Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Default Drinking water rain barrels?

Advertise Here

Does anyone know if any rain barrels are safe for drinking water. I know that it is not advisable to collect the water off of a shingled roof. How about a large funnel around the rim with the barrel located in the open? If there are safe barrels, I would then use my Katadyne Combi to filter. What do you think?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
This is a great survival

Thanked 1,050 Times in 314 Posts

catching the water and then filtering it would be fine, that is what i am setting up for my cabin right now
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
That Guy

If you want a rain catch like you describe maybe ut some kind of screen or fabric inside the funnel to keep forign objects out. That would lessen the chance of contamination greatly. Depending on how long you let the water set in the barel I would filter or boil it before drinking. I would not set it up under or near a tree if you can help it.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 27,855 Times in 14,614 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Catching rain off a tarp and running it in a barrel would be ok.

Put the tarp away when not raining to keep the bird poop and "stuff" off.

I got my barrels from the local Pepsi bottler before Y2k. Washed them with hot soapy water, drained and rinsed twice. LLet them soak for 2 weeks full with a quart of unscented bleach.

Work like a charm, no syrup smell or taste.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,190 Times in 6,264 Posts

Collecting rain in a barrel is much safer than drinking out of a river or other ground water source. No pesticides, heavy metals, aomebas, viruses, or run offs. Unless you have an acid rain or nuclear fallout of course. The only contamination will come from the barrel, funnel or foreign matter into the water. Some of the cleanest water.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Prepared

You could always try the 1st flush system I saw on youtube. The first part of the rain goes to a tube (where dust etc lands) when its full the water diverts to a catcher. Pretty simple and cool, they used a gatoraid bottle as a float to divert the water.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Food grade rain catchment RainSaucers

Just saw this discussion after posting a separate thread. My company makes a food grade rainwater catchment system that plugs right into your typical 55 gallon drum. In developing countries we plan on offering it as a solution for potable water. But we've made some sales to people in the U.S. interested in it for disaster preparedness. I would like some advice from this forum on whether this is something of interest.

More pictures at www.rainsaucers.com

BTW, you can put more than on Saucer on a rain barrel
Also we are looking for new distributors.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,185 Posts

The rain saucer idea is interesting. My first thought was to wonder what stops it from winging away over the trees in the wind that usually accompanies rain, however.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Cables

Sorry, picture doesn't show cabling underneath that we use.
New pictures will be posted soon.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,044 Times in 377 Posts

You cant catch and use rain water, it belongs to the government!
( sorry just had to through that in)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 AM
This is a great survival

Thanked 1,050 Times in 314 Posts

how about some factory direct pricing for us preppers, looks like a pretty interesting deal. if the price was right i might be interested in one or 2
Old 03-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Saucers, very interesting concept..I'd consider distribution with you..Like I stated in another posting people in Aruba catch water in their roof using roofing designed out of pottery..

Mr Washington, it needs to be purified heres something you can do

My homemade water purifier...

Go to your local salvage yard, find a broken down refrigerator (G E ) that has an ICEMAKER/ WATER dispenser..Look inside and find the filtering unit..It usually takes only a philips screwdriver to remove the unit.

Then disconnect the water line leading to it, you can even cut it..Now once you have it in your hand and screw off the filter, you will find in its mounting device a rubber plunge that works on pressure from your faucet, remove it so it flows without pressure..

What I did was hook the feed line to it to a 5 gal bucket.I had to drill a hole to insert the feed line.That 5 gal bucket became my rain-catcher.It goes from that bucket to the filter and out to my clean - water tank..very simple, effective and all you do from that point is store your clean water to catch more and occasionally replace filter. I also invested in a clean water metering kit..I use it to only catch rain water and the water is very drinkable..Ive even had success running dirty water thru it to a purified state tho that very quickly limits the life of the filter..Also I'll run a bucket of bleach thru it oft times just to extend life of filter.

Washington, I found 5 of them in one day and sold two unit I created.

Very cheap, very effective..Very mobile, can use at home, campsites, etc....Good Luck sir

Last edited by Charlie Lucky; 03-17-2011 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: misspell
Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
3/11 ACR Scout

For drinking water you might consider using material that is FDA approved and even BPA free. Reliance makes FDA approved and BPA free containers and barrels for a price.

BPA , a controversial substance found in most plastics, has been banned in several countries because of its potential adverse health effects.

I picked up a 6.5 gallon water container mfg. by Blitz yesterday , says water on it in big letters . researched it and found it is not FDA approved for drinking water.. So, will probably just use it for non drinking water uses.

I do store drinking water in FDA approved Reliance 6 gal. containers for emergency purposes.

BPA from Wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A
The Following User Says Thank You to high peaks man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
I love this forum

Location: building a tachyon, triple ring, 100 ft tall, pounded earth fortress...by hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by high peaks man View Post
For drinking water you might consider using material that is FDA approved and even BPA free. Reliance makes FDA approved and BPA free containers and barrels for a price.

BPA , a controversial substance found in most plastics, has been banned in several countries because of its potential adverse health effects.

I picked up a 6.5 gallon water container mfg. by Blitz yesterday , says water on it in big letters . researched it and found it is not FDA approved for drinking water.. So, will probably just use it for non drinking water uses.

I do store drinking water in FDA approved Reliance 6 gal. containers for emergency purposes.

BPA from Wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Now, I assume that most of the liquids we take in now have been exposed to BPA's...such as plastic gallon water jugs, the common plastic water bottle, 2liter coke/pepsi bottles, etc...

Heck, even many foods are wrapped in plastic and stored long term...from candy bars to frozen fish fillets.

So, my question is, do you somehow avoid BPA exposure by avoiding everything else that comes into contact with plastics? If so, what do you do to accomplish this?

How much do you spend on the BPA free water barrels? ....edit...just found them at costco for 100 bucks http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11610210. I guess I would be willing to spend the extra money if I was also avoiding BPA's from all the other sources...my question is how does one do that?

thx
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
3/11 ACR Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatson View Post
Now, I assume that most of the liquids we take in now have been exposed to BPA's...such as plastic gallon water jugs, the common plastic water bottle, 2liter coke/pepsi bottles, etc...

Heck, even many foods are wrapped in plastic and stored long term...from candy bars to frozen fish fillets.

So, my question is, do you somehow avoid BPA exposure by avoiding everything else that comes into contact with plastics? If so, what do you do to accomplish this?

How much do you spend on the BPA free water barrels? ....edit...just found them at costco for 100 bucks http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11610210. I guess I would be willing to spend the extra money if I was also avoiding BPA's from all the other sources...my question is how does one do that?

thx
good points.
More and more companies are and will be offering BPA free plastic products .

Just need to know what to look for and avoid, shop more wisely.

Biggest concern about BPA seems to be for pregnant women and children.

To heck with us old farts.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM

I purchased 2 of these, have them set up in the backyard for watering a garden.

http://www.homesteadersupply.com/ind...roducts_id=621