Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Libertarian

Default What should every SHTF bag contain?

Advertise Here

I recently ordered one of these. http://sap075.channeladvisor.com/p-4...ault-pack.aspx

Not sure what I should start adding. So I figured I would ask. I am wanting to make a short term load out. Something that will keep me going for a few weeks in the wilderness. Aside from ammo and mags, what is a must for a shtf bag?

What should be in my bag?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,212 Times in 872 Posts

Okay I'll start. How bout FOOD..............................Next
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,661 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

shelter... water related items... Next
Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,736 Posts

This thread should be your friend

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=78833

If its bolded on the first page, and your kit doesnt have it, you probably need to add it

Read the whole list though, you might see some things you will instantly recognize that you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Water,shelter,food and of course fire.The items you need.The rest fill in the _ _ _ _ _ ?
The Following User Says Thank You to kabar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,716 Times in 470 Posts

Every BOB should have a large house around it filled with loads of food that somehow found their way into your pantry, old clothes that you have been meaning to give to Purple Heart, tools that have sat unused for months even as that project languishes unfinished, a weight bench you have been meaning to use more often, that fantastically comfortable chair that you love to curl up into and read one of the vast tomes of reading material that fill your library...

... Yep, I am of the mind-set that a BOB is not worth the effort.

Any disaster that you could ride out with a small bag of goodies is a disaster that you could ride out in a Marriott, anything larger and your BOB will be inadequate.

If I showed up naked to the Marriott they would look up my Gold Elite membership, the room would be upgraded, the concierge would be told my sizes and preferences for clothes and I would be able to set my dinning reservations before I had even secured the belt on my complimentary robe.

Local disasters are by definition local; wide-scale disasters are not something that you can ride out with a simple bag slung over your shoulder.

If you can get out of the disaster area, than stay in a nice hotel and I do suggest the surf & turf. If you can't get out of the disaster area, than stay in your home where you have literally tons of crap that could be of use to you in survival.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Recent Blog: Our return!
Preparation job #1

shelter - fire starter - water - food and protection
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highdeserthawk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 1,478 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_RN View Post
Every BOB should have a large house around it filled with loads of food that somehow found their way into your pantry, old clothes that you have been meaning to give to Purple Heart, tools that have sat unused for months even as that project languishes unfinished, a weight bench you have been meaning to use more often, that fantastically comfortable chair that you love to curl up into and read one of the vast tomes of reading material that fill your library...

Any disaster that you could ride out with a small bag of goodies is a disaster that you could ride out in a Marriott, anything larger and your BOB will be inadequate.

If I showed up naked to the Marriott they would look up my Gold Elite membership, the room would be upgraded, the concierge would be told my sizes and preferences for clothes and I would be able to set my dinning reservations before I had even secured the belt on my complimentary robe.

Local disasters are by definition local; wide-scale disasters are not something that you can ride out with a simple bag slung over your shoulder.

If you can get out of the disaster area, than stay in a nice hotel and I do suggest the surf & turf. If you can't get out of the disaster area, than stay in your home where you have literally tons of crap that could be of use to you in survival.
As much as I want to disagree with you............

Theres a strange logic about that thought process I cant find any holes in. And its absolutely true
The Following User Says Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Trapper

Bugging out would be a last resort if staying became too dangerous. Bugging out would also mean by vehicle or not at all. I could do some walking but not my wife - partially handicapped. That's the reality of it
I still keep BOBs so we could leave quickly such as in the case a chemical truck wrecks on a nearby highway or for whatever the situation. If possible I would toss a ton of supplies in our POV. My BOB bags follow the usual water, fire, shelter, clothing, FAK, food, lists of things. Regardless of BOB lists, I'm constantly reviewing it, making minor changes and adjustments. It's an essential hobby.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Medication...survival blankets.....550 cord.....duct tape....compass.....light, with the above mentioned
The Following User Says Thank You to miked681lt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 PM

vodka, for pain and fun, food, and some books(life is not always hell and fast paced)
Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Default Sarsastic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_RN View Post

Sarcastic = hell yes,but there is a point here that I agree with.There is no way in heck that you will thrive with a BOB,INCH,or PSK on you.So if its wilderness survival - go for the suggested BOB ,otherwise bug in.
The Following User Says Thank You to scaatylobo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,681 Posts

clothes, fire, good boots, coat, rain gear, knife, water purification, 550 cord,shake flashlite, canteen, medications, bible, soap, optics compass map, first aid kit, eating utensils, gun oil, sleeping system incorporated, tarp.....????
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,125 Times in 959 Posts

Any reason I can't take the BOB to the Marriott? It might be the one a couple of towns away depending on the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,123 Posts

The BOB, for me anyways, woudl be to get me home, not away from my BOL..... if I am headed to my BOL I will be in my truck with the cap on it and the bed full and the back seat full.......
Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Any reason I can't take the BOB to the Marriott? It might be the one a couple of towns away depending on the situation.
I agree totally, but with one caveat...

Many of the BOB item lists or videos I have seen contain shotguns, rifles, antipersonnel mines, and Panzerschrecks...

I don't know about you, but when I am taking that first sip of the Chateau Lafite Rothschild and plying the other Marriott guests with engrossing tales of my harrowing escape from the disaster zone...

...I don't want some sodden fop to drop his ALICE pack on the ground and discharge his Nazi death rocket into the kitchen delaying my perfectly prepared prime rib dinner.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 1,478 Times in 635 Posts

Youre a sick man RN, I think we'd get along fine....
The Following User Says Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM

One of the anesthesiologists I work with shot Pepsi out of his nose reading this post...

But I think he is going to join the discussion when he gets home tonight