Survivalist Forum banner

Need advice for pests

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Glock755 
#1 ·
I have a friend living in the country that is having a problem with a pack of dogs invading her property (aprox 12) and fighting her 3 dogs. Her dogs have sustained injuries that require vet care and she's fed up. Her dogs are terrified of these invaders.

What type of weapon would be most effective to scare these dogs off without being lethal or causing serious injury?

Many thanks to all!
Angie

#2 ·
Could use perimeter pest control devices, the quarter sticks that farmers rig to corn to go off when crows try to eat the corn. A paintball marker would get her message across.

BTW, I appreciate that you looking to take care of the problem without killing/seriously injuring these dogs. Most of the time these animals are the result of bad owners or have been abandoned and they regress back to their wild state.

Thanks ;)

btw I am not a wishy washy animal rights type person, I just have a serious problem with shooting dogs :D They are my one caveat on the matter ;)

#3 ·
Well, we're both animal lovers but the situation is getting out of hand. She hasn't spoken to the neighbors yet (she can't get close enough to do it). Chances are they'll be sympathetic but it's highly doubtful they can afford to contain them.

We thought about an air rifle. Would sting but they don't seem to be very loud.

#4 ·
If you know whose dogs they are the best non lethalweapon would be a lawyer. Here dogs harassing livestock can be shot on sight, we never really have much of a problem... I've used m-80's and a slingshot with success to discourage similar pests, both 2 legged and 4.

#6 ·
This is a very poor and isolated area. No money for an attorney and it would be the proverbial squeezing blood from a turnip anyway.

I believe she can legally shoot them but as I said, it's just not an option in her mind (but it could become one if we can't solve the problem).

#10 ·
I would recommend making some non-lethal shotgun ammo in whatever gauge you have available.

Take a few unfired shotshells and open up the end. Remove the solid shot and replace it with peppercorns, rock salt, or other improvised brittle material. (Peppercorns work very well) Then reseal the end of the shell with beeswax or by refolding and hot-gluing.

These will only inflict pain/damage from closer ranges, but the sound alone should work well as a deterrent for the errant canines even past the range of the non-lethal shot.

Kudos on not just blasting them, but if they continue to harm her dogs, she should take necessary steps to protect them and herself.

#12 ·
Fire a shotgun off in the air, if they come back again then she will know what to do with the shot gun. As economic times get harder people will dump there dogs and they will packup, when dogs pack it can get extremely dangerous fast. here we shoot dog pack to protect livestock and people.

#17 ·
Question: Are these feral animals or just a pack of friends getting together to terrorize the neighbourhood--are they owned by anyone?

Call the police/dog catchers/pound/ASPCA and have them picked up...Are there leash laws in your part of the country on a county level? Take video of the dogs for identification purposes and give a copy to the police/pound personnel and let them have at it...

If they are feral, then the only thing to do is kill them...If they belong to someone, then it's their responsibility to control them and if they threaten livestock, pets or humans, regardless they should be taken away...

There is a beach resort not far from my home and people are always "forgetting" their dogs behind at the end of the summer season, they of course do what they have to do to survive, gang up and attack the weak...It's not their fault, as mentioned it's the owners, but if you can't find them and the dogs are a menace what are you going to do?

They've gone wild, there is no turning back, they have to be destroyed...

If they attack and hurt anyone or livestock and you know the owners the owners can and should be sued, the animal taken away and maybe put down...What would happen to her dogs if they attacked the neighbour's kid(s)? Why should the owners of the pack get off any differently!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.