Survivalist Forum banner
35K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  txrok 
#1 ·
I have a question about storing canned food underground. I live in central Florida and had the idea to bury a deep freezer and seal the lid to keep some of my canned food. What are your thoughts on this. What about the winter is it cold enough to bust the cans? What about condensation? What about the Florida heat? This is my first time posting any ideas will be helpfull.

#2 ·
How cold do your winter's get? A freezer has insulation in it and so does the ground. If you put a layer of 1 or 2 inch ridged insulation on top of that with something to weight it down I would think it would survive a mild winter. If you get a deep freeze where it gets down to below zero F for several nights in a row then you might have problems, but the ground can keep an area insulated from 20 to 50 degrees warmer (or cooler) than it is up top. So do you have a whole lot of below 10 degree F winter nights? If you do you might have to put more insulation around it plus bury it a bit deeper. Ten feet down with something to block the outside air from coming down keeps my unheated roots cellars between 45 and 55 degrees all year long no matter how cold or hot it gets.

#6 ·
Being from Florida (and familiar with the central florida topography) I would also say that freezing below the surface won't be a problem at all, even in most of northern Florida. The biggest problem you will have is moisture and water. Many wells in this area are only dug to about 40 feet-like mine. Thus, if you dig too deep water will be a huge problem. Also, a freezer, being mostly metal, may rust in a little over a year due to the sandy soil and the rainy season.

I personally wouldn't use a freezer but would try some other plastic container that is well sealed--to block out moisture, and oxygen absorbers. I must admit I am new to using oxygen absorbers so I can only assume they will work. Well now you got me thinking, now I am thinking about burying something in the yard just to test it out. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

#31 ·
hi there.
i live in australia and i want to bury some plastic large barrel type drums with screw top lids underground,,they are one mitre high and about 2 feet around the centre and become more narrower at the top,the opening is about one and a half feet around.
they are seconds because they were used to store olives in.
heres my problem.
i have tinned food and hydrated food ,plus flour,corn,salt,honey.powered milk and rice....also long life seeds.
i dont know what to do about moisture...over time moisture will get in...how do i stop that.
the containers will be one mitre below the ground and soil will be placed on top of them.
i look forward to your answer.

#9 ·
Here in the Rocky Mountains and on my mtn retreat I have had many cans of food become froze solid when I have left them up there for a year or two. And the metal cans never break. Glass jars and most glass containers will break as I have sadly found out. Plastic jars will not break when frozen either.

One has to have a well sealed and deep underground shelter for the temperature to remain fifty degrees or so year round. I have experience with that also....

#19 ·
I live in a cold climate and I can tell you that once you get below the frost line, even frigid cold temperatures don't matter. The water and sewage lines here are buried at least 4 to 5 feet underground and are unaffected by the cold or heat. Temperatures in the winter can get down to -40 F.

#27 ·
I too live in central FL.
Was thinking about using an underground septic tank for storage.
there are 2 types I am considering. Concrete & poly tanks.
Both tanks would be water tight - assuming you seal the top manway and plug the inlet/outlet ports.
The concrete would solve the buoyancy problems with our higher water table. but would require some type of crane / large tractor to set. Could get a septic contractor to set with thier rig for a fee I suppose.
I doubt either would ever leak (assuming good seals on ports/manways) and would probably outlast us.

one issue I see is easy access since these tanks typically only have a 24" manway.
However, since I would only be going "in" the tank to place the items and not accessing it everyday it shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, moisture/condensation may be an issue??
once the tank is full of stored items, i could purge the air with a dry nitrogen bottle and then seal it. this would eliminate the O2.

anyone ever stored food this way?

#28 ·
If its canned goods you are stashing underground, make sure your container is absolutely sealed for if condensation gets inside, you might one day open up your stash to find all of the labels at the bottom of the container and you now have a chest freezer full of mystery meals. Mark the tops with a sharpie unless you are a happy go lucky kinda guy and love suprises.

#29 ·
I tend to disagree with the rest about storing food (IN FLORIDA) underground. In the winter you shouldn't have a problem, in the summer this might not be a good idea. Are you planning on running the freezer? Are you going to build a cellar around it? If you just plan on digging a hole and lowering the freezer into it, you would have a big problem with rust and the freezer needs to breath and vent. Did you ever consider building a small storage area in you attic? You can build a small closet and install a small A/C unit and keep the temp set at whatever you wish..Or you could even build a small shed on the side of your house (with a small AC unit running.) If you run your tap water for a few minutes and take a temperature reading, this would give you a good idea of what your ground temp is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.