Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Totally Un-Hip

Default Homemade anti-biotics

Advertise Here

Does anyone know how to do this or knows of any literature on it?
I think this must be an uber important skill for longterm survival. Little cuts can kill horribly without these and, god forbid, knife or gunshot wounds are very much more fatl without them.
It is believed many ancient Celts fought naked to lesson the chance of infection brought about by clothing fibers in wounds. It also freaked out the enemy too.
I think this could be a great life saver after stored supplies run out.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Where the Elite meet

Thanked 1,622 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmattdaddywack View Post
Does anyone know how to do this or knows of any literature on it?
I think this must be an uber important skill for longterm survival. Little cuts can kill horribly without these and, god forbid, knife or gunshot wounds are very much more fatl without them.
It is believed many ancient Celts fought naked to lesson the chance of infection brought about by clothing fibers in wounds. It also freaked out the enemy too.
I think this could be a great life saver after stored supplies run out.
You can do nothing worse for your immune system than to abuse antibiotics. Taking them for a little cut is a fast road to resistance. Try cleaning the cut with alcohol, and save the antibiotics for when they are truly needed.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ice Axe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,398 Times in 697 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after bigmatt, but I heard of a kind of natural antibiotic (or more correctly probiotic) fermented drink that you can make at home. It's called Kefir; it's pretty ancient.

Here's a recipe for Kefir ....

Kefir—Homemade
Accompanying article: Kefir
Considered by many to be the most healthful of fermented foods, effervescent kefir tastes tangy and fresh. Kefir contains vitamins A, B and C, lactic acid, antibiotics, antiviral agents, anti-cancer agents and 0.1% alcohol. Commercially available kefir only approximates the real thing (see Kefir Article).
The Following User Says Thank You to Herne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Where the Elite meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after bigmatt, but I heard of a kind of natural antibiotic (or more correctly probiotic) fermented drink that you can make at home. It's called Kefir; it's pretty ancient.

Here's a recipe for Kefir ....

Kefir—Homemade
Accompanying article: Kefir
Considered by many to be the most healthful of fermented foods, effervescent kefir tastes tangy and fresh. Kefir contains vitamins A, B and C, lactic acid, antibiotics, antiviral agents, anti-cancer agents and 0.1% alcohol. Commercially available kefir only approximates the real thing (see Kefir Article).
Kefir is very similar to yogurt, except it's slightly more sour and has a low alcohol content. That aside, knowing it quite well, I wouldn't put it on a cut as curdling milk products sure sounds like a great host for infection.

I'd also take all the anti-cancer claims and such with a huge grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice Axe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Like a thief in the night

Go to the pharmacy, to the supplements section and get some Echinacea. It works better than antibiotics, I even give it to my animals for infection. It stimulates your immune system and doesn't kill off the good bacteria in your digestive tract (which contains 70% of your immune system).
Old 03-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,398 Times in 697 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Axe View Post
Kefir is very similar to yogurt, except it's slightly more sour and has a low alcohol content. That aside, knowing it quite well, I wouldn't put it on a cut as curdling milk products sure sounds like a great host for infection.

I'd also take all the anti-cancer claims and such with a huge grain of salt.

Thanks Ice. I wouldn't put it on wounds either, just thought it might be a useful natural alternative you could ingest if pharma wasn't available. Would you recommend kefir at all?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Where the Elite meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
Thanks Ice. I wouldn't put it on wounds either, just thought it might be a useful natural alternative you could ingest if pharma wasn't available. Would you recommend kefir at all?
I'm not fond of it, but I do use it to cook with sometimes. Most of my friends love to drink it. It's also touted as a hangover cure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice Axe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Totally Un-Hip

About the cuts. I was meaning how people have died due the fact that sometimes those little cuts get horribly infected. Wasn't suggesting taking them for every cut, just when they get really bad. I was meaning like penicillin.

If discussing this is against forum rules I remove my request.

Also, no ingesting of alcohol for me. I have violent reactions to alcohol.
The levels must be almost non existent.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Getting ready!

HONEY ...Must use raw as it still contains pollen, propolis, honeycomb and live enzymes, this will improve healing time for burns, lacerations, and abrasions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JtCamp05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Default Vitamin D

Take your vitamin D to improve your immune system or get 15 minutes of sun everyday (and not all bundled up for the cold either). I think a good knowledge of home remedies would be helpful too - such as fresh cilandro is good for E coli and Pomegranate skin for MRSE, etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
About the cuts. I was meaning how people have died due the fact that sometimes those little cuts get horribly infected. Wasn't suggesting taking them for every cut, just when they get really bad. I was meaning like penicillin.

If discussing this is against forum rules I remove my request.

Also, no ingesting of alcohol for me. I have violent reactions to alcohol.
The levels must be almost non existent.
With the prevalence of antibiotic resistant organisms on the increase in the general population alternative means of dealing with infections may bear some fruit as a matter of research.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,405 Times in 3,206 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Axe View Post
You can do nothing worse for your immune system than to abuse antibiotics. Taking them for a little cut is a fast road to resistance. Try cleaning the cut with alcohol, and save the antibiotics for when they are truly needed.
I think that's the most intelligent thing that's ever come out of your mouth.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts

Hydrogen peroxide is great for cuts and skin infections. Use it daily when you change a bandage. However I have no idea how to make it from scratch.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Hiker

I have heard colloidial silver is supposed to work well. I have never used it myself though.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,682 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthunder View Post
Go to the pharmacy, to the supplements section and get some Echinacea. It works better than antibiotics, I even give it to my animals for infection. It stimulates your immune system and doesn't kill off the good bacteria in your digestive tract (which contains 70% of your immune system).
"Works better than antibiotics" ?
"Stimulates your immune system" ?
"Digestive tract contains 70% of your immune system" ?

