Survivalist Forum banner

Pre 1982 pennies are worth 2.2 cents

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DBR 
#1 ·
Over the past 10 years I have collected pre 1982 pennies because I heard they are actually worth more because of their copper content. Today I went to Coinflation.com and they are actually worth 2.23 cents per according to the website. My question is, (does anyone have an idea of what can I do with them to get the double value). We're talking over 100 pounds of pennies that I have been dragging around and I'd be at a coinstar for hours.

#4 ·
I think they went to copper coated zinc after pure copper and then the cost of zinc went up so the modified pennies were once again worth more as scrap than as face value coins.

As far as them making laws to protect their fiat-racket, doesn't surprise me either. It's supposed to be your money, right? I guess it isn't if you cannot sell it!

When I was a Courier, this happened about eleven years ago, I had to take a bunch of (Greenspan's, yes, literally...) paperwork from D.C. to Baltimore's FRB and when I was let through the gate and drove around the back, officials for the FRB were destroying bills. They had a stack a little bit larger than a standard briefcase and approximately two and one half feet tall and it looked like they lit it up with some type of magnesium incendiary, it was gone in seconds. I figured they had a crematorium-like oven for that sort of thing and I guess they probably do in some areas when they have to get rid of massive amounts of money. But they sure lit a pile of it up that night. I was quite shocked, actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.