Survivalist Forum banner

Root cellar pests

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hbillyjim 
#1 ·
I am working on my first veggie garden this year and have been thinking about what to do with my harvest. I was planning on trying some canning but after reading a book on root cellars, that sounds like a good idea also. I was thinking either later this year or depending how much I have on my plate maybe next. I was wondering how many of you have one? A concern I have is pests. Even with covering the air vents, you still would be going in and out the door. Are insects a major problem? How about rodents? Something I have even more concerns about are black bears that like to hang around here. I've seen them do some pretty incredible things to get food. I guess I could could put electric fence up around it, but what if the power goes out or a SHTF situation where there is no power for extended periods of time? I have had situations already where I heard something banging around on our front screened in porch, in the middle of the night, only to find a black bear helping himself to a crate of apples only a few feet away. I would hate to corner one of these guys in a root cellar even with a gun in my hands. Do any of you have any issues like these happen to you?

#2 ·
I have had a root celler for about 10 years. I have a good metal front door that is sealed. The vent hole is sealed with bug screen as is the water drain. The entire enclosure from floor to ceiling is concrete. I also place bay leaves here n there for good measure. Keep it sealed, keep it dry, keep it closed.

#3 ·
Root cellars are good for much more than "just" storage. Also good as storm/tornado shelters and even a fallout shelter if 3 or more feet of dirt on top.

I have an underground shelter that I mainly use for storage such as for canned goods, guns wrapped in plastic etc. etc. I call it a deep underground cabin/bunker.

I should try to seal it more perfectly for rodents, especially mice can get in. But I mainly have canned food and nothing that rodents can get into.

For any who might like to see pics here are the two main threads with much description also > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=52880

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=42447

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.