Survivalist Forum banner

Snake most likely to put you in a coffin?

• Cottonmouth

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Copperhead

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Rattlesnake

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Coral Snake

Votes: 31 29.8%

Snake most likely to put you in a coffin?

17K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  shotgun12 
#1 ·
Just thought up this poll after seeing this vid....

#4 ·
a coral snakes venom is indeed very deadly but it is a rear fanged snake, very shy and unless you are a frequent diver the odds of you encountering one and then being bitten are incredibly low.

#5 ·
Most likely or with the most toxic venom? Coral snakes are elapids, related to cobras, and have neurotoxic venom. They don't have the "hypodermic" fangs but instead have grooves in their rear teeth that venom runs down. Also have small mouths, and are much less common. We are awash in copperheads here; not recommended but my daughters are so used to them that they just stomp on them anymore (they are into horses, and always wearing boots). A copperhead bite may make you very ill, but is much less likely to kill you than a rattler. And it also greatly depends upon the type of rattler...the mojave is the worst of all worlds, if I recall correctly...its venom has both neurotoxic and hemotoxic properties. Rattlers also have a big strike zone. Another thing...the prevalence of wild pigs, which find snakes to be a tasty snack, has begun to select for the snakes that rattle little or not at all...so rattlers could be getting more dangerous because of that.

#10 ·
After watching the video, I doubt that was a cottonmouth. For it's length it was too thin. Pit vipers tend to be thicker bodied and when threatened try to look even fatter by broadening their body. Without actually seeing this snake better, I would guess it was actually a Gray or black rat snake.

#21 ·
Actually after watching the video again It's probably a
Pine Snake

This is a Cottonmouth. Notice the "Speckling" of the belly. Also how much thicker it is for a snake of about the same length.

The snake in the video has an almost totally white belly. I'm fairly certain (@95% sure) it's NOT a Cottonmouth or Water Moccasin. Although Agkistrodon piscivorous AKA Water Moccasin has a narrower head than Most other pit vipers in the US, it still has a noticeable difference in head size when compared to the body.

#13 ·
Jellyfish (box & iurkundji), salties, funnelwebs & mouse, red belly blacks, blue ring octo's, jaws, brown's, tigers, taipans, adders, stonefish, redbacks, I'm so glad I moved away from them, seems like the creatures here are toys, lol. I encountered all those animals back home & never had a problem, on avg I'd see/remove a couple snakes a month from around the yard. Spent several years in the military sleeping on the ground out bush & never encountered anything either. Tell a lie, I did have a King Brown chase me once, it died of lead poisoning though.

Haven't had the chance to play with any of the wildlife here, not sure if I want to either!

#20 ·
unfortunately, your choices are misleading! There are a LOT of different species (32 known) of rattlesnake, some very deadly, some not so much.

While coral snakes have a very deadly neurotoxic venom that is nearly impossible to find antivenom for at the moment, it is very unaggressive. If you aren't picking it up, you are unlikely to get bit by one.

Mojave rattlesnake, western diamondbacks, eastern diamondbacks and southern pacific rattlesnakes are all extremely dangerous and common enough that encounters are frequent. Any of these species can deliver a lethal bite easily.

Water moccasins rarely cause death, but frequently cause massive tissue loss and sometimes amputations are necessary.

Copperheads very rarely cause death, but fingers are often lost due to tissue damage.

#22 ·
I totally agree with you.
I voted for the Coral Snake just on the thought of "IF bitten".

Water Moccasins sometimes congregate and multiple bites from multiple snakes would surely kill and fast. Yet the same is true of Rattlers "Denning up". I believe a western species of Rattler is the most worrisome if bitten, just not exactly which particular species it is...Black Tailed, Mojave, or some such....it has BOTH a Neurotoxin and a Hemotoxin.

#30 ·
I think rattlers are the nicest of the venomous snakes, I mean at least they give you a warning before they bite, other snakes aren't so nice...
Maybe they're nicer out in the desert, I've run into a few Timbers in Appalachia that didn't really feel like rattling at all apparently. :D:

Sometimes they break their buttons off as well. Don't have a rattler to rattle. Bottom line, I wouldn't bet my life on the kindless of a reptile. :D:

#24 ·
We have some rattlers around here, a few coral snakes but the only ones that worry me are the cottonmouths. They tend to be more aggressive. Every rattler or coral snake i have seen have either retreated or else held thier ground allowing me to. Cottonmouths on the other hand, I have had them come up to the boat while fishing and swim near a group of us that were swimming. Needless to say they developed a case of lead poisoning. If they leave me alone I will leave them alone, but moccasins sometimes wont. They will activley chase you.

#27 ·
I currently live in the Mohave desert. We have a snake called the Mohave green, no crap, it is the color of Mtn Dew right after it sheds it's skin. The damn thing is a relative of the water moccasin, it has both types of venom, and it is aggressive.

All the other snakes I've seen in western north America, sidewinders, diamond backs, desert rattles will all try and escape. I will let them do so. Mohave greens and moccasins will try and attack. They don't live long.

#28 ·
I voted rattle snake . More specific - the eastern diamond back . They are big , have huge fangs and pack lots of venom . You could die in 15 minutes from their bite .
The coral snake has the most powerfull venom but it doesn't have big fangs . It more or less has to chew on you to get the venom in .

#33 ·
Paramedics, SAR, etc. don't carry any kind of antivenin. If you get to a hospital there is no reason a Coral snake should be lethal. They just put you on a ventilator until your body metabolizes the venom. If you don't, the antivenin doesn't matter. NIH says there are 15-25 coral snake bites in the United States each year. It costs millions of dollars to produce antivenin for a couple dozen cases annually. Not profitable at all. Since hospitals have an alternative treatment, why bother? At least that is the reasoning.

Mexico still produces the stuff and that is what you see in the reptile house at the Zoo. Not legal for hospitals to use because it isn't FDA approved. That would cost millions of dollars itself.

For my money the Eastern and Western diamondbacks and the Mojave green are the most likely bites to cause death. The former because the volume of venom is so high and the latter because the neurotoxin makes for a lethal cocktail.

#34 ·
The only thing we ever have around here is copperheads we've been here twelve years and between dad and I we have killed maybe five or six. I have however spotted a congregation of water moccasins out on a lake I fish from time to time. I stayed on my side and they stayed on their side... all was well

#45 ·
Verrrrry Good! The saying I grew up with is

"Red touch yellow will kill a fellow,
Red touch Black - venom lack
OR - Friend of jack."

The thing is, is that all 3 EAT other snakes, However the Coral is the only one that is poisonous. Therefore the "Look Alike's" are "Friends of Jack".

Now try this one....

OR....

Or....

Or....

This one is not as easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.