Survivalist Forum banner

best REASONABLY priced .357 self defense revolver

64K views 105 replies 47 participants last post by  Belair56 
#1 ·
looking for a revolver for self defense that is reliable. i want names. i want prices. i want reasons.

#6 ·
Most any of them are suitably reliable. Stay away from any of the J frame guns that aren't steel. Shooting them will not be pleasurable with any .357 round. Secondly, stainless steel handguns are easier to maintain than blued versions. Some favorites are:

Ruger SP-101: The king all snubbies. Nobody makes anything better or stronger. They are heavy, 5 shot .357's that can handle pretty much anything made in the chambering. Full length ejector rod is a huge plus for me. I don't mind the 5 shots but I demand a smooth reload and it isn't possible without complete ejection. This gun benefits considerably from an action job. They are accurate but harder to shoot with the fixed sights at ranges beyond close quarters. The Jet Loader is excellent but the $150 moon clip conversion is better, cheaper and more durable. New ones run $450-$550. Used ones for less money go very quick so don't hesitate.

Ruger GP-100. You will likely pay $400-$600 depending on new or used condition. It's the gold standard of durability and reliability in a .357 Magnum. The TALO Wiley Clapp version is as close to a perfect .357 magnum as has been made by a factory. $500 in custom work. Beautimus piece for a very fair price. They run about $750.

S&W 19/66 and 13/65: The K frame is considered by many to be the most comfortable of the carry .357's. They are not as strong as their L frame cousins but they carry beautifully. They are discontinued and getting more expensive every year. Expect to pay $500 for a good one.

S&W 686: not as durable as the GP-100 but much smoother action and it's user friendliness is better. Pricing is about the same, if a little higher. I have all their guns in the L frame and the standard 686 4" is the favorite. Very close in size to the GP-100. S&W does make it in a 7 shot. $700 new and maybe $450 for used ones. Pre-lock, hammer mounted pin models are desirable for their fit, finish and action.

S&W 28: The famous Highway Patrolman is a super strong, economical 357 mag that is big, heavy, accurate and durable. An excellent value and a relatively easy find for about $400, maybe slightly more for a very nice one. The 4" is the favorite.

The Colt Python is certainly an option but their rarity, sensitive action and absorbitant pricing makes them an impractical choice. They are smooth, accurate, classy, beautiful handguns, though. Expect to pay $2500 for a new one and no less than $1000 for anything in decent condition. Stainless 4" guns are getting rare.

In terms of a size efficient handgun, the 627 series from S&W is superb. These are 8 shot .357's that are already legendary for durability and reliability The frame is one size bigger the the GP-100 or 686 but you get two more rounds and better recoil control. Same size as a model 28 but and slightly lighter. Pro Series and Performance Center versions run from $700-$1200. They take speedloaders or moon clips. The Performance Center UDR version with 2 5/8" barrel is a bundle of comforting firepower.

Taurus makes several .357's but they are creeping up in price to the same level of the Ruger GP-100 and SP-101. The two names are simply not on the same level.

Keep something in mind. What you pay for a handgun will pale in comparison for what it costs to feed and train with it. Cry once, buy once.

#7 ·
Well "The best" would probably be an M&PR8 from S&W, 8 shots, moon clip reloads, lightweight scandium construction, and rails for mounting lights and optics if your lordship desires, the problem is that it's in the $1200-$1300 range and they can be a hassle to get ahold of.

If you are looking for a more basic service type revolver i recommend the 686. Ruger's GP100 is also a good gun but the ergonomics and the weight don't feel right for me (personal opinion) there are also some offerings from taurus which have excellent prices, but be warned that taurus has ha some quality control issues and the fit and finish on the gun doesn't tend to be as nice as rugers or s&ws

There are also smaller snubbie offerings from all three of these companies, each of which has some distinct advantages, he ruger sp101 has the strongest construction and mechanisms, but is the heaviest and leaves something to be desired in terms of feel (again opinion) the smith and wessons are quality pieces that feel about right to me but are the most expensive, and with money being an object taurus is worth a look, and while the finish on the tauruses leave room for improvement, and they can have some rough edges, they tend to be very reliable and functional and can sometimes sneak below the $400 mark.

If it were me and i had all the money in the world i'd go for the S&W M&PR8 and 649, but i would also recommend the 686 and taurus 651 as more cost effective alternatives, if more shots are your thing the taurus 608 packs an 8 shot cylinder just like the M&P but lacks the other bells and whistles

Hope you found this helpful and maybe opened up some more options

#13 ·
A Smith & Wesson or a Colt will have a better double action trigger than a Ruger. But you'll pay for that.

Single action pull on the Rugers are good though.
Think of the Ruger as being a Single Action with a swing out cylinder and you'll find them enjoyable.

The Security Six etc Rugers are probably one of the best deals right now in used quality revolvers. They don't have such a high following as S&W and are still readily available at affordable prices.

I've read on some other forums that Ruger still supports the Security Six but instead of repairing them they send out a GP100 in it's place. So warranty coverage is there but a little different way of going about it.

#16 ·
+10

The Ruger Security Six should never have been discontinued! It is an amazing wheelgun. It field strips with out any tools, just the rim of a cartridge. As a Police Department Armorer I give it straight A's. They are worth the price no matter what the cost is.

If anybody ever gets the cpmplete tour of a Security Six they will marry it. It does not have the miserable hammer follow of a Colt Python or the rolex fine interior movement of a S&W. The Security Six is like a Chevy on steroids!!!!

With any luck there is probably a youtube video on it.

Good luck,
Cliff

#23 ·
BIV, without you telling us what your idea of reasonably prices is all we can do is toss out guesses.

personally i own and carry everyting from taurus to ruger. 5 shot, 6 shot, and 8 shot. i am soon getting a 7 shot. my barrels range between 1 7/8 to 7 1/2
. all are carried.

#36 ·
About six years ago I was looking for a 4" 357 for general shooting for when I did not want to take out the 6" 686. So I picked up a Rossi 4" blue 357 and I am impressed with it considering what I paid for it, plus it's made in Brazil by Taurus and generally the Taurus guns were made better in Brazil.

#25 · (Edited)
Ruger handguns are hard to beat for strength and generally cost less than a similar S&W. I would buy a used Ruger before I would buy a used S&W for that reason, strength.

My personal choices are a Ruger GP-100 (3") especially the Wiley Clapp version, or if you can find one, a S&W Mdl. 13 or 65 (3"). The 13 is blue and the 65 is stainless, otherwise they are the same.

Lots of others out there but I don't know what you are willing to pay. What is reasonable for you might be cheap or expensive to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.