Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,417 Times in 3,207 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Fixing a broken tooth / missing filling

Advertise Here

Anyone this has happened to knows this sucks, REALLY sucks, and you can't get to the dentist soon enough to have it fixed. So what do you do? Well you're going to need a few things. This is what I've used in the past with good success. Here is what I keep in my dental kit. Everything here is available at the local drug store.

1 small bottle of Listerine
1 pack of 4 "GUM Go Betweens" tooth cleaners.
1 bottle of Eugenol (clove oil) with small cotton balls and tweezers
1 Bottle "Temparin Max" filling replacement.
1 set of basic dental tools

1st Have the person with the damaged tooth gently brush and rinse extensively with the Listerine. Get the area as clean as possible. It's gonna hurt, so man up and deal with it.

2nd Use the "Go Betweens" to further clean the area around the tooth.

3rd Soak a small cotton ball and in the Eugenol (Clove Oil) and use the tweezers to place over the damaged area. This is about 3 seconds of hell followed by the numbing of the area.

4th Wad up a small ball of the Temparin dental repair compound and pack it into the affected area and have the person gently bite down. Make sure you fill it very well, pack it a bit with the curved end of one of the dental tools. If there is a air pocket under it, it will not hold and will still be painful, especially when eating or drinking. If the tooth is broken, don't try to rebuild it totally, the filling will break off under stress, just rebuild it enough to cover and seal the broken area.

5th use the dental tools to shape the compound into the affected area where the filling is ever so lightly lower then the surrounding area to prevent it from being knocked out. Remove the excess filling, have person bite down to confirm that the bite is normal and the filling is not in the way.

6th place a moist cotton ball on top of the filling (if called for in the filling's instructions) the moisture helps several types of fillings set up. After about 30-45min, remove the cotton ball and replace with a few dry cotton balls for a hour or so until the material takes hold. After 3-4 hrs eating is possible again.

This will correct the problem till further help can be found, it's a temporary fix that if done properly and carefully can last up to 2 weeks.

Last edited by kahn; 03-05-2010 at 01:28 AM..
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 AM

There are answers to tooth and cavity care in the bush.

The most important thing of course is prevention. Two things play a major roll in preventing cavities, diet and oral hygiene. If you look at the animal kingdom there are only to species that commonly suffer from tooth decay, the honey bear and humans.

In history, the Romans were the first civilization to suffer from tooth decay and for obvious reasons. The Romans were the inventors of bee keeping! With the proper diet cavities can be avoided all together by giving up sugar. Which in the bush.. isn't terribly hard as it wont be as readily available. What sugars you do obtain through diet can be combated with good oral hygiene habits.

I had read an account of a man in his 80s who had never suffered from a single problem with his teeth, and he had never gone to a dentist once in his life. When interviewed about it, he said he didn't eat many sugary foods as he much preferred vegetables that he grew himself. He also carried with him in his front shirt pocket a "chew stick" that he used randomly throughout the day. This chew stick was nothing more then a twig from a sassafras tree which was chewed on one end until frayed and then used as a makeshift tooth brush.

If you were to experience a sore tooth or a lost filling in the bush, cotton from a mallow soaked with pine resin then placed directly on the problem area can help.

Chewing or making a tea from the inner bark or leaves of a willow tree can help to relieve the pain from a tooth ache.

If you happily find wild strawberries, the root of this plant can be used to produce a toothpaste.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 28,271 Times in 14,856 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Kahn,

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to cut and paste that into my Medical Info book and my preps.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 AM

Thanks I have a dental kit but I've never opened it. I guess I should though. But I don't think it has all of that in it. So I need to see what I'm missing. thanks agian.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

All of that came from the local chain drug store for about $20
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,685 Times in 2,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
Anyone this has happened to knows this sucks, REALLY sucks, and you can't get to the dentist soon enough to have it fixed. So what do you do? Well you're going to need a few things. This is what I've used in the past with good success. Here is what I keep in my dental kit. Everything here is available at the local drug store.

1 small bottle of Listerine
1 pack of 4 "GUM Go Betweens" tooth cleaners.
1 bottle of Eugenol (clove oil) with small cotton balls and tweezers
1 Bottle "Temparin Max" filling replacement.
1 set of basic dental tools

1st Have the person with the damaged tooth gently brush and rinse extensively with the Listerine. Get the area as clean as possible. It's gonna hurt, so man up and deal with it.

2nd Use the "Go Betweens" to further clean the area around the tooth.

3rd Soak a small cotton ball and in the Eugenol (Clove Oil) and use the tweezers to place over the damaged area. This is about 3 seconds of hell followed by the numbing of the area.

4th Wad up a small ball of the Temparin dental repair compound and pack it into the affected area and have the person gently bite down. Make sure you fill it very well, pack it a bit with the curved end of one of the dental tools. If there is a air pocket under it, it will not hold and will still be painful, especially when eating or drinking. If the tooth is broken, don't try to rebuild it totally, the filling will break off under stress, just rebuild it enough to cover and seal the broken area.

5th use the dental tools to shape the compound into the affected area where the filling is ever so lightly lower then the surrounding area to prevent it from being knocked out. Remove the excess filling, have person bite down to confirm that the bite is normal and the filling is not in the way.

6th place a moist cotton ball on top of the filling (if called for in the filling's instructions) the moisture helps several types of fillings set up. After about 30-45min, remove the cotton ball and replace with a few dry cotton balls for a hour or so until the material takes hold. After 3-4 hrs eating is possible again.

This will correct the problem till further help can be found, it's a temporary fix that if done properly and carefully can last up to 2 weeks.

where is a good place to get the tamparin max and the dental tools?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Osco Drugs, Longs Drug Stores..........You get the idea.....Look next to the toothache medications.
The Following User Says Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,896 Times in 6,167 Posts

Very good post!

Now I haven't seen that stuff sold here but maybe I can get it off the Internet... Hm.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Noob

One of the navy manuals I have read says pine sap on a broken tooth, helps. I don't know if it will work for lost fillings
Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Maximus

Thanked 14,493 Times in 6,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
*********** Highly Stress this point **********

It MUST be temporary. Like you said 2 weeks MAX, if you even make it 2 weeks. No matter how much you clean and sanitize, bacteria will get into that temp filling and will abscess and get infected if longer than that. Then you will be in a WORLD of Pain!!

I had one on for a week once, and I had to dig it out with an awl because the pain was so bad. It actually felt better with nothing in the hole where the filling fell out and just letting it air out and drain.