Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Default Brown rice shelf life

Advertise Here

Does anyone know how long properly stored brown rice will last?...I've read that because of the oil in brown rice it tends to go rancid in less than a year.
I'm diabetic and I have to avoid white rice.....or is there another type of rice besides brown rice I can eat with out my sugar going balistic!!?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,256 Times in 32,580 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Packed in mylar with O2 absorbers, 2 maybe 3 years tops. It just doesn't store very well long term. Plus you don't know how much age it has on it before you bought it.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Wild rice is not a true rice but may be good for diabetics. When it is hulled, it will keep indefinitely. It's expensive, though.

http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/wildrice.html
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Rest In Peace My Brothers

Thanked 27,382 Times in 14,340 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Isn't there some oil in it that will go rancid in 2-3 years. Not great for long term storeage.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I checked out the link.....expensive is an understatement!!!! but it might be worth it when you consider the health benefits derived from that type of Grain.

Now if Brown rice has a 2-3 year shelf life,I may be able to work a plan with it also.I'm kinda new to the prepping thing in regards to food storage so I need to consider the learning curve required

Thanks guys.....I hope more people post on the subject.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM
End of the Roader

Not long enough to be considered long term storage food.

If your diabetic, rice isn't going to be on the menu... Of course (and take this the right way, as my parents were diabetic, and I'll probably be someday, if it's genetic) the year the brown rice would last, might outlast you.

What are your plans for treating your diabetes? Insulin dependents are in trouble, if everything goes down. If it can be treated with testing and diet, you'd have a chance. I'm looking into planting bitter melon this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to texican For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Survivor

Some of the American Indians used juniper berries as treatment for diabetes.

There are probably other grains that are a good substitute for wheat, such as buckwheat, millet, amaranth, alfalfa seeds, etc. They don't have gluten but may be better for diabetics. Are you sure whole wheat berries are bad for diabetics? The amount of fiber in it may lower the danger. Diabetics do need some carbs, not a wholesale avoidance of them.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican View Post
Not long enough to be considered long term storage food.

If your diabetic, rice isn't going to be on the menu... Of course (and take this the right way, as my parents were diabetic, and I'll probably be someday, if it's genetic) the year the brown rice would last, might outlast you.

What are your plans for treating your diabetes? Insulin dependents are in trouble, if everything goes down. If it can be treated with testing and diet, you'd have a chance. I'm looking into planting bitter melon this summer.
TEXICAN.....thanks for the post,I use Lantus...the pen and I normally have a 3 month supply on hand.I was taking 850mg. of metformin and I was the one who asked my doctor if going on Insulin was wise.............I can maintain about 140-150 on metformin.....Ironically,the insulin doesnt do much better than the metformin did.
I havent walked this year(weather)like I have in the past and I have to kick myself in the arse ta get the count down
The bitter melon thing sounds do-able and something I think I'm going to seriously consider....wether I plant my own or buy extracts of it.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Fled is that music...

I have been wondering about this also - and I was thinking about storing a 25 lb bag in my deep freeze, and then just pulling it when the SHTF - but I'm trying to figure out what the shelf life will be after I pull it out...Anyone know how that works? Does it just pick up where it left off (and last 6 months or so) or would I have to use it quicker after freezing it due to faster degradation?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,256 Times in 32,580 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I have been wondering about this also - and I was thinking about storing a 25 lb bag in my deep freeze, and then just pulling it when the SHTF - but I'm trying to figure out what the shelf life will be after I pull it out...Anyone know how that works? Does it just pick up where it left off (and last 6 months or so) or would I have to use it quicker after freezing it due to faster degradation?
Chemical reactions happen slower in lower temperatures, so the freezer would extend the life. How much I don't know. But it's still going to be aging, just slower. Then when you bring it out, it'll begin aging at the normal rate, plus whatever age it gained in the freezer.

O2 is the culprit. The lower the O2 level, the longer it'll last. But even in extremely low O2 atmospheres, it still doesn't have a terribly long life. You might bag it in mylar with an O2 absorber before freezing. Maybe both together would work really well. Just make sure to let it have a few days to absorb the O2 before freezing. Low temps will slow that chemical reaction also.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-retired View Post
TEXICAN.....thanks for the post,I use Lantus...the pen and I normally have a 3 month supply on hand.I was taking 850mg. of metformin and I was the one who asked my doctor if going on Insulin was wise.............I can maintain about 140-150 on metformin.....Ironically,the insulin doesnt do much better than the metformin did.
I havent walked this year(weather)like I have in the past and I have to kick myself in the arse ta get the count down
The bitter melon thing sounds do-able and something I think I'm going to seriously consider....wether I plant my own or buy extracts of it.
I suggest a hyperactive dog that you have to walk everyday, rain or shine! That's the only way I get my own exercise...my Border Collie insists on it!

If you can stay off insulin and continue with metformin, that is better for you. Metformin still encourages insulin production while insulin injections themselves don't. Your body gets lazy with insulin injections, and you can become dependent on insulin injections because the body has quit doing its own job of making more. You may not be able to avoid it, but I'd leave insulin as a last resort.

I take metformin also. In type II diabetes, the body manufactures enough insulin but much of it can't be used. Metformin helps the body utilize the insulin it already makes, while type I diabetics don't manufacture much insulin in the first place and do need insulin.

You might be able to do okay in a post SHTF world without the metformin if you were otherwise very careful in diet and exercise. I'm thinking a high protein, low carb diet in post SHTF would be best.

Some tablets containing chromium might also help now and then. There appears to be a deficiency of that mineral in diabetics. Some pharmacies carry vitamin/mineral tablets made just for diabetics, and chromium (usually chromium picolate) is one of the ingredients. Ask them if you don't see it. I stock up on a few bottles of it and also have a bottle of chromium tablets. You can also google foods with higher levels of chromium and stock up on some of them. Very little amounts of chromium are needed...it is a trace mineral.