Survivalist Forum banner

Water storage - $25 for a 55-gal foodgrade plastic barrel a good price?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  WldWldWest 
#1 ·
Saw an ad in my local Craigslist for 55 gallon foodgrade plastic barrels for $25 ea. If you buy 15 or more, they'll give you wholesale prices (haven't called them yet, so I don't know what the wholesale price is).

Is this a good price?

They alo have:
5 gal - $5
15 gal - $15
30 gal - $20
60 gal - $30

#2 ·
I have a line on two places locally where I can get 55's for $10. $25 isn't bad, better than some ads I've seen, but not the cheapest you can find them. if you have a local soda bottling plant try there, their flavoring syrups come in 55's and they often sell them cheap or give them away when they're empty, or at least they used to.

#7 ·
I see them advertised for that price all the time around here. I plan to pick up 3-4 in the coming weeks. I wish I could find some for $10 as some people on here have but so far all the ones locally I've seen for under $25 are not food grade. Might have to call the local Coke plant as someone mentioned though.

#10 ·
25 seems a little steep to me, You can find em for (55gal) 13 here on CL or hit a drink bottler and get em for free! I keep 4 filled all the time and rotate the water every 6 months, I also have 10 under the deck washed out and ready to fill at a moments notice. I also made rain barrels out of 4 more and use 2 of them constantly on the back side of my house and keep the other 2 under the deck as well. (The wife wont let me put em on the front of the house!)

#12 ·
(The wife wont let me put em on the front of the house!)
I wonder why... hehehehe

You could make a cute box out of lattace?? to go around it. Then plant some kind of flowering vines around the bottom to climb up it to make it look pretty.

My 5 year old and I planted sweet peas from seeds and they grew like crazy. I've seen a pretty vine with beautiful purple flowers covering the side of a garage, not sure what they are called though.

Local we can buy 55 barrels that held car wash soap for $20. If you want to drive 40 miles and have a way to haul them. I've seen them for $15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.