Survivalist Forum banner

the last of the cheap surplus rifles

32K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  fido0311 
#1 ·
my question is do you think/know if the mosin nagant and its ammo is the last cheap surplus rifle/ammo well see on the us market in our lifetimes....im reading stories how sks used to be $100 and 7.62 was way cheap too. i know 5.45x39 is still really cheap.... so does anybody know if we have some cheap rifles/ammo coming our way?

#2 ·
I don't think so. I doubt we will ever see another batch as cheap. But there are still stockpiles of old rifles still all over the country. I bought a Chinese SKS for 89 dollars when they hit the market.

#5 ·
"Luv me sum" Mosins. Really do not know how many i have scattered around. Have 4 or 5 that are unfired--as yet. My rotator cuff is giving me a fit so do not want to abuse it with that sturdy recoil. Fired an 8mm Mauser last month and wish I had not. On a side note: what other investment can you have that is guaranteed to grow in value, and possibly exponentially. What would a sheeple pay/give/trade for an old rifle and 100 (or less) rounds of ammo?

#8 ·
Can't think of any rifles made in the kind of quantities needed that will even hit the civilian market. Military wise they have surplused everything that could be sold to civilians. Everything made in the last 40 years has been an AK or M-16, or similar. AKs would still need to be cut up and imported as parts, they aren't cheap anymore. M-16s they run em into the ground for the most part. I don't see surplus L85s or other true assault rifles ever hitting the market.

We once thought SKS rifles came from this bottomless warehouse somewhere and they would never run out, same with Mausers. There still seem to be plenty of crates of Mosins out there, but apparently the demand is so high they even going to continue making them, so maybe they will be never ending.

#9 ·
Nah, 200 years from now when the military is running around shooting plasma rifles I figure there will be plenty of M-4s on the market, though ammo may not be as cheap.

Truthfully, I cant imagine anything that would qualify. Sure, theres millions of AKs out there but the way the government is going about limiting their import I doubt we will ever see a market flooded with them like we did the SKS in the mid 90s.

As it was explained to me when I bought my SKS for $80 in '94 there were 1M of them sitting in cargo boxes waiting to clear customs. Thats how they got past the Brady Bill(?) limits. Once that number started falling, the price started rising. I was told the price was going to go up back then, though I didnt expect to see $400 price tags.

When I become President Im going to kick out anything that even smells like a gun law. Class III? HA!! 10 year olds will be able to buy a SAW. Magazine limits? Screw that, 12 gauges will be sold at Walmart with drum mags for bird hunting. Concealed weapons permits? Eh eh, its going to look like the wild west, only the Peacemakers will be replaced with extended mag automatics.

Reckon I would ever make it?:upsidedown:

#10 ·
When I become President Im going to kick out anything that even smells like a gun law. Class III? HA!! 10 year olds will be able to buy a SAW. Magazine limits? Screw that, 12 gauges will be sold at Walmart with drum mags for bird hunting. Concealed weapons permits? Eh eh, its going to look like the wild west, only the Peacemakers will be replaced with extended mag automatics.

Reckon I would ever make it?:upsidedown:
You have my and Mrs Cricket's vote. :thumb:

#15 ·
Here's prices I remember at gunshows YEARS ago.

SKS - $49.00

Enfield 303 - $59.00

M-1 Carbine - $99.00

M-1 Garand - $129.00

Bought me a British Enfield once and then an M-1 Carbine. Never did get a Garand. Kicking myself hard. 25 years ago they used to throw military surplus rifles in big cardboard 55 gallon drums and sell them off. Wasn't fond of the SKS at the time. Still...

Back in 1990 or 1991 I bought a brand new Norinco MAK-90, matching AK-47 wood and a 1000 rounds of ammo from a dealer called "Classic Arms" from Monroe, NC at a gunshow. Now the ammo was some weird wood-core bullet, but fired well. It was cheap ammo. The whole thing was $200.00 cash.

#16 ·
I doubt most would even want an M-4 that the military had. The rifles we had in the marines back in the late 80s early 90s, were pitiful. They swapped parts in them to keep them going until they were pretty much junk. Yea you can change the barrel, but there comes a point where the receiver will be out of spec and junk. Often times it seemed we cleaned them to death.

Now plenty of those SKS rifles we bought may have never even been used. The yugo M48 I bought didn't seem like it had ever even been issued or taken out of the crate. This is versus some M-4 thats had 100,000 rounds thru it, and all the finish is completely gone.

#20 ·
This really sucks for younger folks like me. I am in my early 20s and just now really getting into buying guns. I paid about $325 for my sks and to me that was good compared to what i paid for my AR, which i sold to purchase 2 other rifles with money left over. I also just bought a mosin. Considering buying more. people say they wont ever be worth alot but isnt that what the older guys thought about the 89 dollar sks that has over tripled in value. I wish I made enough money to stock up on surplus items. for now though, its buying a coupe boxes of ammo at a time and saving for a new gun every few months. I will never have it like the good ol boys.

#21 ·
In the late 90's a guy sold me a matching russian sks with all the extras for a whopping $50. Closest thing I've found to it now is over $400. Don't think I can ever stop kicking myself for selling that one. In my opinion, buy, buy, buy, all the mil surp you can afford. Worst thing that could happen is you break even down the road, and i think thats unlikely. Am I wrong, or weren't the mosins like $50 a few years back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.