?
Not even close to being accurate... not even close enough to explain how far from truth you are.

Please, don't post about medical concepts with this poor of education.

But on to the OP's question

Everything listed so far in this post has been an antiseptic, not an antibiotic. Antiseptics will work for keeping wounds clear of further infection, but will do nothing for existing tissue or systemic infection.

As for producing homemade antibiotics, forget about it. Antibiotics were not able to be reliably made, even with multimillion dollar laboratories until the 1940. The process is just too difficult. To give an example or two, in 1924 the Surgeon General sat with the President of the United States and watched his son, Calvin Coolidge Jr., die of a blister between his toes because there was no such thing as antibiotics yet. The first person to ever be given penicillin had his urine collected to remove the excreted antibiotic from his pee rather than make more!

To make 2 grams worth of doses from the fungus you would require over 2000kg of the fungus to get the 1 part per million of the active ingredient... and that is with NO production loss, which reality tells us is actually only an 18% efficient process in a lab, so multiply that about six times!

So, while growing your own food, chopping your own wood, and fighting off zombie hoards... somewhere you will also bake enough bread media on which to grow 12 metric tons of P. notatum. Then in your spare time you must discover how to make the intervening catalytic enzymes that are needed for the epimerization of the tricyclic rings into a usable substrate for the final oxidation of the ring structure...
and that gives you your FIRST daily dose! Now go make the following week's worth.

I am a chem. eng/biochemist turned nurse that spent a decade working as a pharmaceutical engineer... I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to make this crap.

And penicillin is by far the easiest of the antibiotics to manufacture. (So the next time you see someone bitching about the cost of pharmaceuticals, tell them to shut up)

Homemade antibiotics ain't gunna happen.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Michigan_RN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Totally Un-Hip

^
Well I got an answer.
We are screwed then basically.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigmattdaddywack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,682 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
^
Well I got an answer.
We are screwed then basically.
Yep.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_RN View Post
"Works better than antibiotics" ?
"Stimulates your immune system" ?
"Digestive tract contains 70% of your immune system" ?

?
Not even close to being accurate... not even close enough to explain how far from truth you are.

Please, don't post about medical concepts with this poor of education.

..... tell them to shut up)

Homemade antibiotics ain't gunna happen.
Well your posting shows that you still may have a ways to go.

The Hearst Corporation conducted a survey that concluded that medical mistakes are responsible for four times the number of deaths caused by automobile accidents. The FDA/drug lobby revolves around the profit principle; the end result is that if your prescription drug kills you; at least they made a profit off of your demise.

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/...overvw_gi.html

Just the first result available on Google, the above is a physician statement that 70% of your immune system cells circulate through your digestive tract. My other observations regarding echinacea are anecdotal matters that I supplied after more than 20 years of use of same. I haven't touched an antibiotic in more than 20 years.

My background is in Forensics/Psychology. Granted, I'm not a nurse, but them again I would never cover up a medical error made by a physician.

I am simply amazed that at a time when America has more college grads than any other time in it's history, just look at the condition of the country.

Do you suppose that intellectual snobbery might have anything to do with it???
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silenthunder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,303 Times in 15,612 Posts

A collage education means nothing. However a person can acquire a education and make something of it. Maybe a collage education isn't a good idea for everyone,some people are just stupid and somebody's gotta make all them happy meals.
I finally figured out why EMT's, nurses ect. don't like to tell us how to get IV's and other medical supplies and give medical advice on this forum.THEY DON'T WANT US TO KILL EACH OTHER! so why attack them on every post. They will just go somewhere else and pretend to be truck drivers,
As far as antibiotics go,I can't even imagine the enviroment you would need to set up to even begin manufacturing them,The government cant even supply safe vaccines, how would you make antibiotics. who would draw the short straw to test them ?
The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
A collage education means nothing. However a person can acquire a education and make something of it. Maybe a collage education isn't a good idea for everyone,some people are just stupid and somebody's gotta make all them happy meals.
I finally figured out why EMT's, nurses ect. don't like to tell us how to get IV's and other medical supplies and give medical advice on this forum.THEY DON'T WANT US TO KILL EACH OTHER! so why attack them on every post. They will just go somewhere else and pretend to be truck drivers,
As far as antibiotics go,I can't even imagine the enviroment you would need to set up to even begin manufacturing them,The government cant even supply safe vaccines, how would you make antibiotics. who would draw the short straw to test them ?
rover, I completely agree with you with the additional observation that I believe that we make a grave mistake in this country by judging the worth of an individual by the number of dollars they possess.

We seem to be terribly close to a caste system supported by the so called experts in their respective fields. If anything is corrected in the economic situation that appears to be arising; I hope that we re-discover the worth of the individual and embrace the concept that who you are is much more important than what you are.

Naked you came into this world and naked you will depart.