Survivalist Forum banner

Can anyone here speak a language other than English or Spanish

10K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  goat daddy 
#1 ·
I want to teach my dog commands in another language.
The basics and a little extra.
No, stop, heel, come here, OK, get him, play, food, water, ride, treat, right, left, search, go, fetch, listen and a few others I have forgotten.
Anyone have time to indulge an old woman's whims?
Thanks

Have a blessed day

#3 ·
How about Hungarian - only 12m speakers worldwide so most people won't have a clue what you are saying.

This page has pretty much all the commands you will need (and the English translations). To pronounce them properly I would suggest putting them into google translate and hitting the speak button as they pronounce their a's like o's etc

http://www.pumi.org/abc/parancsok/parancsok.html

#6 ·
No, stop, heel, come here, OK, get him, play, food, water, ride, treat, right, left, search, go, fetch, listen
I don't think french is going to be that crash hot because it's not very consonant-y. eg water = eau (pron. oh) But you never know.

Non, arrete! a moi! or maybe viens ici! (vyen eesee) d'accord, (daccor) attaque! joue! (joo) "nourriture" sounds nnng. perhaps 'a manger'? (pron: ah monjay) Eau (oh) or maybe 'a boire' (ah bwar, "something to drink") tour, un regal is a treat, droit, gauche, trouve! va t'en! I don't know what you'd say for fetch. Get? 'obtiens!' Listen is 'ecoute!'

So that's a bit weird. I think Junglecrawler's right: german's better. I don't speak russian but that would be cool.

German would be Nein! Halt! Komm Hier! OK! Kapier ihn (?) Spiel! Zum Essen! Wasser! Fahrt is a ride :D: in so many ways! (Although in singular it's only fahre, it's probably worth getting a few dogs just to be able to say it)

A treat is a Genuss, rechts, links, suche, gehen is to go, so maybe 'geh, doch', holen is to fetch, so hole! hole es mir! (bring it to me) hoeren is to hear or listen, so 'hoere!' is 'listen!' (Not very punchy.)

good luck anyway. Someone will come along and give you the italian or the scandinavian next. :D: And probably correct my ghastly schoolgirl french and german. :p

#8 ·
I would suggest a local dialect of a language. If your Caucasian, use an Asian language, if your Asian, use a Scandinavian language, you get the idea. Most languages, especially Asian languages have dialects. You can go to one village in the Fujian province of China, 10 clicks down the road there would a be totally different dialect.

Reactions: RustyNurse
#12 ·
Trux,
I was just thinking. If Hubby is gone or heaven forbid died. I would have a guard dog and I would like to talk to the dog, without someone I was suspicious of, knowing what I was telling the dog to do.

It works both ways too, one time a large dog started to attack my cocker while on a walk. I yelled NO, NO just as loud as I could and it stopped the other dog from attacking mine.

Have a blessed day

#13 ·
Trux,
. I would have a guard dog and I would like to talk to the dog, ....
Well 12 gauge shotguns don't need to be trained to poop outside nor taught commands... Just saying :D:

Still, I speak and can read 3 languages and Google does okish with 1 word translations. So doggie commands are usually going to be 1 or two word commands. Sentence structure wont matter.

Or you can invent your own hybrid pidgin language. :upsidedown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanagalo

#15 ·
Ok, I speak some Cherokee. Now, Ive written them phonetically, but its been a long time since I had to speak it regularly, so its from memory. The "sss" is a shortened "s" sound. Cherokee doesnt use the lips when speaking. We use the tongue, teeth, and throat. That is, if you want to pronounce them correctly. But, honestly, you really dont need to. As long as the dog understands your commands, who is to know? lol

No- Tla (tlah)

Stop- Ha-le (Hah-leh)

Heel- tli-s-di (Tle-sss-te)

Come here- ga-lu-tsv (gah-loo-tsu (the tsu is pronounce very close to a j, but almost like "joo or zoo"...soft j) It just means "come".

