Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Hand Crank Radio Review

Advertise Here

I found a nifty hand crank AM/FM/WB radio at CVS for only $10. If you are prepping on a budget, this might fit the bill:

Emergency Radio Review: Battery Free Crank Radio From Innovage Outdoor

I think it is a pretty good deal for the price.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Question

Any idea on how well it lasts ?
I'm always concerned about whether the thing will break after a couple months of actual usage.
Especially in these days where so much equipment is cheap and china-made..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Prepared

I wouldn't cheap out on emergency supplies. I spend a considerable amount of time researching reviews. That's why I ended up with the FR-160. It's thirty bucks and it just keeps popping up in suggestions across the web. I swallowed my pride in searching out for the ultimate radio and grabbed it. It does it's job well. It doesnt shine your shoes, but it does radio well, and the flashlight is super efficient.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 PM

Hi guys, I've been snooping around and here are a few reviews that I found so far in case you're interested. Most are pretty cheap type ones. The 1st Kaito was mentioned on this forum, reviewer not impressed.

Review of the Kaito KA500
Reviewer does not like it

Review of Eton Emergency Preparedness Radio (Microlink fr160) Aprox $30
Reviewer seems to basically like it.

Review of Eton Solarlink FR-600
Reviewer basically likes it.

Review of Kaito KA404 torch/radio Aprox $20
Reviewer basically likes it.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Prepared

90 seconds of cranking to get 5 minutes of radio? that is not my experience at all. 1 minute equals 1 hour easy.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Review of Eton Scorpion Emergency Radio
Reviewer approves!
http://www.youtube.com/user/survival.../0/n_McIRGWckQ
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 AM

Thumbs down

I bought an eaton crank radio and tried it. They do not do what the hype is all around them. I called the factory and talked to a tech. He told me that 1 min. crank = 5 min radio. Right from the factory tech. If you use up the rechargeable battery pack and start from zero you will never charge it. From the tech. 15 min crank = 2 mins of cell phone use. It will never fully charge or direct power. Just designed to be a last ditch effort when using the crank. You all ways need to charge it with external power. right from the tech. I said thank you then went back and returned it to the store. Eaton does not make a self powered crank radio that can be truly powered by the crank. Right from the tech. The same goes for that top solar panel. I really wish I could find a crank type radio that would do all of the things that these are supposed to do. I would pay $200-300 for one that worked.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetane View Post
I bought an eaton crank radio and tried it. They do not do what the hype is all around them. I called the factory and talked to a tech. He told me that 1 min. crank = 5 min radio. Right from the factory tech. If you use up the rechargeable battery pack and start from zero you will never charge it. From the tech. 15 min crank = 2 mins of cell phone use. It will never fully charge or direct power. Just designed to be a last ditch effort when using the crank. You all ways need to charge it with external power. right from the tech. I said thank you then went back and returned it to the store. Eaton does not make a self powered crank radio that can be truly powered by the crank. Right from the tech. The same goes for that top solar panel. I really wish I could find a crank type radio that would do all of the things that these are supposed to do. I would pay $200-300 for one that worked.
odd, I blanked out the charge on my fr-160, cranked for 60 seconds and got 50 minutes worth of play at a pretty loud volume before it went dead. I'm now on 60 seconds of charge and a slightly lower volume and am sitting at 30 minutes of radio. (edit: its still playing of course)