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Trapper

My understanding is that Tilapia can be raised as dense as 7 per cubic foot. So, you could probably raise quite a few in a 50 gallon barrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aryaba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Recent Blog: Garden Pest Control

Default Fish in a barrel

Hey folks,
Redbayfarm here. Just wanted to let you know the status of my small aquaponics operation.

I run the system using solar power...two harbor freight solar panels (gotta love the Chinese) and a aquaponics system developed by Johnathan Woods.

I run the system using an airlift pump slightly modified to optimize the Venturi effect (I hope) using a 4 watt AC air pump. The system runs 24/7 completely off grid...3 deep cycle batteries in parallel kept charged by two 45 watt solar panels.

The aquaponics table is of the Johnathan Woods design...very, very simple from his Urban Aquaponics Manual.http://http://www.redbayfarm.com/jts_aquaponics.html Look over to the right column on the webpage for a link to the manual.

Right now I have tomatoes, all sorts of flowers, bush beans, cucumbers, onions, lettuce etc etc sprouting in the 8'X4' tray.

My system is housed in a 12'X16 ft greenhouse designed by NC State.
My Greenhouse is the one in the picture...but I've moved it since this picture was taken. The green house design is highly modified now. I elevated the 2"X6" board base by bolting it onto posts. I elevated it approximately 6". This summer I will open both ends of this hoop greenhouse for ventilation and apply a shade cloth for cooling.

To set up a back yard food production system like the one described above plan to spend about $1000...unless of course if you scavenge. Don't scrimp on things like greenhouse plastic...builders plastic will deteriorate after about a year whereas greenhouse plastic will last up to 4 years.

Fish....right now I have a school of about 25 goldfish...feeders. I started with 30 but 5 have morted out. Each day I take about 10 gallons of water out of my 50 gallon barrel and water my lemon and kumquat trees with the nutrient rich water (gold fish are very dirty...a good thing in aquaponics).

The PH of the water is just under 7.0 which is very good. Not bad for a swamp water operation. This weekend I plan to take my cast net over to my neighbor's pond to get some bluegill and maybe a catfish.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redbayfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
here kitty, kitty

There is a company in Kona who seems to have a pretty nice aquaponics system. I don't know the cost, but will probably look into them soon. They raise Talapia in their system.

http://konaaquaponics.webs.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:

I have read that tilapa and catfish are the best for this.
Carp can be quite good if raised in barrels. A bad taste (muddy) comes because they are bottom feeding fish. The flavor of wild caught carp can be improved by keeping them in barrels for a few days before killing them. I understand there are more bones in carp too than some others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Freedom Patriot

The Following User Says Thank You to Richard1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll bring the rope.

Thanked 2,142 Times in 739 Posts

Hey all

Thank you for the input; you are helping me come to my final decision. In my original post I listed carp as my main choice becaue I saw a show on TV that portrayed carp as a very widely-grown form of protein in China. The peasants there planted some kind of berry-producing tree on the edges of the (nasty, dirty) holding pens, and when the berries fell off the carp ate them.

Apparently, very little effort was put into the raising and maintenance of the carp, and that is the level of effort I'm looking for!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Survivor

I think maintenance should be simple on most things you do in post SHTF, just because there will be more chores to do.
I think I would raise catfish.
Tilapia is illegal to raise in some places because they displace more desirable fish if they should happen to end up in a lake or river. Of course, it isn't exactly like they can walk over to the nearest lake or river. I think also they are more warm water fish, arn't they?