Survivalist Forum banner

How durable are hiking water filters?

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  fwshooter 
#1 ·
I plan to go on a extended hike (about 6 months) passing through towns for food and what ever else needed. Carrying water would be to much day in and day out. After reading lots of reviews of water filters Katadyn seems to be the most recommended. The only problem is from the the pictures on their website it looks entirely plastic. Would this or others hold up to every day use?

What are your experiences with hand pump water filters for everyday use, week hikes, or in general?

Ps. This site is awesome:)

#4 ·
If you peruse backpacking forums, you'll see plenty of folks that have had problems in the field with Katadyn, MSR, SteriPen, and most others. They have moving parts, seals, filters that need to be changed, batteries, etc.

That's why I like the Sawyer inline. Simple, effective, light, reliable, tough. Problems with them are nearly non existent.

Az

#5 ·
I think the Katadyn Pocket is probably the most durable. It is not plastic. It is made of Aluminium, stainless steel, silicone, and the filter is ceramic. Of course the ceramic filter is subject to breakage if dropped. It's a good idea to get a backup replacement.

With that said, the Pocket is very expensive. It has a lifetime guarantee. It is now retailing for $349.99. The manufacturer has set the price. It's almost impossible to sell at that price. I've got a discount coupon code for $50 off (PKTSVR) plus free shipping.

I've also got a large selection of Sawyer water treatment products for 20% off until tomorrow.
http://highwaterfilters.com

#8 ·
I think the Katadyn Pocket is probably the most durable. It is not plastic. It is made of Aluminium, stainless steel, silicone, and the filter is ceramic. ...
Well, the housing between the aluminum is made of plastic. The black (or blue/white) part of the unit.

I plan to go on a extended hike (about 6 months) passing through towns for food and what ever else needed. Carrying water would be to much day in and day out. After reading lots of reviews of water filters Katadyn seems to be the most recommended. The only problem is from the the pictures on their website it looks entirely plastic. Would this or others hold up to every day use?

What are your experiences with hand pump water filters for everyday use, week hikes, or in general?

Ps. This site is awesome:)
I have tried a lot of filters. It depends on the katadyn model. Katadyn pocket is at the top as far as durability goes. Just about any filter you purchase nowadays will last you 6 months. I did see someone break a MSR sweetwater though and a some housing cracks on the hiker. For the MSR it was user error but he did break the hinge off the pumping lever. So always have a backup.

I use mostly the Katadyn pocket filter for longer trips. I also carry the MSR Miox if I am in an area where viruses are a problem. I also carry a Sawyer inline for a backup.

Where are you going? That might help us give a better suggestion for your uses.

#6 ·
I like the MSR Hyperflow as a primary filter. $80. Makes 3 liters per minute. Tough as nails. Small size.

I like the Sawyer inline as a back-up. $30. Simple. Easy to use.

I have used the heck out of both and never broken them. usually have one on my person and one in the pack. Either will fit in the pocket of my cargo pants/shorts.

#7 ·
My Katadyn Hiker broke after using it bout three times. The little piece of plastic that connects the "in" tube to the body cracked. Katadyn had a new body to me about two days later.

If you read reviews of the Katadyn and MSR plastic filters, they seem to break or malfunction quite a bit. Both companies have good customer service though. Just make sure you have a backup system like the tablets.

#9 ·
AZB - Sawyer inline huh? Haven't herd of them will definitely check into it though. I've got a while before leaving. Finding the best gear at affordable prices is my main goal at this point.

Highwater - Well like you said that is quite expensive even with the $50 dollar discount.

Tango2Echo - MSR is another one that seems to get mentioned a lot. $80 is a descent price to.

Thanks for your comments and advise everyone. You don't know how helpful you've been. I'll surely check into the different filters mentioned here.

One other thing does this site allow thread blogs/journals? I'd like to document the journey or at least as much of it as possible. It would double as a place for family to check in and what not.

Has anyone done such a thing for an extended trip?

#14 ·
AZB - Sawyer inline huh? Haven't herd of them will definitely check into it though. I've got a while before leaving. Finding the best gear at affordable prices is my main goal at this point.

Highwater - Well like you said that is quite expensive even with the $50 dollar discount.
John, I totally know what you mean about the price of the Pockets. It's a testament to their design and reliability that many still insist on nothing else
I've got the Sawyer Inline on sale for $44.79 until tomorrow. You probably won't find it cheaper. Go here.