OK- e-qua (i-kwah)

Get him- di-gi-ti-lv-s-di (Degee-tee-lu-sss-dee)

Play- di-ne-lo-di (Teh-ni-loo-teh)

Food- a-li-s (ah-le-sss)

Water- e-ma (i-mah)

Ride- a-gi-lv-di (ah-gee-loo-tee)

Treat- a-da-ne-di (ah-dah-ni-tee) Actually means gift. The word for treat is a verb.

Right- du-yu-go-dv (tu-yoo-joo-tv)

Left- a-ga-s-ga-ni (ah-gay-sss-gay-nee)

Search- a-ya-s-di (ah-yay-sss-tee)

Go- a-ne-ga (Ah-Ni-Gah)

Fetch- hi-ga (he-gah) Actually means "get".

Listen- a-dv-gi (ah-tu-jee)

And less than 100k people will know what youre saying. lol

#17 ·
Many commercially trained dogs (K-9, etc) use European language commands, because for some reason, I guess we think they do a better job than US trainers. It has nothing to do with "hiding" the commands, its just the language the trainer knows.

But here's the thing...the dog doesn't know its a language.

You can use any word or sound you want, and if you train the dog to do "X" when you say it, the dog will know that sound as the command to do "X".

Literally, you can say the letter "X" and if the dog is trained that this means sit, it will sit. Or you could say "Oof", or even make a raspberry sound with your lips. The meaning of the word means nothing to the dog, except what you teach it.

Wanna have fun? Teach your dog that "Sit" means "Come", or that "Heel" means "Sit". It will drive people crazy.

You can use nonsense words or sounds. Shepherds use whistles and/or words. You can use some hand signals too.

Just be consistent.:thumb:

#18 ·
Our dog for some reason will respond to commands in german.left,right,come,stay,no.
she was from a no kill shelter and we adopted her.nobody ever spoke german to her before as far as we know.I also trained her to understand hand commands,and mushing commands.pretty smart girl I have to say.lab/border collie mix.

Another language or hand signals would be a plus.

#20 ·
I've used hand signals for silently tracking trespassers as well as sounds that would sound natural in the woods both worked well.

For focusing my dogs attention on something they need to watch or even aggress I hiss air past my teeth. I can tell them to sit/stay, but done so with a hiss winds them like a spring ready to go.

I also when around cities/towns use words that are not standard fare, but command the dogs to do what I want. The biggest thing is you have to be able to do so without fail even while being attacked or in the middle of a dog fight.

SD

#22 ·
German all the way. Words are short, clear and to the point. Well bred and trained German Shepards used as police dogs are naturally trained using German. Once here their new masters and partners continue the training using the German they are familiar with. Obviously staying with the German helps prevent confusion but also unless you are also speaking German in conversation the comands are clear and not misunderstood.

#24 ·
I speak some computerese, and am fluent in Mule and Border Collie.

German commands are traditional for dogs.

I was elk hunting in Idaho one afternoon, riding out with a friend. We passed a sheep camp and 5 black and white dogs ran out and started barking and nipping at our horses. I could not get them to back off until I yelled "Vamanos."

#25 ·
:D: I can speak German, but my German Shepherd only understands English!

People ask me all the time why I didn't teach her the commands in German. I tell them she needs to understand English same as the rest of the people ( and dogs) should in this country ;)

No nein or nicht depending on how you use it
stop halt
heel Fuss

come here komm

OK gut

get him fass

, play spielen

, food Fressen

water Wasser

ride ( depends on what exactly you mean)

treat hmmm, not sure

right rechts

left links
search such

go geh

fetch hols

listen pass auf

but you won't know how to pronounce them correctly...

Good luck

#26 ·
Years ago I could hold a conversation in Russian and polish, now I can get the gist of what is being said but have a difficult time thinking in those languages. It's been so long I'd be lucky to successfully order a beer, and that's the last thing my dog needs to learn. ;)

On topic, I'm not sure about the current, but years ago k9 units in my area used German strictly with their dogs. I've thought several times that Scottish Gaelic or Nordic would be fun, but my dog already believes I'm nuts. No need to confirm that theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.