Survivalist Forum banner

Squirrels & other pests?

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  bjs1955 
#1 ·
Who knows why but we have an over abundance of squirrels, rabbits and chipmonks here. Hope this is the right forum. Anyone know of a good method to eradicate these pests. I really don't want to just kill them but they gotta go!

#3 ·
add some nice homemade gravy and put them in mason jar (sealed up proper of course) and set em on the shelf for when ya need em....

#10 ·
Rabbits can be quite tasty. Squirrels, possums I don't care for much.

I have killed many critters on my property over the years. I didn't eat many of them. If they are that much of a nuisance, use any means necessary to get rid of them, and don't feel bad about it. Squirrels and chipmunks are not an endangered species.

#12 ·
When my mother had a family of squirrels living in her attick I trapped them and relocated them .
It was easy . I bought a live trap cage (about $40). I think they call them "have a heart" traps . The exterminator my mother called at first wanted $400 to trap the squirrels and said it might take months to get them all = rediculous !
If you buy one of the traps get a large one (raccoon size) . The squirrels would not enter a small trap I borrowed .
I left a trail of peanut butter and crackers into the trap . Every day I caught one = 5 of them . Funny thing - one day when I went over there to remove a caught squirrel and reset the trap . A hawk swooped into the yard and took care of one of the squirrel family .
I'm sure with the propper bait the trap would work on rabbits too . Chipmonks would probably be harder to catch . Maybe set up a small trap at the entrance of one of their burrow holes . But I don't consider chipmonks to be much of a nuisance or very destructive like rabbits or squirrels can be .

#13 ·
First, create a Rue.....

Seriously though, like many have said, they are not endagngered species, and breed like, well crazy..so, go get your pellet gun, and take em out...

Maybe you might not like to eat em, but a neighbor/friend?

Personally, i'd kill em, eat some and freeze and/or can em......

#15 ·
Who knows why but we have an over abundance of squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks here. Hope this is the right forum. Anyone know of a good method to eradicate these pests. I really don't want to just kill them but they gotta go!
Why are they "pests", unless they're in your house, or in your food or water,
or something?

I mean, they can't even vote for liberals, for pete's sake...

#18 ·
The only animals I ever really had trouble with in town was skunks.... Live trap idea works great until you get to skunks.... They are very easy to trap, not so easy to figure out how to get them out... without stinking for a week anyway....

My entire yard and house, truck, everything stunk of skunk for over a month....

#21 ·
Chipmunks are very bad about chewing insulation off wiring....worse than squirrels or rats. They also can burrow under a foundation that could cause cracks. Ive trapped tons of them but i use poison nowdays. I buy the rat poison from the feed store and mix it with peanut butter or chipmunks wont eat it. I built bait pods from pvc pipe. I can use smaller pipe to keep out squirrels but let rats and chips get to the bait or 3" so the squirrels can get to it as well but keep out cats and dogs. The poison and peanut butter mix will work on chips, rats, or squirrels but you have to use the pipe to restrict the size animals that can reach it. Pets and other critters will go for the peanut butter to.

If they are over populated or pest and not protected by laws, there should be no reason to feel bad cause you didnt eat em? No different than killing bugs, snakes, or any other pest. Re-introducing predators is a stupid idea and also illegal. Re-locating could be an option but check the laws...i can re-locate certain animals here but there are restrictions such as not crossing a major river. Some animals are highly illegal to re-locate and have to be killed before they leave the property. It has to do with spreading disease, introducing non-natives critters, and other stuff the biologist come up with.

#23 ·
I built bait pods from pvc pipe. I can use smaller pipe to keep out squirrels but let rats and chips get to the bait or 3" so the squirrels can get to it as well but keep out cats and dogs.
Won't work.

The mouse/squirrel/rat will consume the poison, but it will not die
immediately. It will come out where a cat will catch it and eat it and die.

Very slowly. Under your house. Crying its heart out. In the middle of
the night.

#24 ·
Hello, I trap commercially in several states thru winter, and do ADC work in the off season. Put a tarp or canvas over the live trap and fasten to the bottom edges with hog rings, or wire. It will stay permently. Cut the rear of trap canvas, and the front where door is, where they can be folded back and lay on top of the trap. The entire trap is covered except the bottom, with the front and rear having the flaps. Set a can of cat food in trap, lay flaps back on top, and when you get the skunk calmly go to trap while making noise,( talking, or whistling ) so it knows your there, and slowly let the flaps down so to completely cover the trap. You can then safely pick the trap up, set it in the pickup, and then go submerge the trap in a tank or pond, completely submerged. The skunk will not spray while carrying, driving, or putting it in the water, or afterwards when it's removed. Call a trap supply dealer who makes lures,( kaatzbros.com ), and they will purchase the entire skunk,( froze ), or the essence.You can remove it with a syringe and put it in glass wiskey bottles so not to contaminate the essence. It will bring $10.00 to $15.00 an ounce cash. A full 1/5th wiskey bottle brings alot of money. I usually sell a couple thousand dollars worth a season. Pays my fuel bill for a trapping season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.