#12 ·
Vicdotcom - The plan is to take a bus from maine down to southern Georgia this winter then hike west staying at primitive camping grounds or near water sources when possible along the southern coast. A rout hasn't been planned yet though. As you can see still gathering supply's.

Technically it's not a hike because there will be a lot of road travel.

#16 ·
...What would be the best product for $100-150 range?

Ok well perfect. That is great info. So viruses won't be a problem. Water sources will be relatively clear. If not, then you can use a pre-filter over the input hoses like a bandanna or something to make your filters work less. You aren't doing a thru-hike so weight is not to much of a concern either.

The Katadyn Hiker and a Sawyer inline filter would be my suggestions. Having both would still keep you in the 100-150$ price range. Sawyer would be best primary if you are using a hydration bladder and the hiker as a backup. If using bottles, I would use the hiker as the primary and the sawyer as the backup. But having both is would be good in case one fails.

#20 ·
I'd say that they are pretty damn durable. I do however stay away from ceramic filters because they are less durable. I've been on trips where buddies have dropped their ceramic and been without a filter of their own for the duration of the trip. Thank god there are always 2 or more filters in a group.

All that being said, that is why we bring along tablets and other methods of filtering water for drinking...

I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro, and the MSR Sweetwater. I would recommend both. The price that Highwater has listed on the InLine is a great one. I've had trouble finding them under 50 in most cases, and the InLine is probably the most versatile unit on the market right now in my opinion. It's actually the next filter on my list to get.

#21 ·
I'd say that they are pretty damn durable. I do however stay away from ceramic filters because they are less durable. I've been on trips where buddies have dropped their ceramic and been without a filter of their own for the duration of the trip. Thank god there are always 2 or more filters in a group.

All that being said, that is why we bring along tablets and other methods of filtering water for drinking...
Which non ceramic is your favorite? I'll be sure to have tablets for double backup as well.

#26 ·
John, if you need to wait until payday, I will offer you the 20% off price on the Sawyer inline when you get paid. I'll have to create a discount code for you. Just email me when you want to purchase. I have lots of Hikers and plenty of Hiker Pros. I only have 3 of the inlines in stock so I think I'll order more today.

You can email me hear or contact me through my website. Or info@highwaterfilters.com

Sounds like a trip you will never forget. I think you are smart to travel with a filter. I have too many memories of getting diarhea on the road. Not the kind of memories you are probably hoping for. ;)

#27 ·
Incidently John, I just read in my local paper that a local musician is making a 2000 mile trek from Spokane to Nashville starting Aug 1. He is raising money for the Wishing Star Foundation and trying to promote his music.

There was a photo with the article and the 54 year old musician was shown with two guys who were going to help him during his walk by preceding him and publicizing his walk. They are bringing one of the guys "rescue dog" boxer along too.

I am highly suspicious because at least one of the guys is a neighbor who lives across the alley from me and they are the neighbors from hell. They leave dogs tied up for hours (36) on end (although those dogs have been taken away), one of them rode a motorcycle right into my garden and they ride it up and down the alley for hours just for fun, they drive a little remote control car that has a high pitched whirring sound at odd hours, and they seem to have an awfully lot of time on their hands. I won't go into my suspicions.

Most of the problems have subsided recently, so I'm not sure what's up.

I thought it was interesting when I read about the guys plans.

Are you raising any money or have a cause you are trying to draw attention to?

#29 ·
Well, I guess if you have a charity that you like, you can contact them. They may be able to help. But go to charitynavigator.org to check them out first. There are good charities, better charities and downright bad ones. I just checked out Wishing Star and they have a very poor rating.

A lot of people who walk or ride for a cause arrange for publicity ahead of time and meet with local media along the way to tell about why they are walking. You can set up a fund at a bank or maybe the charity can set it up. You could also collect pledges from people ahead of time to donate so much per mile you walk.

#31 ·
I have a MSR SweetWater and love it. One of my favorites and it is cheap.

I also carry tablets and a small vial of bleach.

Figured with my backpack stove and metal cup I have 4 ways to purify water.

As far as purifiers you will never find one that people agree on. I was torn between the MSR and the Katadyn and the only difference I got a great deal on.

#32 ·
The other thing is virus protection is heavily pushed but reading it is not a huge deal in North America. I have friends who have used non-virus filters in 3rd world countries and never got sick.

I did pick up a vial of the MSR virus stuff for like 10 bucks as a just in case but I have yet to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.